Analysis The Matt Taberner effect

Remove this Banner Ad

Lets give Griff more than a 1 and done run in the 1's before dumping him back to Peel.

Similarly, lets see Taberner back up his 5 goal effort against a tough, in form side like Souths before declaring him back up to AFL standard in a 1-way traffic game like Easts.
A lovely piece of alliteration there Nickos66.

I agree to a point but having only Cmac and Kersten structurally is not tall enough. Sandi and Griffin do not really help down there either. Maybe bring in tabs and leave Kersten there, CMac is pretty mobile and good at ground level also. I am not really a Taberner fan he is not the strongest overhead mark but he is more of a threat than Kersten or CMac. I am gutted Apeness is injured again I had high hopes for him this year to be second ruck and tall target.

Agreed
Who is the Freo Josh Kennedy type? We have plenty of candidates for a Lecras type (CMac, Kersten even to an extent, Walters, Fyfe if we need). The huge man up forward has not been particularly successful for many teams (occasionally Patton at GWS but otherwise not much) so Sandi/Griff aren't adding more than a dedicated tall and athletic player like Tabs/Apeness.

PFFFFFFFT forget the Tabs Affect. The Dawson effect is where it is at.

Whenever Dawson kicks a goal, the next season we do really well.

2012 Dawson kicks 2 goals and we get to the GF in 2013.

2014 Dawson kicks 1 goal and we win a minor premiership in 2015.

2009 Dawson kicks 2 goals for St Kilda and they reach the GF the next year (2010).

Dawson didn't kick a goal in 2015, so we did poorly in 2016. Dawson didn't kick a goal last year, so it is a forgone conclusion we will preform poorly this year. My only hope is for Ross to play Dawson in the forward square so he can kick as many sitters as he wants. Imagine the performance in 2018 if Dawson kicks 3 goals this year. We'll basically go undefeated.

Moral of the story is that Dawson knows when and how to kick em, for the maximum effect and is therefore our most valuable player.

2009 Dawson kicks 2 goals for St Kilda and they reach the GF the next year (2010).

Dawson didn't kick a goal in 2015, so we did poorly in 2016. Dawson didn't kick a goal last year, so it is a forgone conclusion we will preform poorly this year. My only hope is for Ross to play Dawson in the forward square so he can kick as many sitters as he wants. Imagine the performance in 2018 if Dawson kicks 3 goals this year. We'll basically go undefeated.

Moral of the story is that Dawson knows when and how to kick em, for the maximum effect and is therefore our most valuable player.
Muscling in on my domain, hey?

Love it. Those stats are irrefutable proof.:heavycheck:

Scary thing is I remember his sole goal in 2014. It was vs the crows in Subiaco and it was in the 3rd quarter when Freo kicked 5 or 6 goals to pull away from the crows. Still remember the half time score: 3.6.24 to freo, 3.8.26 to the crows. J-pod, Walker and betts were held goalless.

Agreed
Who is the Freo Josh Kennedy type? We have plenty of candidates for a Lecras type (CMac, Kersten even to an extent, Walters, Fyfe if we need). The huge man up forward has not been particularly successful for many teams (occasionally Patton at GWS but otherwise not much) so Sandi/Griff aren't adding more than a dedicated tall and athletic player like Tabs/Apeness.

Well things look a bit rosier now don't they?

Happy for Tabs to stay in the 2s to keep banging down the door!
Another 3.1 at the weekend, to go with 25 touches (and 6 hit outs). 14 goals in 5 games. Keep up the good work!

Well things look a bit rosier now don't they?

Happy for Tabs to stay in the 2s to keep banging down the door!
Another 3.1 at the weekend, to go with 25 touches (and 6 hit outs). 14 goals in 5 games. Keep up the good work!
Seems like he had an ok game. Bit unlucky to do it now. Freo are unlikely to do any changes.

Really good pressure on Kersten to perform, which he has been good but not great. Tabs just gotta keep it up and kick another bag- even a 5 would be extra good. 14 for the WAFL season so far.

Tab need to put scoreboard pressure early in the game in WAFL , not when the team is 4/5 goal behind in the second half.

It's quite simple - our present gameplan (like, the last two weeks) has been built around speed and pressure. We're not going to bring in three talls again up front, it just makes us too damned slow. The only way Tabs comes in is if Kersten comes out on form or injury.

