Welcome to Hawthorn Pick 44: Blake Hardwick

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems he's auditioning for the vacant duryea role.

Not a bad start, at least he can hit a target under no pressure and seems like he can tackle. That's all it takes to be the club house leader at this stage.

The umpires had well and truly joined the Cats momentum by that stage.

Hardwick passed his test this week. I hope we continue to give games to our kids.

Ash Browne said today our plan is to give all the youngsters a run of games over next few months so I'm confident if thats true he will stay in for a little while yet - if he goes out then that would be his papers stamped (or equally they're convinced he will be a player after more BH development so dont need to see anymore)

Ash Browne said today our plan is to give all the youngsters a run of games over next few months so I'm confident if thats true he will stay in for a little while yet - if he goes out then that would be his papers stamped (or equally they're convinced he will be a player after more BH development so dont need to see anymore)
im fairly confident we have a player in dimma
he's a good build, has some skills
that pass inside 50 against Geelong was what we need in the team, add to that he has a little mongrel about him

Some of his inside 50 kicks were fantastic. I wonder if there is a Hill role in the team for him. Hartung has the run but his delivery is just awful at times. Couldnt execute a 15 metre kick which instead of being a shot for goal led to a Geelong goal.

I agree with you Hardwicks' line breaking and kicking showed great promise and he was taking opportunities and responsibility when others were to busy over finessing. I have no issue with him getting a game, and as frustrating as Billy can be I don't mind our fringe guys getting game now either. Playing in losing teams hopefully will build resilience so that once the wins start coming - even if only rarely - that will keep things rolling. I worry more that the senior guys may be disillusioned with Clarko for Mitchell and Lewis being pushed only for vickery and co to get more than them. I hope I'm very wrong but it seems to be a combination of age catching up - Gibbo Hodge and Shaun - and desire dropping off...

I doubt Mitchell and Lewis leaving has anything to do with it, beyond maybe a reminder about football longevity. Really it would be the incredible struggle striving week in and week out to better yourself - almost always in some sort of pain - having already achieved what is likely to be their pinnacle.

Other clubs have the drive to aim for such a thing.

That is a pretty serious burden to overcome. But the more kids who havent had such success we play, the better it is for the club .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hardwick>Doc every day of the week until Hardwick is proven a failure... I don't think that will happen

With similar u/18 goal kicking credentials to Steel Sidebottom hopefully he can develop in a similar style.
Has the skill set, fitness and footy nous will come.
Can he run like Sidebottom? I thought one of the factors likely to limit his development was that he had a pretty poor tank.

*Don't remember where I read this - maybe I'm mixed up with someone else.

Can he run like Sidebottom? I thought one of the factors likely to limit his development was that he had a pretty poor tank.

*Don't remember where I read this - maybe I'm mixed up with someone else.
My memory was that as a junior he hadn't displayed a big tank. A lot of players can develop the tank in the afl system. Doubt he will ever be elite but certainly serviceable.

I agree with you Hardwicks' line breaking and kicking showed great promise and he was taking opportunities and responsibility when others were to busy over finessing. I have no issue with him getting a game, and as frustrating as Billy can be I don't mind our fringe guys getting game now either. Playing in losing teams hopefully will build resilience so that once the wins start coming - even if only rarely - that will keep things rolling. I worry more that the senior guys may be disillusioned with Clarko for Mitchell and Lewis being pushed only for vickery and co to get more than them. I hope I'm very wrong but it seems to be a combination of age catching up - Gibbo Hodge and Shaun - and desire dropping off...

This is the reason why, despite all the talk of warchests, I don't believe you can build a premiership side around FA.

The odd one, especially if a deadset champ but when you pay someone more than a long-standing team member of greater ability then some of them will inevitably explore FA themselves and all you've done is inflate what you're paying certain players for no net gain and possibly create discord.

It's a tightrope walk.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

This is the reason why, despite all the talk of warchests, I don't believe you can build a premiership side around FA.

The odd one, especially if a deadset champ but when you pay someone more than a long-standing team member of greater ability then some of them will inevitably explore FA themselves and all you've done is inflate what you're paying certain players for no net gain and possibly create discord.

It's a tightrope walk.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
my feeling on free agency is that if you have very specific holes in your list and you can find players in the age profile out there it helps. It helps because maybe you can pick them up as a FA but also because clubs are now more willing to trade players they know won't sign for a reasonable price based on the fact that they could get less a year later in FA

you can't build a list just from FA and RFA because you need a core of player that have played together long enough and are good enough but you can certainly use FA to keep yourself up there or get back there quicker if you use it smartly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back