Travel USA travel tips and tricks

Remove this Banner Ad

Are the hostels and people generally a different feel than to Europe or even places in Asia ala Vietnam (or how I imagine Australia would be for Scandos?) Ie you get way more people in Europe as it is a rite of passage for antipodeans, but it's cheap for Europeans... is there less 'cameraderie' and less big nights out? Less flogs? Less egos? Less sort of communal spaces where everyone brags about their trip? I don't imagine America to have groups of eight British lads all in it for a root or gaggles of Australian chicks all doing it for Instagram and 'da vibe.' More solo travellers or groups of two or three, and a little older in America?

In some ways I think it'll be lonelier. But backpackers make me cringe and the whole atmosphere of it is not really me at all, as much as I did enjoy it at times.

The only places I stayed at a hostel were in New York and San Fran, the rest I stayed in hotels. New York was great, the one I stayed at is called Hostelling International and it's near 103rd street. It's a huge hostel and really clean, has a diverse range of people there including school groups not that I saw or heard them much. They have pub crawls and club crawls for people that are interested in that stuff but heaps of other good tours of the city including taking you to any sporting events that are on. I went on a 13 hour walking tour with them which cost $10 and saw so much stuff.

I think whatever you're into you'll find someone there into the same thing that you'll end up hanging out with. There's a big communal lounge area and a theatre where they have comedy nights and movie nights and stuff. They also have drinks nights so you can meet other people staying there. Everyone I met there was travelling solo, most of the people I met were in their late 20's and some as old as 70. There was a really good vibe at the place, no one really bragged about their trip more just shared opinions on the cities they had been too or stuff they had seen that day. Unless they had met on a tour run by the hostel or were travelling together most people kept to themselves without being rude. A lot from Australia and heaps from different parts of Europe. None of the people I met were as you described but the last time I was there was 2014 so it may have changed a bit.

I had the same opinions of hostels before I stayed at that one but now whenever I go back to NYC I'll stay there.

San Fran was a bit different coz the hostel were pretty s**t so I only stayed there 1 night and went to a hotel instead.

I've stayed at hostels in Amsterdam and London too and New York was far and away the best run and friendliest one that I've been to.

NFL fixture come out today, worked out we can get to 2 games.

LA Rams v Texans in LA

Jets v Panthers in NJ

pretty pumped to be honest. have already seen NBA and NHL but missed the NFL Season both times i went previously

NFL fixture come out today, worked out we can get to 2 games.

LA Rams v Texans in LA

Jets v Panthers in NJ

pretty pumped to be honest. have already seen NBA and NHL but missed the NFL Season both times i went previously

Nice!

I have been doing the same thing this morning.

Jets @ Miami
Bears @ New Orleans
Bills @ Jets (Maybe)
Packers @ Bears

Also going to go to Syracuse @ Miami (Day before Dolphins Game)
Aztecs @ UNLV Rebels
Oregon @ Stanford

Pumped. Can't wait for NBA schedule to drop as well

Nice!

I have been doing the same thing this morning.

Jets @ Miami
Bears @ New Orleans
Bills @ Jets (Maybe)
Packers @ Bears

Also going to go to Syracuse @ Miami (Day before Dolphins Game)
Aztecs @ UNLV Rebels
Oregon @ Stanford

Pumped. Can't wait for NBA schedule to drop as well

I'm jealous you got college games as well!

I checked those and every place we go the team is on an away game. Couldn't believe it.

NBA fixture is sometime in August isnt it?

I'm jealous you got college games as well!

I checked those and every place we go the team is on an away game. Couldn't believe it.

NBA fixture is sometime in August isnt it?

Yeah i think that and the NHL come out about the same time. Yeah i was pretty lucky with the College games! Really looking forward to Oregon game

At this point it looks like I might get to New England, Green Bay and Minnesota in the first week and then maybe the Raiders in the second week.

Will have a look at college schedules when I get home

edit - quick look at college football and I could do Stanford at San Diego on the 17th of September . A shame San Francisco are playing their Thursday night game in week 3 instead of week 2 as i couldve done San Fran-SD college-Raiders over that weekend.

Last edited:
exciting time when the NFL schedule gets released.

I'm possibly looking at Colts vs Steelers and Titans and plenty of options to consider in the the other week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Enjoyed it?? Any trouble settling in?

yeah I've been 3 times and it was my best trip but thats nothing to do with me travelling on my own.

I hit a wall after 4 weeks and caught up with someone i knew which helped lifted my spirits and energy for the last 2 weeks but if you are only solo for a few weeks then you shouldn't have any concerns, Americans are friendly and very approachable so if you go out or go on tours someone will mostly likely start talking to you!

Just came back from a solo trip, only doing Los Angeles & Chicago.

Los Angeles in particular can be a very lonely city if you're alone, thankfully I was not. Made a lot of new friends as well. Americans are by far some of the nicest and welcoming people I've encountered while travelling.

Some thoughts/suggestions/recap on my trip -

Los Angeles ~

- Visit the Getty Center. While the museum itself is quite basic and probably worthy of a very quick rushed look at look, the architecturee is incredibly pleasing. You also get some great views of greater Los Angeles.

- Spend a day in Downtown Los Angeles. I feel like there is a lot more going on downtown then is usually mentioned. Check out the Broad (book free tickets in advance on their website), and check out the MOCA right across the street. Take a walk down S Broadway, and check out the Bradbury Building (where Blade Runner was filmed) & take a walk through Grand Central Market.

