Preview 2017 Young Talent Time

Remove this Banner Ad

http://footyprophet.com/wafl-colts-scouting-notes-sherry-seals-win-for-bulldogs/

JOHN FRAMPTON
RUCK| SOUTH FREMANTLE | 199CM| 87KG | 27-9-1999

Arguably the best ruck on the ground, Frampton was a lone hand against Subiaco’s Ben Miller and Joshua Leuing. He finished the day with 22 possessions, 23 hit-outs and four marks. His work-rate around the ground and his ability to take strong marks will be a key reason for the Bulldogs to make the finals this year.

http://footyprophet.com/wafl-colts-scouting-notes-falcons-down-lions-in-thriller/

BRAYDEN AINSWORTH | SUBIACO
MIDFIELD | 21-11-1998

Arguably the best player for the Lions, Ainsworth finished with 24 possessions, five marks, five tackles, and two goals in a command performance. Both his goals came through his smarts, as he was able to burst through congestion before snapping them both through. Ainsworth’s decision-making is elite, and whenever he had the ball the game looked in slow motion.

http://footyprophet.com/wafl-colts-scouting-notes-subiaco-hold-firm-against-thunderous-pressure/
MIDFIELD

Ainsworth backed up his performance against West Perth last week. In the midfield he gathered 24 possessions, took five marks, recorded three inside 50s and kicked a goal in a dominant display. He also showed a damaging fend off similar to how Dustin Martin and Sam Powell-Pepper fend off their opponents. Ainsworth’s stocks are soaring by the minute.

It's only early days in the season but I've cooled my jets about drafting another ruck or ruck/forward. The game seems to definitely become more about speed and mobility and teams can't afford two rucks in their B22 anymore. I think the trend is heading far more towards a primary ruck that can compete but plays as an extra midfielder around the ground plus a KPP that can pinch hit in the ruck but doesn't have to be incredible at it. Winning the tap doesn't seem as important as it has in the past. Having Sandi is an advantage in winning stoppages but finding another tap ruck as dominant as him is pretty unlikely. Even if Griffin and Clarke are no longer on our list at the end of this year we still have Darcy, Apeness, Strnadica, Alex Pearce and Taberner all as potential rucks. Taberner is unlikely to ever be a primary ruck but I wouldn't say it was impossible for the other 4. I just don't see the benefit of adding another young draftee ruck or ruck/fwd to the list. If Darcy (or one of the others) isn't ready to cover Sandi next year then we should be trading in a backup ruck, not drafting (or get one of the two that are available as free agents).

With our first pick I think we should be targeting the best true or versatile KPF imo. You look at the best forward lines like Adelaide's and Lynch is 191cm, McGovern is 191cm, Walker 194cm. Jenkins is their only tall KPF @ 200cm and they've done more than fine this year whilst he's been out. I've really liked our shorter and faster forward line lately and think it will only get more dangerous over time. I still think this might be our best forward line by the end of the year:

HF Bennell McCarthy Crozier
F Kersten Logue Walters

Unlike past forward lines of ours, everyone is fast and dynamic in this one. And we will rotate in midfielders Fyfe, Mundy, Neale, Balic for even more unpredictability. I'm not convinced adding Apeness, Taberner or another RUC/KPF makes it any more functional and it would lose a bit on the forward pressure and x-factor side. So if we are going to draft a KPF I'd be focussing less on height and more on whether they could be a better version of Logue or Kersten in that line-up above. If you could get a guy like Fogarty who is a similar size to Walker and can also play through the midfield then that's maybe the most ideal scenario of all. Still my prediction for #1 so little chance we'll get him but it's a long time until draft day.

It's only early days in the season but I've cooled my jets about drafting another ruck or ruck/forward. The game seems to definitely become more about speed and mobility and teams can't afford two rucks in their B22 anymore. I think the trend is heading far more towards a primary ruck that can compete but plays as an extra midfielder around the ground plus a KPP that can pinch hit in the ruck but doesn't have to be incredible at it. Winning the tap doesn't seem as important as it has in the past. Having Sandi is an advantage in winning stoppages but finding another tap ruck as dominant as him is pretty unlikely. Even if Griffin and Clarke are no longer on our list at the end of this year we still have Darcy, Apeness, Strnadica, Alex Pearce and Taberner all as potential rucks. Taberner is unlikely to ever be a primary ruck but I wouldn't say it was impossible for the other 4. I just don't see the benefit of adding another young draftee ruck or ruck/fwd to the list. If Darcy (or one of the others) isn't ready to cover Sandi next year then we should be trading in a backup ruck, not drafting (or get one of the two that are available as free agents).

