Certified Legendary Thread China History in the Making

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The game has now officially sold out. Huge

That's the first win, now to win the game :thumbsu:!
How many tickets do you think will be going to non supporters ie; those from China out of interest.
I heard we have 5k or so and GC would have maybe slightly less. Have they been available for purchase inside China for a while?

Tee Lee Travel won the tender to put the packages together. Cathay Pacific wasn't on board in late october when the game was officially announce but had pretty much been guaranteed 2 or 3 weeks earlier. No dramas they are using lots of airlines.

Rodger that...

Just shits me that a NTTAWWTteenth of my dosh goes into the pockets of the clowns....campaigners!

That's the first win, now to win the game :thumbsu:!
How many tickets do you think will be going to non supporters ie; those from China out of interest.
I heard we have 5k or so and GC would have maybe slightly less. Have they been available for purchase inside China for a while?

I'd be surprised if GC had more than a 1000 supporters fly over to be honest.

5k represents approx 8% of our total membership, whereas 8% of GCs membership only amounts to about 900 people.

Also I'd imagine quite a few spots have been reserved for dignitaries, sponsors and potential sponsors.

If you know "all about" the market potential, how do you not understand what we expect to get out of playing in China?

I am not opposed to trying China but I would like more detail in the deal's potential. Will the AFL give us a China Academy and allow us to list Chinese players above our list allocation ? It is one thing to have potentially 10,000,000 players at our disposal but the AFL needs to give us a mechanism to develop and blood these players in the AFL and more to the point the SANFL needs to allow us to play Chinese players in the SANFL. If we still had under age teams at the Port Magpies it would be a lot simpler, but alas but we don't. As we know we have one League and one Academy team outside the AFL. Under the present set up if we identify 20 potential players in China we will probably have to allow them to train and play at other SANFL Clubs as part of a SANFL Chinese Academy.

I keep hearing about our indigenous Academy but the fruits of it can well end up playing at other AFL clubs I hope the same thing does not happen in China as i would not want us the put in all the effort only to benefit other clubs. Clearly there is a difference between knowing the market potential and understanding how we will benefit.

How confident are you that the AFL and the SANFL will give us the necessary assistance in developing players from China? Thus far I have heard nothing from the AFL as regards to how we will jointly develop the Chinese market. If clubs like GWS and Sydney can get draft concessions based on non traditional markets then surely we can expect a similar deal from the AFL re China? Looming in the background to all this are the Victorian based AFL clubs lead by McGuire. Given his opposition to the Sydney concessions I can see Eddie going ballistic if we are able to list Chinese players in addition to our normal list.

Maybe the advantage is mainly financial? Perhaps there is the potential for a huge upsurge in membership and more sponsorship? We know we have attracted at least one Chinese sponsor but are there more sponsors in the pipeline? If so we need some idea of this potential. I realise that the exact detail will not be made public until it happens but some indication as to the worth of potential sponsors and an indication on any negotiations would be nice. Potentially sponsorship is probably the big plus for us as I do not see Chinese players being exclusively ours. Sponsorship is one thing the AFL or SANFL cannot control completely.

Past experience has probably made me paranoid about the AFL and SANFL but I will not be holding my breath waiting for an announcement of support for a PAFC Chinese Academy from either party.

China isn't really about the on-field stuff, though it could be later on down the track. As KT said, even the game itself isn't the main focus of what we are doing.

What you'll find is that we are trying to set up an annual event where a football match is the marquee "place to be seen" for Australian and Chinese businesses who want to expand and establish relationships and attract investment. PAFC is just the conduit by which this can happen - we bring people together.

The first level of entry is being a China Power Club member. This gets your "foot in the door" and enables a business to attend functions in both China and Australia which are directly run by Port Adelaide and where you can meet like minded individuals to build relationships - sort of an introduction phase.

From there, certain businesses are vetted by the club and if they believe they have a good business plan and would attract interest (minimum of $1m investment), at the game held during multicultural round, these businesses will pitch to Chinese backers who are being invited for that specific purpose. If successful, Port Adelaide will receive 4% of the investment. So $1m = $40,000 etc.

Once those businesses have been established, it's not too far of a stretch to suggest that they will at the very least continue to be CPC members. But they also could easily become larger sponsors of the club in recognition for the work we have done to help them succeed...or if they see value in a greater association with us. This is how Cathay Pacific came on board.

