Welcome Harley Bennell (To make long awaited Dockers Debut!)

Logue

Debutant
Apr 5, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
**** I hate Barrett. There's no reason to continue dragging this story out. It's such a nothing story.

That's rubbish - Bennell has a history of bevahioural issues, the first minute he's given some time off he writes himself off to the point of being ejected from a domestic flight, a combination of excessive alcohol, mixed with sleeping pills.

I also question the professionalism of the club - fancy giving him time off, in the middle of a rehab, almost, almost, condoning his binge drinking, putting it down to frustration and allowing him to head back to the Gold Coast where is behavioural habit really went of a cliff.

To the point his old club categorically asked its players not to associate with him.

Harley needs to go, he was acquired to add bite and the "two goals" needed to win a flag, we are now rebuilding, we need to create a high performance environment, he impedes this. Move him on.

Clems Knee

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
That's rubbish - Bennell has a history of bevahioural issues, the first minute he's given some time off he writes himself off to the point of being ejected from a domestic flight, a combination of excessive alcohol, mixed with sleeping pills.

I also question the professionalism of the club - fancy giving him time off, in the middle of a rehab, almost, almost, condoning his binge drinking, putting it down to frustration and allowing him to head back to the Gold Coast where is behavioural habit really went of a cliff.

To the point his old club categorically asked its players not to associate with him.

Harley needs to go, he was acquired to add bite and the "two goals" needed to win a flag, we are now rebuilding, we need to create a high performance environment, he impedes this. Move him on.

You clearly have no idea whatsoever.

The first minute he's given some time off? Orly?
His old club categorically asked its players not to associate with him? Orly?
Harley impedes a high performance environment?

So you twist s**t to suit your own crappy agenda. I find it hard to believe that you are not a troll.

Logue

Debutant
Apr 5, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
You clearly have no idea whatsoever.

The first minute he's given some time off? Orly?
His old club categorically asked its players not to associate with him? Orly?
Harley impedes a high performance environment?

So you twist s**t to suit your own crappy agenda. I find it hard to believe that you are not a troll.

Because I don't like our players being pulled off flights for being intoxicated on a cocktail of alcohol and prescription medicine?

Because I don't like players drinking in excess amidst a rehab program.

Because I'd like a professional environment as we transition and rebuild.

Yeh, I'm the issue here.

heavho

Club Legend
Dec 22, 2005
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
fremantle
I think it defenetly should be a strike against him. 3 strikes or 2 is the question. He needs to get out on the park in a game to show his worth to the team. The club has backed him with all the support he needs and he shouldn't be using his off time to dent the trust of the club. It's the club befor the player. If something like this happens again I would show him the door but hopefully that doesn't happen. Let's hope he gets a few games before seasons end.

Because I don't like our players being pulled off flights for being intoxicated on a cocktail of alcohol and prescription medicine?

Yeh, I'm the issue here.
Bennell was on APPROVED leave from the club.
Bennell was asked to leave a flight because Virgin BELIEVED he was affected by alcohol. He cooperated and left the flight.
He may have taken a "sleeping pill", which can have the affect of (especially when combined with alcohol even in small amounts) APPEARING drunk. Nothing issued has said he WAS affected by alcohol (pesky lawyers).

So another version of events, is that he was on approved leave had a couple of drinks on a flight to Melbourne, dropped a "Sleeping pill" in the airport at Melbourne and was woozy and sleepy/appeared affected by alcohol. Left the flight without issue and obviously made it to Gold Coast on a later flight, to have a coffee with Lynch.

I'm 100% that he is not the first AFL footballer to take a sleeping pill and I reckon a few would have them with alcohol.

Fremantle can confirm that Harley Bennell was asked to leave a Virgin flight from Melbourne to the Gold Coast on Saturday.

Bennell, who has suffered a series of calf injuries that have prevented him from playing for more than a year, has been on club approved leave since Friday.

The 24-year-old, who flew from Perth to Melbourne on Saturday, has told club officials that he had consumed alcohol the previous day and on the flight to Melbourne.

After arriving in Melbourne to await his flight to the Gold Coast, Bennell went to a cafe at the airport.

Shortly after boarding the Gold Coast flight he was asked to disembark by Virgin staff who believed he was affected by alcohol. Bennell cooperated with airline staff and returned to the Virgin Lounge.

Fremantle general manager of football operations Chris Bond said while the club was disappointed with the situation Bennell had placed himself in it would support the player.

"We are disappointed that Harley consumed alcohol to the extent that airline staff felt he was unfit to take the flight.

DeanS

Club Legend
May 16, 2007
Tuart Hill
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Perth

Yeh, I'm the issue here.
No, Bennell is the issue. It's just that you seem intent on making the issue bigger than it is. That, to me and others I think = troll.

