Status
Not open for further replies.

StingBitten

The Midland Steal
May 31, 2012
Bayswater
AFL Club
Fremantle
Balic played out the entire game just fine last week - and unless something major happened at training today I'd say he's just generally sore as opposed to spending a long-term stint on the sideline. He'll back in a week or so.

Tucker in is awesome - two great weeks and he gets another shot.

We're well in this game.

Carnthedockers

Premiership Player
Aug 31, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Balic played out the entire game just fine last week - and unless something major happened at training today I'd say he's just generally sore as opposed to spending a long-term stint on the sideline. He'll back in a week or so.

We're well in this game.
Balic was in that big contest before the Mcarthy goal. Could have been then?

Jan 14, 2008
AFL Club
Fremantle

We're well in this game.

Balic hasn't trained this week.

Jul 15, 2007
Too far from my bed
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Patriots
Must have been tempting for the selection committee to go to DPearce for Balic. Tucker in is a good call though and, right now, an upgrade really. So in theory, (Walter's niggle aside) we go in with probably a stronger side than we've had in recent weeks.

Nth have made a good changes too and are a better team than Owen suggests - interesting night coming up. Hopefully we continue to put on a good show.

DannyTheDoorman

Club Legend
Apr 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Hajduk Split

We're well in this game.

Harley Balic didnt appear out on the track at all on Tuesday and today he was in the gym forecourt area for most of the main session with the rehab guys. He came out onto the track with the rehab guys once the main session had finished and didn't seem troubled in is movement in the initial stretching session so I don't think he has a major injury.

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
for some reason i thought North were much taller up forward. im thinking we'll see a lot of end-to-end action on Saturday.

Hope like hell that Balic isn't sidelined for too long.

This. People were worried about the big blokes but really it was just the two rucks and Ben Brown. Now it's Goldstein, Ben Brown and Mason Wood who is a gun but also more of a third tall and underdone in theory.

We've made the right call IMO. Dawson and AP are the only two that can really match Ben Brown's height and one is rightly out of favour, the other injured. Hindering the quality and quantity of supply from the midfield and good use of the spare man like always will be far more important.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 30, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Freo and Bulldogs, ManU
Agree that it's a weird decision for them to rest Preuss. He's been the most impressive player for North this year, and was my biggest concern with him floating forward because we have no matchup for him.

Not a problem now.

North have looked a little pedestrian midfield.

We're putting together quite the running machine. Maybe they felt they would get exposed for pace?

ydraw

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 27, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
By the time we get a decent ruck/forward, the trend will change again and we will be back at square 1.

The trend has never really changed though. You've always wanted 1 dedicated ruckman and 1 key forward who can chop out the ruckman for 5-10 minutes per quarter. It's been the same for at least 50 years.

The only thing that's really changed is that ruckmen have gotten taller and taller, which has meant it's become a lot harder to find a player who is both a good key forward and a competitive ruckman. Which is why players like Tippett are so valuable.

heavho

Club Legend
Dec 22, 2005
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
fremantle
Balic out is a bummer. Looked to of had a bit more confidence last week. Balic for tucker hasn't effected the structure of the team this week so it's still the solid one that has been the goods the last two weeks. Still not sold on mj in the ruck as sandi back up .Anyone else can think of a better solution with the current 22 that could take mjs spot?

WeaselWJ

All Australian
May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
May have been discussed earlier, but did I notice DPearce isn't even listed as an emergency this week. I assume this means he's going to get a run with Peel? Any confirmation on this?
Peel have a bye this week.

schnoods

Club Legend
May 21, 2012
Warn(a)bro
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think North are worried about mobility with our current running game. With their current slump it's worth rolling the dice and seeing a more mobile setup and a forward line that can deliver a score, as that was their only issue last week against the dogs. Interesting game, it definitely going to be a slugfest and tightly fought

TheMcManusNose

Premiership Player
Apr 21, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Vancouver Canucks
North have looked a little pedestrian midfield.

We're putting together quite the running machine. Maybe they felt they would get exposed for pace?

There are a few others they should probably drop if they're worried about pace. But yeah you'd think that could be the rationale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back