This is about becoming a facilitator and ensuring that if you want to export/import to and from China/Australia - Port Adelaide is the organisation to talk to, because we have established relationships and contacts in key areas up and down the Chinese government and with businesses.

It's why we won't have to pay for another side to play us next year - if they want their own coterie groups to get some advantage through the networks we've established, they can find their own way there.

That's why the media in this state is out to get us. It's because we've effectively bypassed the established order of things. We're not supposed to be proactive - that's not "South Australian".

It's also why the AFL continues to push the Suns angle every chance they get - they want to get some run off flowing to a club that is in dire need of help in this regard.

This is about ensuring that we never have to "settle" for anything again.

China isn't really about the on-field stuff, though it could be later on down the track. As KT said, even the game itself isn't the main focus of what we are doing.

What you'll find is that we are trying to set up an annual event where a football match is the marquee "place to be seen" for Australian and Chinese businesses who want to expand and establish relationships and attract investment. PAFC is just the conduit by which this can happen - we bring people together.

The first level of entry is being a China Power Club member. This gets your "foot in the door" and enables a business to attend functions in both China and Australia which are directly run by Port Adelaide and where you can meet like minded individuals to build relationships - sort of an introduction phase.

From there, certain businesses are vetted by the club and if they believe they have a good business plan and would attract interest (minimum of $1m investment), at the game held during multicultural round, these businesses will pitch to Chinese backers who are being invited for that specific purpose. If successful, Port Adelaide will receive 4% of the investment. So $1m = $40,000 etc.

Once those businesses have been established, it's not too far of a stretch to suggest that they will at the very least continue to be CPC members. But they also could easily become larger sponsors of the club in recognition for the work we have done to help them succeed...or if they see value in a greater association with us. This is how Cathay Pacific came on board.

This is about becoming a facilitator and ensuring that if you want to export/import to and from China/Australia - Port Adelaide is the organisation to talk to, because we have established relationships and contacts in key areas up and down the Chinese government and with businesses.

It's why we won't have to pay for another side to play us next year - if they want their own coterie groups to get some advantage through the networks we've established, they can find their own way there.

That's why the media in this state is out to get us. It's because we've effectively bypassed the established order of things. We're not supposed to be proactive - that's not "South Australian".

It's also why the AFL continues to push the Suns angle every chance they get - they want to get some run off flowing to a club that is in dire need of help in this regard.

A response full of the same rhetoric that we have been getting for twelve months. It is easy to talk in cliches such as 'foot in the door' and mention potential but i feel I need a bit more than that. If someone asks me what Port Adelaide expects to get from it's venture into China I want to be able to point to something we will get from the deal. So far we appear to be the risk takers with no formal indication of the exact benefits.

Where are you getting,

.... certain businesses are vetted by the club and if they believe they have a good business plan and would attract interest (minimum of $1m investment), at the game held during multicultural round, these businesses will pitch to Chinese backers who are being invited for that specific purpose. If successful, Port Adelaide will receive 4% of the investment. So $1m = $40,000 etc.

Is this something I should know but have missed? If it is, I thank you for letting me know.

We were not beset by clubs lining up to play us in China this year and in the end Gold Coast appeared the only option and I hope you are right and that success in China changes that. Atm we are playing as the away team which does not put us in full control of the deal. If we continue to play as the away team we will have to buy the game just as we have done in the past, unless the AFL changes tack I cannot see that changing as Port buying the game is the main incentive for clubs to cede a home game. If the deal continues next year somehow we really need to be the home side.

You appear to be putting a lot of faith in the belief that Chinese business will feel obligated to Port and not bugger off to clubs located in the bigger markets such as Melbourne and Sydney. You may well be right but it appears to be a faith thing rather than an agreement set in concrete. I don't dispute any thing you post but I hope you are right.

I am not knocking the move into China I just need more information and some indication that the AFL is prepared to cut us some slack if things work for us. I would hate to be sitting on a gold mine from which we get the scraps the AFL decide to throw us.

Have you bothered to call the club mate or just thought that all the answers would be on a fan forum full of trolls?

certain businesses are vetted by the club and if they believe they have a good business plan and would attract interest (minimum of $1m investment), at the game held during multicultural round, these businesses will pitch to Chinese backers who are being invited for that specific purpose. If successful, Port Adelaide will receive 4% of the investment. So $1m = $40,000 etc.

This is a hypothetical example right?

This is a hypothetical example right?