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think it defenetly should be a strike against him. 3 strikes or 2 is the question. He needs to get out on the park in a game to show his worth to the team. The club has backed him with all the support he needs and he shouldn't be using his off time to dent the trust of the club. It's the club befor the player. If something like this happens again I would show him the door but hopefully that doesn't happen. Let's hope he gets a few games before seasons end.

A strike? Are you serious? You realise that it's common practice for AFL players to take sleeping pills especially after night games. It's such a non-issue it's never discussed but some of best current/former players in the game do/did it regularly. And to take one before a flight - well if you want to sleep on a flight it makes sense I would've thought.

Getting a strike for a sleeping pill (and/or alcohol) is truly the dumbest thing I'll read today and I'm saying that before 8am.

DudleyDocker

Cancelled
Oct 3, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
NE Patriots

Yeh, I'm the issue here.
Mate, I just had a quick look at your posting history and without too much analysis you have written off (in less than 100 posts I might add):
  • Harley Bennell
  • Brady Grey (he won't last, he's not good enough)
  • Michael Johnson (he's had his day, get him out and get Collins in)
  • Joel Hamling (I'm still not sure how they managed to sell us Hamling. He's not a bookend by any stretch and struggles to put on weight, offers little offensively.)
  • The club's recruiters (We let the highest rated key position forward in the draft go because we wanted Hamling and Kersten to come across, the methodology at our club is out of whack.)
Maybe you should wait until you earn your stripes before you start telling us how s**t everyone and everything is. Otherwise the logical conclusion people make is that you are on here to troll.

Wally Walpamur

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'm pretty sure AFL players have come out and said that it's not uncommon for them to take sleeping pills after night games because there's still adrenaline pumping from the game and it's also not uncommon for players to load up on caffeine before a game to get a buzz. I would think it's pretty common for these players to also have an adult beverage or two with said sleeping pills after these games to try and unwind and get a decent night's sleep. The only difference being Harley was at an airport about to board a plane.

heavho

Club Legend
Dec 22, 2005
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
fremantle
A strike? Are you serious? You realise that it's common practice for AFL players to take sleeping pills especially after night games. It's such a non-issue it's never discussed but some of best current/former players in the game do/did it regularly. And to take one before a flight - well if you want to sleep on a flight it makes sense I would've thought.

Getting a strike for a sleeping pill (and/or alcohol) is truly the dumbest thing I'll read today and I'm saying that before 8am.
So drinking alcohol while on a rehab program is acceptable? That's just fantastic. Being a professional athlete and getting paid big $$$ you should know better. Yes by all means after the season but while in rehab,having to not yet play a game due to injury isn't the right way to go about it. Especially with the media spot light is on you it's just silly to do those types of things. Even if it isn't that big.that's why everyone is talking about it. It's a headline for a reason and doesn't make it look a good thing for the club.

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
Bennell was on APPROVED leave from the club.
Bennell was asked to leave a flight because Virgin BELIEVED he was affected by alcohol. He cooperated and left the flight.
He may have taken a "sleeping pill", which can have the affect of (especially when combined with alcohol even in small amounts) APPEARING drunk. Nothing issued has said he WAS affected by alcohol (pesky lawyers).

So another version of events, is that he was on approved leave had a couple of drinks on a flight to Melbourne, dropped a "Sleeping pill" in the airport at Melbourne and was woozy and sleepy/appeared affected by alcohol. Left the flight without issue and obviously made it to Gold Coast on a later flight, to have a coffee with Lynch.

I'm 100% that he is not the first AFL footballer to take a sleeping pill and I reckon a few would have them with alcohol.

I think best case senario is he had 3-4 beers and maybe a pill or 2 too many and looked a bit dopey. Those sort of drugs have never really affected me that much but can really knock some people over.

I also wonder if it was a middle aged white guy wearing a suit whether he would have been just let on.

Apr 26, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Wimbledon AFC
Give the man some credit. It would be difficult enough for this guy. He has come over here and been unable to play footy. He would be struggling.to an extent. Angel? Maybe not. I don't think he has done too much wrong. So come out.of your glass houses guys. Most of us were young and dumb and he has come from a troubled past and seems to have come a long way. He is no shane yarren or b. Cousins

UFO Tatsu

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 11, 2012
Perth, WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'm pretty sure AFL players have come out and said that it's not uncommon for them to take sleeping pills after night games because there's still adrenaline pumping from the game and it's also not uncommon for players to load up on caffeine before a game to get a buzz. I would think it's pretty common for these players to also have an adult beverage or two with said sleeping pills after these games to try and unwind and get a decent night's sleep. The only difference being Harley was at an airport about to board a plane.

Maybe he is a nervous flyer?

Maybe you should wait until you earn your stripes before you start telling us how s**t everyone and everything is. Otherwise the logical conclusion people make is that you are on here to troll.

Pav for AA has been a troll since forever and has had more usernames than cousins has breached AVOs

Back