With our first pick I think we should be targeting the best true or versatile KPF imo. You look at the best forward lines like Adelaide's and Lynch is 191cm, McGovern is 191cm, Walker 194cm. Jenkins is their only tall KPF @ 200cm and they've done more than fine this year whilst he's been out. I've really liked our shorter and faster forward line lately and think it will only get more dangerous over time. I still think this might be our best forward line by the end of the year:

HF Bennell McCarthy Crozier
F Kersten Logue Walters

Unlike past forward lines of ours, everyone is fast and dynamic in this one. And we will rotate in midfielders Fyfe, Mundy, Neale, Balic for even more unpredictability. I'm not convinced adding Apeness, Taberner or another RUC/KPF makes it any more functional and it would lose a bit on the forward pressure and x-factor side. So if we are going to draft a KPF I'd be focussing less on height and more on whether they could be a better version of Logue or Kersten in that line-up above. If you could get a guy like Fogarty who is a similar size to Walker and can also play through the midfield then that's maybe the most ideal scenario of all. Still my prediction for #1 so little chance we'll get him but it's a long time until draft day.

On two rucks, yes I certainly hear you. However it's more about an effective ruck/KPF, something we've not had since J-Lo. And they are kind of unicorns to an extent. Jenkins, Tippett, Wright, Lobb. I actually rate Lycett as a forward too. That's probably it right now. I think it's less teams aren't playing that player/they're not effective than they are just ******* hard to find.

I'm not sure the game has changed so much in this space of time. Barring the 3rd man up rule which I think if anything has re-emphasised the reliance on a decent ruck. Your #1 ruck still needs a rest and it's hard to see where the backup comes from on our list after Johnno goes without speculating wildly about long shots. Let alone the Sandi replacement.

It's not like the genuine monster KPF is out of favour either. There's plenty killing it around the league right now. If you're speaking with reference to our forward line then yeah mobility is king right now, but that's a function of our list not necessarily a function of league trends. I think with respect to this draft, part of it is simply the fact that there are a couple of good potential ruck/KPFs right around our draft range who might fill a hole on our list. If we fall in the Brander/Hayes range and we think they're the best player then great. If we don't and we take someone like Balta because we think he's the best player available then also great. The route we take is likely to be dictated by personnel, and as we've seen that seems to give us the best result. Rather than attempting to shoe horn players who just aren't very good at a specified role into it.

Last edited:

http://footyprophet.com/wafl-colts-scouting-notes-sherry-seals-win-for-bulldogs/

JOHN FRAMPTON
RUCK| SOUTH FREMANTLE | 199CM| 87KG | 27-9-1999

Arguably the best ruck on the ground, Frampton was a lone hand against Subiaco’s Ben Miller and Joshua Leuing. He finished the day with 22 possessions, 23 hit-outs and four marks. His work-rate around the ground and his ability to take strong marks will be a key reason for the Bulldogs to make the finals this year.

http://footyprophet.com/wafl-colts-scouting-notes-falcons-down-lions-in-thriller/

MIDFIELD | 21-11-1998

Arguably the best player for the Lions, Ainsworth finished with 24 possessions, five marks, five tackles, and two goals in a command performance. Both his goals came through his smarts, as he was able to burst through congestion before snapping them both through. Ainsworth’s decision-making is elite, and whenever he had the ball the game looked in slow motion.

http://footyprophet.com/wafl-colts-scouting-notes-subiaco-hold-firm-against-thunderous-pressure/
MIDFIELD

Ainsworth backed up his performance against West Perth last week. In the midfield he gathered 24 possessions, took five marks, recorded three inside 50s and kicked a goal in a dominant display. He also showed a damaging fend off similar to how Dustin Martin and Sam Powell-Pepper fend off their opponents. Ainsworth’s stocks are soaring by the minute.

I heard Schofield talking about Ainsworth this morning on the radio. Apparently he's only come up from Esperance recently and is now looking like he might get a late call up for the under 18's carnival.

I heard Schofield talking about Ainsworth this morning on the radio. Apparently he's only come up from Esperance recently and is now looking like he might get a late call up for the under 18's carnival.
Same listen to radio this morning, I prefer to look for draft option for freo 3rd round and 4th round + GC 4th than than first round . Once apeness + a.pearce is ready to go , this year draft can spend some develop time in wafl .