I reckon Apeness would have a solid shot in this side - not incredibly slow, can clunk a mark and kick a few goals. Hope he comes good this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tabs knocking on the door, but no-one seems likely to exit and let him in on the way

All he can do is keep kicking 3+ a week in the WAFL and hope he gets a call up

It really is important that he keeps hitting the scoreboard. Nothing is more confident building for a fwd than seeing those balls sail through the big sticks with regularity. It needs to get to a point where he just feels automatic and even a bit irrational - that he will score every time when given the chance. That's what good fwds have. Anybody played a goal based sport (footy, basketball, soccer etc.) knows that feeling when you're on top of your game and you know, beyond what is actually reasonable, that it will go in. That's the sort of confidence he needs and will get if he just gets those 3-5 on most weeks.

It's quite simple - our present gameplan (like, the last two weeks) has been built around speed and pressure. We're not going to bring in three talls again up front, it just makes us too damned slow. The only way Tabs comes in is if Kersten comes out on form or injury.

I reckon Apeness would have a solid shot in this side - not incredibly slow, can clunk a mark and kick a few goals. Hope he comes good this year.
That's fine. At least Tabs goes in on merit. Unlike in 2015 where Pav was our main forward and Tabs didn't really have any competition for that 2nd forward spot.

Ever since we added Kersten last season, Tabs has got competition for that spot. Tabs kicked 3 again, that's good. I don't care if they are junk time goals, I just want him to contribute to the scoreboard.

Yep the addition of Sunshine and Shane certainly makes Tabs task considerably more difficult,he'll have to take his game to higher ground and bring consistency as well.
He'll raise to the task as he always has I'd say, but with the other two also building and with superior leading speed and mobility,combined with our improved delivery inside 50 Tabs is going to have to go to performance levels he's never been, to crack the 22.
Guess that's what improvement's all about?

freo maybe can experimental Tab in defense for a quarter of footy in WAFL . he had improve his ruck work , if he can play defense a bit that will be good , no harm give him some croz treatment if he is not knocking on the best 22 soon. Dont mind Dawson play forward for peel as long he mark in the forward line rather that fist it away.

Taberner is way faster than Apeness.

Taberner is way faster than Apeness.

Yeah, thought the same thing reading SB's post. I'd also say that Tabs is a better field kick when it comes to open play too. However, Apeness has that physicality way beyond what Tabs will ever have I reckon and a more natural ability to ruck.

Of course, unless Apeness can get a long term run without injury, it's all moot really.

Yeah, thought the same thing reading SB's post. I'd also say that Tabs is a better field kick when it comes to open play too. However, Apeness has that physicality way beyond what Tabs will ever have I reckon and a more natural ability to ruck.

Of course, unless Apeness can get a long term run without injury, it's all moot really.

I should have clarified that I meant Apeness rucking ability and physicality were more important, and that in not being terribly slow he's probably a fair bit quicker than Clarke and Griffin.

I should have clarified that I meant Apeness rucking ability and physicality were more important, and that in not being terribly slow he's probably a fair bit quicker than Clarke and Griffin.

Yeah, I think you're right. Apeness is quite mobile, and as a ruck option would be way ahead of Tabs. I think a fully fit Clarke (something we've not really seen for a while let's face it) would give Apeness a run for his money when it comes to mobility - though we're probably splitting hairs, and we're also being speculative given that neither Clarke nor Apeness can get/stay on the park at the moment.

Griff doesn't really "run" anymore. Meander is probably the best description.

I'd agree that Apeness is going to be critical if the game continues to head in the direction of just 1 pure ruckmen in the best 22 (provided he doesn't keep breaking down).

Tabs will never be anything but a 2-3 minute chop out.

Griff doesn't really "run" anymore. Meander is probably the best description.

I'd agree that Apeness is going to be critical if the game continues to head in the direction of just 1 pure ruckmen in the best 22 (provided he doesn't keep breaking down).

Tabs will never be anything but a 2-3 minute chop out.

Yep need to focus on him (Tabs) as KPF. Apeness to hopefully have sustained run of injury-freeness to develop into ruck/forward type.

Tab need to put scoreboard pressure early in the game in WAFL , not when the team is 4/5 goal behind in the second half.

Peels midfield has been getting spanked early in games though. Do you expect Tabs to run up the ground and get his own ball then kick it to himself? That is an unfair criticism.

I'd like to see him take a few centre bounces once in a while, if nothing else - just to get used to some physical contests and learn a little bit of the clearance game. Because currently, it's like he's unfamiliar with how to handle physical contact with the contested ball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back