Oh no, it's very real. There are five businesses looking for investment from China that the club has vetted. I'm looking forward to seeing them pitch more than the game against Brisbane (I believe that's who we are playing). Hopefully they all attract investment because it's good for the club as well as for the economy.

No one has reported this because no one has bothered to ask the right questions of the club. They concentrate on the football side of things all the time when its more of a root and branch sponsorship model that we are pursuing.

I know my startup business wouldn't have gotten involved with the club as early as I have if it wasn't for our work in China. But it's all small steps.

Have you bothered to call the club mate or just thought that all the answers would be on a fan forum full of trolls?

This is how I got my information. Granted, I actually had a purpose for asking, but it's not some big secret. In fact, they've said they are having a bit of trouble explaining why we are doing what we are doing because people can't see the bigger picture.

This is how I got my information. Granted, I actually had a purpose for asking, but it's not some big secret. In fact, they've said they are having a bit of trouble explaining why we are doing what we are doing because people can't see the bigger picture.

It just amazes me that people rely on BF, 5aa and the Advertiser for answers.

Call the club - as you have done - and they will be only too happy to run through the strategy.

Oh no, it's very real. There are five businesses looking for investment from China that the club has vetted. I'm looking forward to seeing them pitch more than the game against Brisbane (I believe that's who we are playing). Hopefully they all attract investment because it's good for the club as well as for the economy.

No one has reported this because no one has bothered to ask the right questions of the club. They concentrate on the football side of things all the time when its more of a root and branch sponsorship model that we are pursuing.

I know my startup business wouldn't have gotten involved with the club as early as I have if it wasn't for our work in China. But it's all small steps.

Most people - both Port and footy people in general, see all tip and none of the iceberg re our China strategy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Superbly summed up :thumbsu:

"At first, they'll ask you why you're doing it. Later, they'll ask you how you did it."

Most people - both Port and footy people in general, see all tip and none of the iceberg re our China strategy.
I'd love you to spell it all out for us in one of your nice long posts REH.

I must admit I don't know much of the details beyond the odd tip bit on here.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I'd love you to spell it all out for us in one of your nice long posts REH.

I must admit I don't know much of the details beyond the odd tip bit on here.
I might draft something up on my flights over to and then from the game in Shanghai.

Whilst I don't have specifics on deals, like Janus posted, but I know that we are linking Oz businesses with Chinese investors. I knew of one example that happened before Christmas, but had to keep that to my self because no deals had been concluded and they were still in a delicate negotiation phase.

I wasn't going to comment about this in BF as I wasn't sure how confidential it was. But clearly it is now in the open. This is a real opportunity for the club. In addition to the business visa candidates, Andrew took one Australian business seeking for investment to Shanghai last December. The investment amount is a lot more than $1M and, if successful, would net the club a very tidy amount. Probably comparable in $$$s to a second-tier sponsorship deal. If this model works and can be replicated sustainably, the club could be making millions a year just on the investment side of things.

I wasn't going to comment about this in BF as I wasn't sure how confidential it was. But clearly it is now in the open. This is a real opportunity for the club. In addition to the business visa candidates, Andrew took one Australian business seeking for investment to Shanghai last December. The investment amount is a lot more than $1M and, if successful, would net the club a very tidy amount. Probably comparable in $$$s to a second-tier sponsorship deal. If this model works and can be replicated sustainably, the club could be making millions a year just on the investment side of things.

As long as you talk in generalities and not specifics, I don't see how it matters. The way it has been relayed to me, the model isn't a secret, just the negotiations and the companies involved are. The club is having a hard time actually cutting through with how this model works, so the more people who know, the more opportunities there are in the future.

The club is having a hard time actually cutting through with how this model works, so the more people who know, the more opportunities there are in the future.

When you say cut thru problems, do you mean they have the investors but not not businesses looking for investment, or do you mean Oz businesses they talk to don't get it?

When you say cut thru problems, do you mean they have the investors but not not businesses looking for investment, or do you mean Oz businesses they talk to don't get it?

China gets it. Australian businesses don't really get it yet.

The main issue is how to incorporate an investment arm into the operations of a football club. What can be done beyond introductions? How do you make it sustainable? etc, etc. Club resources are quite stretched so you want to make sure that you have a lucrative and sustainable business model in place. The principle of making introductions and charging a commission is quite simple but the logistics and implementation could become quite complex.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back