It's not like the genuine monster KPF is out of favour either. There's plenty killing it around the league right now. If you're speaking with reference to our forward line then yeah mobility is king right now, but that's a function of our list not necessarily a function of league trends.
Yeah I think this is where we disagree. Are any big monster forward/rucks really killing it atm? You can say Lobb makes an impact but he isn't the best KPF in his team - he's 3rd. All I was trying to say is I think we need to try and get a Patton/Cameron with our first rounder more so than a ruck/forward. I'd rather a Josh Kennedy than a Lycett. Would rather a Walker/Lynch than a Jenkins. And so on. No doubt we also need a solid ruck/fwd on our list, I just think a genuine KPF is more critical as they would have a much greater impact working alongside McCarthy etc. A KPF that can kick bags of goals week in, week out more so than another towering guy that might dominate in juniors because of his height but not have the necessary mobility and speed for that to translate in to a goal kicking forward in the AFL.

A KPF that can kick bags of goals week in, week out more so than another towering guy that might dominate in juniors because of his height but not have the necessary mobility and speed for that to translate in to a goal kicking forward in the AFL.

A bag every week? Let me know when you find one and I'll slaughter my firstborn child at the altar if you can sign em up!

A bag every week? Let me know when you find one and I'll slaughter my firstborn child at the altar if you can sign em up!
Yeah, why even try drafting one when the chance of finding one is so slim. Let's just pray one magically appears :)

Every single other club has at least one player averaging 1.8 goals per game except us this year. Every club except us and the Hawks has a KPF averaging 1.8g/g or more. The best teams have multiple KPFs averaging 2-4 goals per game. Crozier is our best averaging just 1.3g/g and McCarthy our best KPF with 1.2 (Mundy and Neale also on 1.2). Taberner only averaged 1.1 last year.

As for rucks and ruck/forwards... Goldstein 1.5g/g and Spencer 2g/g are the only two (over 1g/g) with 15+ hit outs per game. Casboult 1.8, Watts 1.8 and Lobb 1.4 but only 6.8, 5.5 and 4.8 avg hit outs each.

If you still think another ruck/forward on our list is more critical than a genuine KPF I'm very curious why.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, why even try drafting one when the chance of finding one is so slim. Let's just pray one magically appears

You did say a bag per week and I was just being cheeky. That to me is 5+ and the Coleman medal winner hasn't had that sort of average in a while.

I agree, we need a good tall forward and am on the record for saying that Cam Mac needs a proper tall forward to work with rather than being our main target.

Yeah I think this is where we disagree. Are any big monster forward/rucks really killing it atm? You can say Lobb makes an impact but he isn't the best KPF in his team - he's 3rd. All I was trying to say is I think we need to try and get a Patton/Cameron with our first rounder more so than a ruck/forward. I'd rather a Josh Kennedy than a Lycett. Would rather a Walker/Lynch than a Jenkins. And so on. No doubt we also need a solid ruck/fwd on our list, I just think a genuine KPF is more critical as they would have a much greater impact working alongside McCarthy etc. A KPF that can kick bags of goals week in, week out more so than another towering guy that might dominate in juniors because of his height but not have the necessary mobility and speed for that to translate in to a goal kicking forward in the AFL.

Look I don't disagree with anything you've said there, I would be prioritising a KPF. Didn't say I wouldn't. That and a Sandi replacement are the big questions for me.

But I do disagree with the notion that the Ruck/KPF isn't really an important position going forward or that the league is moving away from it. I'm not going to turn my nose up at, say, drafting Hayes if Brander is gone and there's no KPF we rate similarly (not that I think you espouse this view).

I definitely would be looking at a pure ruck in the later rounds though if there are any options there. We saw last night how ******* important Sandi is to us. We need options there.

Watching the youtube highlights on Noughton last year, playing with Logue, and a Peel product, has a feel
good story feeling, similar to the Strnadica back to the future headline.

Hi Chris ,Ive had a good look at Peel Colts this season and there are a couple of kids that I think need to be looked at closer to the draft
Number 35Jaiden Kearing as a small forward , This kid has great awareness ,fantastic side step , make good position at stoppages and terrific on both sides .
number 18 Jakeb Shine KPP ,CHB , Great hands ,reads the play very well ,prepared to leave his man to make a contest ,make good decisions with ball in hand and gains plenty of yards .
I agree with other posters about Ainsworth . Subi also has a young Sudanese kid Benjamin Miller 196cm , 92 kg . This kid has a fantastic vertical leap ,very mobile ,takes a very good mark , very quick ,kicks both feet and has a very big tank .Subiaco Colts are very well coached and their strength and conditioning guy is first class.

I am amazed that no one has picked up Marlion Pickett from South Fremantle as a mature age recruit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back