Mega Thread 2017 Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did hear crumpet face mention that afte our first two games Rosich and the board summoned Ross and told him the results werent good enough, and considering he was given a contract extension for the rebuild why wasnt he playing the yoof, Crumpet Face must have friends in high places lol.

I heard this as well!

The AFL media disgust me sometimes with their bias & agendas. This week in sliding doors - "if this" "then that" they choose to focus on Bennell rather than any of the amazing good news stories from Freo's renaissance & in the Hawks section they glorify Hodge & vilified the guy who elbowed him rather than focusing on what a train wreck Hawthorn are currently . Of course when Hodge takes people's heads off it's all good tough football & Hodgey's still a great bloke.
It's sickening level of hypocrisy & double standards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The AFL media disgust me sometimes with their bias & agendas. This week in sliding doors - "if this" "then that" they choose to focus on Bennell rather than any of the amazing good news stories from Freo's renaissance & in the Hawks section they glorify Hodge & vilified the guy who elbowed him rather than focusing on what a train wreck Hawthorn are currently . Of course when Hodge takes people's heads off it's all good tough football & Hodgey's still a great bloke.

Compare the media buzz about Bob Murphy's 300th game to Pav retiring.

It's infuriating.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tbf, pretty standard for the bin chicken of journalists, Barrett.

He'd clap 'Hodgey' if he ran over a toddler.

Unfortunately they're just pandering to their audience, it seems most (casual) fans prefer to talk controversy and scandal.

And I will quietly mention that when we're doing poorly this board is far more active than when we're winning. People are inherently attracted to misfortune.

Lyon came back from his Harvard course with a 'pithy little aphorism' which I can't remember but it was about just that.

He would certainly be in a better position than most to understand that. Lose and he's a veritable pariah, win and it's simply meeting due requirement

But yeah, the footy media are definitely a bunch of campaigners.

Not many good ones that's for sure.I imagine Belly is OK but I've never listened to him.I like the calm and under sensationalised,naturally honest way Pav plys his new trade.
The industry pays them to jump at shadows and to manufacture the shadow before jumping all over it to breath life into it.
RTB said after returning from Harvard to the Kebab kerfuffle and something else which had the media declaring the club's culture was in the ruined and in the gutter:

"You can do 98 good things, and if you do two things that don't look great, human nature is to focus on the bad."

Unfortunately they're just pandering to their audience, it seems most (casual) fans prefer to talk controversy and scandal.
its the hypocrisy though, Hodge loses a major sponsor for his club drink driving, has regularly ironed out other players with elbows yet is still deified. Harley was on leave and drunk on a plane doing nothing wrong. Imagine if Harley had been caught drink driving? They'd string him up.

And I will quietly mention that when we're doing poorly this board is far more active than when we're winning. People are inherently attracted to misfortune.

In fairness this board was a bloody miserable place for most of 2015 when we were winning due to the pessimism and general previously scarred, fractured personalities of a number of posters on this board with the expectation (rightly or wrongly) of failure. In this instance I feel the 2013 GF probably broke a few people.

By contrast this board almost seems cheery these days, even when people start sinking the boots into Lyon, Suban et. al.

its the hypocrisy though, Hodge loses a major sponsor for his club drink driving, has regularly ironed out other players with elbows yet is still deified. Harley was on leave and drunk on a plane doing nothing wrong. Imagine if Harley had been caught drink driving? They'd string him up.
Hodge didn't cause the Hawks to lose a sponsor. That was Selwood a couple of months ago. :rolleyes:

And Hodge has ironed out one player with an elbow in his 16 year AFL career: Andrew Swallow in Round 5, 2015

It's nothing to do with hypocrisy in the case of Harley Bennell. He has talent to burn and has been given every opportunity, but for one reason or another, he has failed to deliver on his potential. Do you realise that Hodge at the same age had played a pivotal role in a premiership, won a Norm Smith, a Best and Fairest and was twice All Australian? And that was after his first few years were ruined by Osteitis Pubis. He was also a wayward party boy like Bennell, but the penny dropped.

What has Harley Bennell achieved exactly? Isn't it time he delivered?

LOL

Hodge probably received 10 times more media scrutiny & vilification for Swallow and Wingard incidents in 2015 than anyone else would've received. The media went after him, demanding 4/5/6 weeks because it was a 'big story' - he was the Hawk captain. Damian Barrett was particularly scathing. The MRP duly delivered and gave him weeks off.

Last edited:
Hodge didn't cause the Hawks to lose a sponsor. That was Selwood a couple of months ago. :rolleyes:

And Hodge has ironed out one player with an elbow in his 16 year AFL career: Andrew Swallow in Round 5, 2015
164675_5e2d5d7d40ea33d104e710f87a34ae9f.png

It's nothing to do with hypocrisy in the case of Harley Bennell. He has talent to burn and has been given every opportunity, but for one reason or another, he has failed to deliver on his potential. Do you realise that Hodge at the same age had played a pivotal role in a premiership, won a Norm Smith, a Best and Fairest and was twice All Australian? And that was after his first few years were ruined by Osteitis Pubis. He was also a wayward party boy like Bennell, but the penny dropped.

What has Harley Bennell achieved exactly? Isn't it time he delivered?

This season Hodge got pissed, slept in missed training then a game and is the cause of the Hawks dropping into the abyss. When did this penny drop?:rolleyes:

It wasn't an elbow. Wingard was trying to scunge a goal and Hodge nudged him into the post. The photo makes it look worse than it was, IMO

This is an elbow:
1492507343436.jpg

How about this incident:

R1 2016, 4th quarter, 5 mins remaining
Hodge eyes on the ball - wide open - Mitch Duncan lines him up and breaks his arm. Completely unnecessary. The game was over.
Did Hodge whinge about it? Nope. I saw him having a laugh & shaking hands hands 5 minutes later with the guy who just broke his arm.

It wasn't an elbow. Wingard was trying to scunge a goal and Hodge nudged him into the post. The photo makes it look worse than it was, IMO

This is an elbow:
1492507343436.jpg

How about this incident:

R1 2016, 4th quarter, 5 mins remaining
Hodge eyes on the ball - wide open - Mitch Duncan lines him up and breaks his arm. Completely unnecessary. The game was over.
Did Hodge whinge about it? Nope. I saw him having a laugh & shaking hands hands 5 minutes later with the guy who just broke his arm.

How about go back to the Hawthorn board? I really cbf'd discussing the qualities of Luke Hodge in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back