meima

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 5, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool
If they say they only want to go to Vic, we lose leverage because I can see Carlton, Essendon and Hawthorn finishing near the bottom. If they nominate a club we get the leverage back with the threat of PSD.
Pre season draft , Carlton will get pick 1 loh.

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
A player can nominate a club and get there. That is the current status quo of the AFL. It could be even worse, we could be like the NRL where players try and leave mid-season.
Other than from GWS, has there been a player in their 2nd year (or 1st year) that has been traded in the past 3-4 off seasons? I haven't checked myself - would just be surprised to see clubs trading out players that quickly unless it was extreme circumstances.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Am I in some weird alternate reality where a 2nd year player dictates a trade to another club? He's not a free agent. We have invested a year in getting his wrist right. I think there is zero chance we'd consider trading him this early in his development but if for some strange reason he really wanted to go, and we entertained that idea then we'd be looking for something significant in return. But almost certainly, like Tucker, he'll have his contract extended later in the season. With Fyfe's contract still to be worked out and potentially quite a few delistings again I suspect we might delay a few contract discussions for the moment. ATM we have 25 players out of contract at the end of this year - by delisting some long term servants we'll free up a heap of TPP that can be used to shore up the youngster's contracts. I am incredibly confident we'll retain everyone we want to this year.
How many years was McCarthy at GWS? Or is that different?

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Other than from GWS, has there been a player in their 2nd year (or 1st year) that has been traded in the past 3-4 off seasons? I haven't checked myself - would just be surprised to see clubs trading out players that quickly unless it was extreme circumstances.
Just saw this but had already posted up a comment. The reality is players do move around now, and the GWS thing is part of the reason.

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
How many years was McCarthy at GWS? Or is that different?
Drafted in 2013. You do the maths ;) He was also under contract so it is a fair bit different.

But seriously, I would be interested if any 2nd year player has been traded out recently.

edit - Aish is the only one I have found so far not involving GWS (Brisbane > Collingwood at the end of 2015).

Last edited:

meima

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 5, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool
Urrrrr , hopefully balic WA godfather make him stay.

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Tom Boyd.
I did say except involving GWS - where they trade players as if they really are trading cards. And even if that wasn't GWS, and the same with Cam, the situation is vastly different to what we are talking about with Balic/Tucker/etc.

I just think if you are a second year player taken with a 2nd/3rd rounder you'd be dumb to move and interrupt your current development plan and in some ways have to start all over again. Once you come out of that development phase then I think a trade becomes a more realistic option for both your club and yourself.

scon

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2009
western australia
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Long haired Champs.
Before my dog's hairdresser told the dog 'The deal's already done' talk starts.
Two Harleys together have got huge amounts of grunt and speed.
Our track record says both will show loyalty for the time,belief,expertise and loot we've put into them.
They'll buy into the rewire.
They're mates and I reckon they'll play together for Freo.

Dirty_banchez

Premiership Player
Apr 15, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
I did say except involving GWS - where they trade players as if they really are trading cards. And even if that wasn't GWS, and the same with Cam, the situation is vastly different to what we are talking about with Balic/Tucker/etc.

I just think if you are a second year player taken with a 2nd/3rd rounder you'd be dumb to move and interrupt your current development plan and in some ways have to start all over again. Once you come out of that development phase then I think a trade becomes a more realistic option for both your club and yourself.

James Aish

Nathan Freeman aka Gordon Freeman

Wally Walpamur

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
If he wants to go, could look to package him up for a trade with Collingwood for Brodie Grundy?

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
James Aish
Yep - scroll a few posts up - found him as well ;) So one player in 3 years? I think it's fair to say, it doesn't happy very often and when it does, it's generally not for nothing and with a logical reason. However posters on BF seem to think you just have to want a young player who looks like good potential, pay nothing and instantly it happens. And on the reverse end, another club wants a player of ours, panic panic panic, he's going to leave, oh no! Nek minnut... contract extension and both parties act surprised :oops:

Hazelsnuts

Club Legend
Sep 17, 2016
The beach
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
North Beach. AIK Stockholm
A player can nominate a club and get there. That is the current status quo of the AFL. It could be even worse, we could be like the NRL where players try and leave mid-season.

Yeah just like Gibbs huh?
He got to go to Adelaide?
It only happens when it's mutually beneficial to both parties or free agency dictates the result.

Dirty_banchez

Premiership Player
Apr 15, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Balic will stay , contract already prepare .

Danny is already driving him to the airport in his Daewoo.

If he wants to go, could look to package him up for a trade with Collingwood for Brodie Grundy?

Trade needs more salsa + Mayo

Yep - scroll a few posts up - found him as well ;) So one player in 3 years? I think it's fair to say, it doesn't happy very often and when it does, it's generally not for nothing and with a logical reason. However posters on BF seem to think you just have to want a young player who looks like good potential, pay nothing and instantly it happens. And on the reverse end, another club wants a player of ours, panic panic panic, he's going to leave, oh no! Nek minnut... contract extension and both parties act surprised :oops:

2 players. Aish + Freeman. I agree though it only happens in rare occasions. When Freeman left there was a bit of bluster considering he hadn't even played a game.

It only happens when it's mutually beneficial to both parties or free agency dictates the result.

Gibbs is contracted for 2 more years. It is a different story if a player is contracted, and a few years at that.

Wally Walpamur

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
But it's not beneficial to let him walk to the PSD either, especially after the amount of work we've put into his injuries and rehab.

Wally Walpamur

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yea I agree. I would consider our first rounder and Balic for Grundy. Probably a long shot trying to convince him considering he's from SA and has been in Melbourne for five years. He's exactly what we are looking for though.

meima

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 5, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool

2 players. Aish + Freeman. I agree though it only happens in rare occasions. When Freeman left there was a bit of bluster considering he hadn't even played a game.

Gibbs is contracted for 2 more years. It is a different story if a player is contracted, and a few years at that.
The moment freo drafted Balic , you are not in favour of him . What he did to deserve this . ( Wrist injury).

Last edited:

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yea I agree. I would consider our first rounder and Balic for Grundy. Probably a long shot trying to convince him considering he's from SA and has been in Melbourne for five years. He's exactly what we are looking for though.
It is Collingwood - have to consider the Mayne factor. Straight swap for Suban? Nah... Maybe they take Suban as a free agent and pay him say $2m over 4 years. We then trade back that 2nd rounder for Grundy. Everyone wins!

Except the Pies... again

Hazelsnuts

Club Legend
Sep 17, 2016
The beach
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
North Beach. AIK Stockholm

I think when Buckley left Brisbane was the last time a second year player dictated their destination?
Nominating a club and going to the pre- season draft is too risky for all parties, won't happen unless the club and player have a major fallout, especially for a young player rated so highly.

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Oh memories...

Remember that time when we got a 2nd round compo for Mayne and then used it to get Brad Hill? So effectively swapped Chris for Brad. Good times!

Possibly only trumped by that time we drafted Blakely after West Coast decided to draft Lamb.

Interesting that Brad Hill and Blakely are locked away playing in our B22, whilst Lamb and Mayne are...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back