Gambling ads to be banned- potential replacement?

Remove this Banner Ad

donkeypunchd

Club Legend
Nov 26, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Reports are coming in that the Federal government is planning to ban gambling ads during live broadcasts, with the networks warning that FTA broadcasting may be effectively terminated if this comes to pass, such will be the loss of advertising revenue.

Gambling of course is an iconically Australian habit, associated by its very nature with sports. I Believe the AFL should lobby against this proposed move, but seek to align itself with other industries as replacement advertisers, particularly the alcohol and fast food industries. All true fans enjoy beer and pies, why not inject competition into the marketplace by opening this advertising space to more companies from these industries to replace gambling ads as a revenue source?

What will AFL.com.au and Channel 7 do?!?! Will there be 5 second pauses every 30 seconds and no more new content? How will they fill the space

I don't mind the idea of gambling ads being banned during live games in principle. It's clearly not something that benefits society in general and on that basis fair enough. However the OP's idea that they would go to alcohol advertising as an alternative - well what's the point of trading one societal issue for another. Maybe its time to align with something that is actually socially responsible.

From a financial point of view this is a very alarming turn of events. Many people simply won't pay to watch AFL (certainly not at the prices of current packages). So if this truly threatens FTA airing of football then AFL should definitely lobby against it from that perspective.

Thank goodness. I think NOTHING should be prohibited. However, I don't think they should be advertised. That includes alcohol, cigarettes or gambling (hopefully one day all drugs are legalised, but should also not be advertised).

I think that embedding the advertising gambling into tv shows like they are actual information is evil. It over normalises it and is getting kids into gambling way too early. Perhaps it will be a way to drop the game's revenue and bring the players pay back to something resembling a normal job. Also remove negative gearing so that footballers pay their fair share of tax as well.

Zero issues with this at all. Live betting gambling ads are extremely effective at getting people to both gamble and continue to gamble when they other wise wouldn't.

The gaming industry still gets to promote itself before games and still gets to sponsor just about every footy TV show and radio station that exists, a two hour period when the game is being played is not going to kill it. Imo it's similar to banning fast food advertising during children's television.

The afl coming out and saying it will impact funds to grassroots football is a disgrace. It only impacts grass roots footy if the afl chooses to prioritize it's own profits over grassroots footy and passes the loss there instead of its bottom line. Same excuses they are using against the current player pay dispute. It's their go to defence because it's emotive to sacrifice funds to kids and it's a disgrace that they continue to use it everytime they might take a profits hit.

I don't mind the idea of gambling ads being banned during live games in principle. It's clearly not something that benefits society in general and on that basis fair enough. However the OP's idea that they would go to alcohol advertising as an alternative - well what's the point of trading one societal issue for another. Maybe its time to align with something that is actually socially responsible.

From a financial point of view this is a very alarming turn of events. Many people simply won't pay to watch AFL (certainly not at the prices of current packages). So if this truly threatens FTA airing of football then AFL should definitely lobby against it from that perspective.

I think that argument is bullshit.

The article I was reading today says that sportsbet pay 10 million a year to the AFL to advertise. If the margin between paid and FTA is so razor thin then even betting ads won't save it. Also I think the Federal anti-siphoning laws might have a bit to say about no FTA.

From what I can see, its a hollow threat to try and preserve that gambling income but in the long run, it wouldn't be critical to game to lose it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They should bring in a new rule where an ad cant be repeated twice within the same block of ad's...... its bloody ridiculous... feel like im watching sportsbet ad's on loop..... doesnt make me want to bet, makes me really really not want to use sportsbet as my choice of bookie If I do bet... (lmao just came on TV as I was writing this)

Reports are coming in that the Federal government is planning to ban gambling ads during live broadcasts, with the networks warning that FTA broadcasting may be effectively terminated if this comes to pass, such will be the loss of advertising revenue.

Gambling of course is an iconically Australian habit, associated by its very nature with sports. I Believe the AFL should lobby against this proposed move, but seek to align itself with other industries as replacement advertisers, particularly the alcohol and fast food industries. All true fans enjoy beer and pies, why not inject competition into the marketplace by opening this advertising space to more companies from these industries to replace gambling ads as a revenue source?

Matthew Campbell, Nathan Brown and Samuel L Jackson does not like this.

One, we had games on FTA for years....possibly decades. Why stop now? Other than Uncle Rupert bought most of them from under us. (Over here in WA at least). I can't see how losing ad revenue from betting agencies should change things that much.
Two, I would be happy to see all betting advertising gone from the media and not have it mentioned in sports shows, news et al.

I remember two elections ago, on the news itself, they were talking about the odds agencies were putting on the outcome of the election.
Shits clearly gone too far.

There will always something to be banned.

Cigarettes -> Alcohol -> Gambling -> 'Junk Food' -> Probably cars or something...

I do enjoy that we don't have the constant bombardment of medicinal ads like in the US.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back