Welcome Harley Bennell (To make long awaited Dockers Debut!)

Logue

Debutant
Apr 5, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
I find it incongruous to say the least that, in a week where the AFL (rightly) made a big issue of the treatment of Indigenous players in the Showdown, they chose on their website to make a similar issue of Harley being asked to leave a flight - with the heading of "Drunk Docker". The story has been front and centre for days, which I doubt would have been the case with a non-Indigenous player.

He was dunk, and he's a Docker - it has nothing to do with the colour of his skin, and I hate that Ross ever went down that path.

Harley is a paid athlete in the highest sporting code in the competition and he continually falls short of the behavioural requirements.

StingBitten

The Midland Steal
May 31, 2012
Bayswater
AFL Club
Fremantle
He was dunk, and he's a Docker - it has nothing to do with the colour of his skin, and I hate that Ross ever went down that path.

Harley is a paid athlete in the highest sporting code in the competition and he continually falls short of the behavioural requirements.

My understanding of that was Ross was being questioned repeatedly over Bennell's injury last year as being drug-related as opposed to being genuine. That's challenging the integrity of the club and a range of other things, I think he had every right to make those statements.

Aug 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
the same wallys that went hard on bennell went hard on Johnno. I have this theory that Indigenous people are worse at hiding their issues because culturally they are more open and honest and less adept at hiding said issues. I can personally vouch for seeing two dockers taking pills at a party with me and my sister. These guys were never caught and have never been mentioned in the media. The eagles drug guys got years of free passes from the media, where are Bennells free passes? We used to joke about getting sleeping pills off of Kerr after a big night years before any of that came out as well. If you were dodgy in the East Freo area you knew about those guys years before the media mentioned them and I garentee the media knew when we did, but free passes man.

StingBitten

The Midland Steal
May 31, 2012
Bayswater
AFL Club
Fremantle
the same wallys that went hard on bennell went hard on Johnno. I have this theory that Indigenous people are worse at hiding their issues because culturally they are more open and honest and less adept at hiding said issues. I can personally vouch for seeing two dockers taking pills at a party with me and my sister. These guys were never caught and have never been mentioned in the media. The eagles drug guys got years of free passes from the media, where are Bennells free passes? We used to joke about getting sleeping pills off of Kerr after a big night years before any of that came out as well. If you were dodgy in the East Freo area you knew about those guys years before the media mentioned them and I garentee the media knew when we did, but free passes man.

As an Indigenous ex-footballer at my work said - 'your game is too complex, we can only play the one with the blatant rules'.

That's not a statement about intelligence - it's more to do with red tape and beuracracy, double-meanings, hidden agendas and power imbalances. In Indigenous culture everything is hung out to dry publicly (sometimes too openly).

I'd say that doesn't just apply to Indigenous culture, there's several other communities that are far more plain-speaking and open than Western societies or should I say, Western-run corporate ideologies and practices.

Jesus, Mary & Joseph ....he's probably frustrated as all s**t as he watches his career fade away into anonymity.....he looks like he's stuffed up and had too many drinks after a period of being off booze totally.

This isn't because he is aboriginal - this is because he is a human .....so stop being humanist.

Ressies runner

Club Legend
Jun 13, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Footy Show tonight , apparently they have the real reason he was kicked off the plane, if anyone is interested in watching it

May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
“At some stage he’s also decided to mix a sleeping drug or sleeping drugs with that alcohol consumption,” Barrett said.

“That was the reason that airline staff felt compelled to remove him or ask him to be removed from that flight from Melbourne to the Gold Coast.”

S L E E P I N G P I L L S !!!! :fearscream::fearscream::fearscream::fearscream:

Wally Walpamur

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
“At some stage he’s also decided to mix a sleeping drug or sleeping drugs with that alcohol consumption,” Barrett said.

“That was the reason that airline staff felt compelled to remove him or ask him to be removed from that flight from Melbourne to the Gold Coast.”

S L E E P I N G P I L L S !!!! :fearscream::fearscream::fearscream::fearscream:
I take a Valium and glass of red every flight for my anxiety of flying. Surprised I ever got out of Perth now.

Sweetback

Cancelled
Dec 23, 2014
I take a Valium and glass of red every flight for my anxiety of flying. Surprised I ever got out of Perth now.
I was going to post a similar thing. My special lady friend is scared shitless of flying and we had a heap of Valium before a long haul flight and nobody gave two shits. So was Harley being belligerent?

Last edited:

Sigwald

All Australian
Sep 28, 2003
Soest, NL
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Amsterdam Devils
I was going to post a similar thing. My special lady friends is scared shitless of flying and we had a heap of Valium before a long haul flight and nobody gave two shits. So was Harley being belligerent?
I'm sure Barrett would've brought it up if he was.

First class footy journalism that...

estibador

purple haze
Mar 2, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Cowboys, Packers, Scorchers
Once again the Fremantle Football Club has been caught trying to sweep an issue under the rug.

You could say they were caught... napping!

65759538.jpg

Last edited:

estibador

purple haze
Mar 2, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Cowboys, Packers, Scorchers
So let's assume this is true, who actually gives a s**t? Is this meant to make it a bigger story?

If anything it makes the whole thing even more of a non-issue for me.

se17enteen

Premiership Player
Jun 6, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dillon Panthers
Virgin told Harley to leave and then contacted The Suns to inform them (they didn't know that Harley doesn't play for them anymore) which is kinda funny.

I reckon the Suns is Barrett's source. Looks like everybody knew before Freo did which is embarrassing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back