- N Fairfax is good for shopping/browsing as well. Kind of like Fitzroy/Brunswick. Amazing you'll see here as well. Saw a very slim Jonah Hill in the Supreme Store. Family Books is a great bookstore worth checking out.

- Eat at Erewhon (thank me later)

- The famous Pink's Hotdog spot is def worth checking out late at night.

- There is literally something on in Los Angeles every night, and it's very easy to not know about these things, below are some links to ensure you don't miss out - Came across a Westworld Q&A at the Dolby Theatre and now I'm convinced I need to marry Evan Rachel Wood.

http://www.laweekly.com/calendar
http://www.songkick.com/metro_areas/17835-us-los-angeles
http://www.ticketfly.com/
http://1iota.com/

- Take a hike up Runyon Canyon (Mulholland Drive entry) Great view of Los Angeles. Griffith Park Observatory never gets old for me.

- Laguna & Manhattan Beach worth visiting for a day trip.

- Saw Edward Norton at a grocery store in Silverlake.

+ A bunch of other stuff I can't really mention on here :D, would love to spend like a month in Los Angeles, but I feel like I'd lose my mind :D

Chicago ~

Chicago part of the trip was mainly to watch Blackhawks/Bulls games, so I didn't do a lot of exploring as it was just way to cold (was on average minus 6, yet the last day it was 26 degrees, global warming, eh?)

- Eat at Jim's Original. Those Polish Sausages. Dear god. Although it's a in sketchy area, so don't go down any further south.

- Art Institute of Chicago. I think this is rated best museum in the country? I can see why. Be prepared to spend a couple of hours here.

- Garfield Park Conservatory is really beautiful. I wish we had something like in Melbourne. (Maybe we do?)

- 360 Chicago. Amazing 360 degree view of Chicago.

- You could spend a day walking up and down The Magnificent Mile.

- Check out Wicker Park

TL;DR - Trip was amazing and I can't wait to get back.

what is everyones thoughts on AirBnB opposed to hotels in certain areas?

There looks like a few good ones in LA and we though we may as well just hire a car to get to themeparks etc.

think the wife will need some convincing though!
Just came back from a solo trip, only doing Los Angeles & Chicago.

Los Angeles in particular can be a very lonely city if you're alone, thankfully I was not. Made a lot of new friends as well. Americans are by far some of the nicest and welcoming people I've encountered while travelling.

Some thoughts/suggestions/recap on my trip -

Los Angeles ~

- Visit the Getty Center. While the museum itself is quite basic and probably worthy of a very quick rushed look at look, the architecturee is incredibly pleasing. You also get some great views of greater Los Angeles.

- Spend a day in Downtown Los Angeles. I feel like there is a lot more going on downtown then is usually mentioned. Check out the Broad (book free tickets in advance on their website), and check out the MOCA right across the street. Take a walk down S Broadway, and check out the Bradbury Building (where Blade Runner was filmed) & take a walk through Grand Central Market.

- N Fairfax is good for shopping/browsing as well. Kind of like Fitzroy/Brunswick. Amazing you'll see here as well. Saw a very slim Jonah Hill in the Supreme Store. Family Books is a great bookstore worth checking out.

- Eat at Erewhon (thank me later)

- The famous Pink's Hotdog spot is def worth checking out late at night.

- There is literally something on in Los Angeles every night, and it's very easy to not know about these things, below are some links to ensure you don't miss out - Came across a Westworld Q&A at the Dolby Theatre and now I'm convinced I need to marry Evan Rachel Wood.

http://www.laweekly.com/calendar
http://www.songkick.com/metro_areas/17835-us-los-angeles
http://www.ticketfly.com/
http://1iota.com/

- Take a hike up Runyon Canyon (Mulholland Drive entry) Great view of Los Angeles. Griffith Park Observatory never gets old for me.

- Laguna & Manhattan Beach worth visiting for a day trip.

- Saw Edward Norton at a grocery store in Silverlake.

+ A bunch of other stuff I can't really mention on here :D, would love to spend like a month in Los Angeles, but I feel like I'd lose my mind :D

Chicago ~

Chicago part of the trip was mainly to watch Blackhawks/Bulls games, so I didn't do a lot of exploring as it was just way to cold (was on average minus 6, yet the last day it was 26 degrees, global warming, eh?)

- Eat at Jim's Original. Those Polish Sausages. Dear god. Although it's a in sketchy area, so don't go down any further south.

- Art Institute of Chicago. I think this is rated best museum in the country? I can see why. Be prepared to spend a couple of hours here.

- Garfield Park Conservatory is really beautiful. I wish we had something like in Melbourne. (Maybe we do?)

- 360 Chicago. Amazing 360 degree view of Chicago.

- You could spend a day walking up and down The Magnificent Mile.

- Check out Wicker Park

TL;DR - Trip was amazing and I can't wait to get back.

Hi everyone of to the states next tuesday,of to chicago for 5 days,then minneapolis for 2 days,then fort worth for 4days,then austin for 2 days followed by 3 days in LA, can't wait :)

Enjoy your trip! Let me know what Minneapolis is like, I've heard great things, and definitely want to visit it on my next trip.

There looks like a few good ones in LA and we though we may as well just hire a car to get to themeparks etc.

I recommend Airbnb for sure. You can get some real,y good deals

Used it twice last year and had no issues, made sure the people i booked with had positive reviews and replied to my messages before i left.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back