2017 Memberships

sosos

Premiership Player
Apr 5, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
When Carlton start winning the sheep will flock. Until then just suck it up.

It may have a minor effect on membership but does anyone seriously give a stuff what the cavalcade of flogs that masquerade as the AFL media really think?

I may occasionally get slightly irritated but when the wins start to flow, the entertainment we will all gain from seeing them squirming as they finally have to give credit where it's due will be a sight to behold.

Patience. Green shoots. Etc.

Reckon Trigg may have a concern or two.
One million dollars taken out of revenue, is a concern for the club.

We're likely set-up for another loss this year. Pressure comes about.

I'd blame the former administration.....

We can blame others but that stands for little to those currently involved.

Pressure has to come on MLG and Trigg. We served up our excuse last year and at this stage, we have failed reeling in members.
Essendon have broken records and we're coming across as a broken record. Not what we want.
Would rather not use the * method of gaining members.

What was their method though? Connecting? Us vs them? More work behind the scenes? Better marketing?

Don't worry about what one may do and the other may not. They have money in the bank to further their climb.......and we may not.
Inject your players
Drag it out through the courts
Build an us vs them mentality to keep the club alive
Embark on a BS redemption year
Bingo - more members (not convinced it will last, particularly if wins are scarce)

Nov 4, 2003
Earth, near Carlton.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Our marketing Dept fights an up hill battle, everything is usually so negative about us in the media (not fully undeserved) where as other clubs (richmond, *) have under performed massively but are regularly praised in the media for accomplishing less.

* warranted a 2 mil fine and year suspension for players but listen to the words "comeback story"

makes it very hard to sell our brand.
The football department mangles the media department which mangles the message and lines of communication.

The marketing department is then left with what remains to make promotions.

Our media department needs to be less enamoured with the minutia of the club and start giving them more talking points.

Nov 4, 2003
Earth, near Carlton.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
When Carlton start winning the sheep will flock. Until then just suck it up.

It may have a minor effect on membership but does anyone seriously give a stuff what the cavalcade of flogs that masquerade as the AFL media really think?

I may occasionally get slightly irritated but when the wins start to flow, the entertainment we will all gain from seeing them squirming as they finally have to give credit where it's due will be a sight to behold.

Patience. Green shoots. Etc.
2012 - 45k
2013 - 50k
2014 - 47k
2015 - 47k
2016 - 51k

That's a pretty flat line.

sosos

Premiership Player
Apr 5, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
And the negative media are possibly partially to blame for the low numbers. But they both will change when the team start winning.

I like what Mlo and Trigg are doing so far though I reckon the membership department is overdue for a shakeup.

agro

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 7, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Inject your players
Drag it out through the courts
Build an us vs them mentality to keep the club alive
Embark on a BS redemption year
Bingo - more members (not convinced it will last, particularly if wins are scarce)

As I recall we did have a huge spike in members back in 2002, after the AFL reamed us and we came up with the "It's my Club it's personal" campaign.

I think we went from 27,000 to 33,000 members.

I'm also pretty sure we dropped nearly 5000 members after we sacked Fevola back in 2010, not sure how many we've won back.

As I recall we did have a huge spike in members back in 2002, after the AFL reamed us and we came up with the "It's my Club it's personal" campaign.

I think we went from 27,000 to 33,000 members.

I'm also pretty sure we dropped nearly 5000 members after we sacked Fevola back in 2010, not sure how many we've won back.

If accurate, just shows how many morons we had as members.

goreds

Premiership Player
Oct 10, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Let's get to the 'G' then build the membership, we are 12 months away from where our membership team can have a real affect on the emotional side of gaining new /old members...

We have never been great in the membership game but once success starts we will be unstoppable... The old guard will come out their kids in tow...!

agro

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 7, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
If accurate, just shows how many morons we had as members.

I'm not talking about the 200 sad cases who marched up Royal Parade when we sacked Fevola, they were morons.

But I'm not sure the club has done anything to address the 5000 members who disappeared after he was sacked, a lot of those would have been junior members who would now be getting to senior membership age, we have in fact lost a generation of members, very hard to get them back.

I'm not talking about the 200 sad cases who marched up Royal Parade when we sacked Fevola, they were morons.

