Player Watch #18: Jake Melksham – back for 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

GWS Josh Kelly, I'd imagine. Out of contract by the sounds of it. I would even give up ANB, Garland and Spencil to make it happen.
I'd honestly give up our first and second. He's a ripper.

I'd honestly give up our first and second. He's a ripper.

We shouldn't need to. I'm working off the tried and tested 'junk + junk + junk == gun' online trading equation.

Imagine 2020:

B: Smith OMac Frost
HB: Hibberd TMac Hunt
C: Stretch Viney Brayshaw
HF: Petracca Hogan Watts
F: Garlett Weideman Kent
R: Gawn Tyson Oliver
Int: Salem NJones Bugg Kennedy
Gee I hope the bolded aren't playing first team footy for us in 2020.

Jeffys best footy has him comfortably in the best 18, but unlikely we keep seeing it on a regular basis if you go off his career. He'll consistently kick 30+ a year, but he is far too inconsistent week to week.

Both Bugg and Kennedy I prefer as depth over the M Jones/Bail/Terlich days, but they shouldn't be best 22 without injuries.

Well that's one way to get Melksham out of the side!

MELBOURNE defender Jake Melksham has been fined $10,000 after misleading AFL investigators.

The Demon was slapped with the sanction after an inquiry into activity on his betting account.

"It is crucial for the integrity of the competition that participants in the AFL give honest evidence in the course of investigations under the AFL rules," AFL general counsel Andrew Dillon said in a statement on Thursday.

"Jake has acknowledged his mistake in this case, is genuinely remorseful and will assist us to deliver this message in the future to players coming into the AFL competition."

Surely at least a 3 game ban?...Please?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am really building a solid volume of hate towards melkmellow. And I don't tend to hate. This is serious

For mine I think it's extra annoying because he cost a second rounder. This means he will get games ahead of others because the coaches don't want to look like they stuffed up. One half decent game will get him another 5 terrible ones too. Reminds me of how Lehman keeps picking Mitch Marsh for the test team, he'll come good soon, eventually, right?

Melk would have to play a 3-5 really solid games in a row to convince me he should be anywhere near this team while Brayshaw sits in the VFL.

For mine I think it's extra annoying because he cost a second rounder. This means he will get games ahead of others because the coaches don't want to look like they stuffed up. One half decent game will get him another 5 terrible ones too. Reminds me of how Lehman keeps picking Mitch Marsh for the test team, he'll come good soon, eventually, right?

Melk would have to play a 3-5 really solid games in a row to convince me he should be anywhere near this team while Brayshaw sits in the VFL.

I still get angry about how much we gave up in that trade, and the length and $$$ involved in his contract.

Reminds me how they kept picking Dawes ahead of Pedo.

I don't get what was so crazy about giving up a second rounder for Melksham? In the 2015 draft, what were we going to get with a second round pick? Lovell? Dunkley? I look back at this draft and it's mediocre from pick 20 onwards, and only Adams might be able to slot into our best 22(but I'd rather Frost in the long run). Honestly, if Jake was playing in the guts for us, he'd be having much more of an impact and people wouldn't be on his back as much. That's where he's suited for now. Jake needs a spell in the 2s to get used to playing that half back role but this is a quick guy with good height and the ability to spear some beautiful drop punts. Just needs some consistency and confidence. Goodwin is a smart bloke and has worked with Jake before, and knows Jake's strengths and weaknesses. Put our faith in our coach please

I think people are overreacting a little on shakes. Hopefully with some more footy under his belt he will hit more passes than he misses.
The problem I have is I detested him before we got him, and he's done nothing to make me like him any more now that he's a dee. In fact it's probably worse because now along with not liking him I have to be frustrated at his under performance

The problem I have is I detested him before we got him, and he's done nothing to make me like him any more now that he's a dee. In fact it's probably worse because now along with not liking him I have to be frustrated at his under performance

Oh yeah he came in already hated much like Lumumba so he has to prove himself. Kennedy came across having done less than Melksham so really receives no hate. In saying that he'd wanna be better to hold his spot infront of Pig

Remove this Banner Ad

Back