But I'm not sure the club has done anything to address the 5000 members who disappeared after he was sacked, a lot of those would have been junior members who would now be getting to senior membership age, we have in fact lost a generation of members, very hard to get them back.

Yeah that's a fair call.. overall though, in my many years following the Blues, I can hardly ever recall the Club ever being really proactive in explaining anything to us fans, especially from a membership perspective.. pretty sad really.

F_therest

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
We can blame others but that stands for little to those currently involved.

Pressure has to come on MLG and Trigg. We served up our excuse last year and at this stage, we have failed reeling in members.
Essendon have broken records and we're coming across as a broken record. Not what we want.

It seems like they're doing so many things right though? In terms of off-field appointments like SOS and Bolts, our team is clearly heading in the right direction for the better on field.

They were able to get a womens team and they promoted it quite heavily, with Vescio being one of the faces of the competition in adverts in general on TV and on the AFL site.

They have been more transparent with members and i think are trying to engage with supporters more in general.

The Carlton media team has improved content, especially 'The Journey'.

I think the wheels are slowly turning, it was always going to be difficult because we were coming from such a low, disengaged base. We've been a poor team for basically 15 years, and the Mick Malthouse era was particularly alienating...not just because we did poorly, but his personality was very off-putting in the media. Even i didn't want to watch his press conferences as they'd make me cringe.

I think we'll be fine in a few years as we continue to improve on-field plus gain more women members. Though im not sure how teams like Essendon and Richmond are so far ahead of us as they haven't been particularly successful of late either.

Nov 11, 2005
Queensland
AFL Club
Carlton
What has become of the extra supporters who bought memberships last year? Did they jump back off the bandwagon because all & sundry were predicting gloom & doom for this year? Or were they the same supporters who purchased memberships in Malthouse's first season as coach & then jumped of in the following 2 years (the numbers during the Malthouse "era" were higher than any of the years leading up to 2013)?

Personally, I think we still have the same problem we have had for an eternity. There are plenty of people out there prepared to identify as Carlton supporters, but there would seem to be a finite number prepared to take it to that next step & purchase a membership.

Cripps17

Club Legend
Oct 1, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
What has become of the extra supporters who bought memberships last year? Did they jump back off the bandwagon because all & sundry were predicting gloom & doom for this year?
Last year I paid around $60 each for 2x Junior Interstate memberships which came with a junior package. This year they are $70 but it no longer comes with the junior package (as an aside the junior package looks worse this year).

Taking the only thing of value to children away from an otherwise worthless membership has, I'm sure, cost them more than just my two memberships.

I doubt the reasons are so frivolous, as you're suggesting, for many.

Jun 4, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Just had a quick look at essendons membership packages for interstate overseas and digital - as that is relevant to myself and compared them with carltons. Carlton is ever so slightly cheaper and offers virtually the same things. I would like to see a demographic breakdown of each clubs memberships... I.e. Age location etc. I'm sure the clubs have access to it but I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't.
Another point, did some Auskick coaching in Sydney and a lot of the youngsters choose their teams based on the mascot... Got a lot of "what even is a blue"

slashin_velvet

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 5, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys, STL Blues
Just had a quick look at essendons membership packages for interstate overseas and digital - as that is relevant to myself and compared them with carltons. Carlton is ever so slightly cheaper and offers virtually the same things. I would like to see a demographic breakdown of each clubs memberships... I.e. Age location etc. I'm sure the clubs have access to it but I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't.
Another point, did some Auskick coaching in Sydney and a lot of the youngsters choose their teams based on the mascot... Got a lot of "what even is a blue"

Should have pointed out that their state team in the state of origin are the blues.

think this is where cc and navy nina can actually earn their money

dragonsblues

Club Legend
Jun 23, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
What was their method though? Connecting? Us vs them? More work behind the scenes? Better marketing?

Don't worry about what one may do and the other may not. They have money in the bank to further their climb.......and we may not.

As someone who works in marketing, our clubs effort is woeful. Bound By Blue? C'mon, absolute rubbish. Too soft and meh for a football club.

In the past with efforts like "They know we're coming" may have attracted some jibs, but were the exact sort of slogans that rallied the base.

The club needs to look at its social media, member engagement and overall marketing campaigns. They do the bare minimum and are risk averse.

Back