Autopsy Rd 5 Blues go down by 90 points

Remove this Banner Ad

incaciawin

Blues4ever
Aug 7, 2009
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
RB I reckon we all are on the rebuild bandwagon, you'd have to be freaking nuts not to understand the dire need and the illusion that the club had previously been under. We have had nearly 20 years of snakes with very few ladders. Everyone is frustrated on a number of fronts, say from, salary cap gate, Dennis Pagan, horribly wasted valuable draft picks, Warnock/Jacobs, piss poor administrative appointments, ditto coaching staff, ditto recruiting staff, the AFL dotingly handing out a mind-blowing number of the highest draft picks over multiple years to their pet GWS and Goldcoast clubs, the AFL not balancing out their generosity to the bottom 8 clubs just a tad after the same period, the Mick Malthouse fiasco which included the loss of highly gifted players for little or no return, and the signing of Daisy (nothing against him personally....just looking after his family) on $750,000 a season.

I'm ecstatic that we have SOS and BB on board to sort this shite out. It doesn't mean that I can't be disappointed with various aspects watching a game like that tonight. Then I look at the fixture and cringe. We are going to get whacked and then whacked some more. We haven't played a good team yet let alone a contender. We all understand that it has to happen and that there will be less snakes and more ladders in the future. Nobody thinks this will happen over night either. You also have to understand that it's not just going to be a matter of games and time either. We still have to turnover a large number of players that frankly are not AFL quality and replace them somehow, whether it be by drafting or through free agency.....All still unknowns. We also have some players that are getting longer in the tooth. They will need to be replaced....more kids. Bryce Gibbs will more than likely leave next year....another most likely to be replaced by a kid. Right! Here's another hard bit to swallow. Many of our kids won't make it! Fact! We will have injuries. Fact! Now! unless I'm mistaken during the next few off seasons we will end up with ONE high draft pick, then ANOTHER in the late teens or early twenties, then ANOTHER in the mid to late thirties and so on. Highly speculative, though I have much more confidence in our current recruiting staff. Also, yes also, the AFL will more than likely NOT hand us a priority pick, not this year anyway. Then what would it be...only a pick in the late teens or something even if they do. This is going to be no given people! The club has to get an awful lot right and yes the long road has begun and I'm thankful for it, but, I am a realist and the competition is strong and the road still has many pot holes and detours.

I'm 56 years old and have bled blue my entire life. It is MY RIGHT to be disappointed at times and even angry. I will whine at times, I will swear and throw objects whilst watching Carlton struggle on the TV (I hope it survives the rest of the season). I will also log onto this forum and seek to mix and converse with members of my own race. I WILL SHARE MY FEELINGS!!! Some people have to understand that sometimes these feelings are instant and short lived. We all need to vent and clear our heads. If I'm negative sometimes, I CAN"T HELP IT! See paragraph above of frustrating events and situations. The loss of Eddy Betts singularly on its own eats at my insides! I will get over it, and I will get over all the shite listed above. I crave the "green shoots" and like everyone I DO SEE THEM! I just think it may take a bit longer than many others do.

Just on a finishing note I'd like to ask people not to second guess my loyalty to CFC. I absolutely resent being told to "go support Richmond" and that "I won't be welcome back". All I've stated tonight straight after the game in a fleeting moment is that " I can't watch this anymore". I've read tens and tens of other posts displaying varying degrees of disappointment and yes, even some negativity....jeez would you believe that!

I think that an apology wouldn't go astray!!!!

Great post....I apologise on their behalf.

Jul 12, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
Carlton
we were rubbish but i'm not sure we'll lose by as much for the rest of the season.
we looked much better when trying to play on instead of kick mark. we get thrashed either way but at least playing on we created some pressure on their defence and could score.
our goal-kicking is a problem we've had for nigh on a decade, and you wonder whether anyone has bothered to do anything about it save for sav teaching levi. think he should spend some time teaching other players.
maybe he can teach them to execute 30 metre passes while he's at it.

pickett very flaky, is probably the time to work on his game in the vfl. great to see c curnow get amongst it.
phillips just not match fit. here's hoping kreuzer rested up for what might be a more winnable game against sydney, if the ladder is anything to go by.
weitering on a hiding to nothing last night. ball barely past the centre and when it did come in it came in terribly.

Jan 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Zero goals, zero behinds, zero assists?

He was our outside run in midfield. Both he and Pickett had one scoring involvement each. Not good enough.

He was terrific last year.

This year he has played like he has got ahead of himself and thinks something less than maximum effort will get him through.

It clearly won't. Hope he realises it quick.

8Special K

Senior List
Dec 22, 2007
Raheen
AFL Club
Carlton
This is pretty much the team we brought in for the JLT match against stkilda, remember that people. It's only a testament to the first and second year player's development.

RudyBlue

Premiership Player
Nov 11, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
I'm 56 years old and have bled blue my entire life. It is MY RIGHT to be disappointed at times and even angry. I will whine at times, I will swear and throw objects whilst watching Carlton struggle on the TV (I hope it survives the rest of the season). I will also log onto this forum and seek to mix and converse with members of my own race. I WILL SHARE MY FEELINGS!!! Some people have to understand that sometimes these feelings are instant and short lived. We all need to vent and clear our heads. If I'm negative sometimes, I CAN"T HELP IT! See paragraph above of frustrating events and situations. The loss of Eddy Betts singularly on its own eats at my insides! I will get over it, and I will get over all the shite listed above. I crave the "green shoots" and like everyone I DO SEE THEM! I just think it may take a bit longer than many others do.

Just on a finishing note I'd like to ask people not to second guess my loyalty to CFC. I absolutely resent being told to "go support Richmond" and that "I won't be welcome back". All I've stated tonight straight after the game in a fleeting moment is that " I can't watch this anymore". I've read tens and tens of other posts displaying varying degrees of disappointment and yes, even some negativity....jeez would you believe that!

I think that an apology wouldn't go astray!!!!
Preach it Stiffmeister (if you don't mind me calling you that), and sorry once more if my previous post was out of line. There were many I could've attacked but yours was unlucky enough to catch me at the peak of my anger.

As a 21 year old supporter, born just a few months before our last premiership my earliest memories of supporting Carlton begin with the stench of the Pagan era. Other than some brief finals cameos I've essentially supported a bottom four club for the majority of my life. That's why I'm keen to give this new generation as much support as they need, because I want to see the greatness of Carlton with my own eyes and not have stories recited to me from those of previous generations.

Stiffler's Dad

Premium Platinum
Oct 8, 2006
Bendigo
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Hungarian Women's Nude Road Bowls
I read the richmond crack as just that - bit of a clip but nothing mean-spirited

Na I read it differently.
I've had a similar experience in the past and I don't think it's necessary when you don't know someone.
To a mate watching the footy over a few beers....that's a clip.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My name geoff

Premiership Player
Jul 2, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
2 six day breaks in a row, 5 teenagers, 2 players rested for soreness as well as Cripps wearing a mattress around his ribs.. we were never going to run this one out for 4 quarters. It actually amazes me that so many people were writing us off as we had 2 six day breaks in a row, such is the obvious negative impact, yet the AFL in all their wisdom give us 2 six day weeks on the way to AO! Only side this year to have back to back 6 day rest as far as I know, and they give it to us on an away game.

Blue Warrior

Club Legend
Aug 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Youngsters simply can't give the effort of seasoned players for 4 quarters very often. They also lose confidence more quickly. Senior players have to take up the slack and thus tire more quickly than they ideally would.

We've looked like witches hats two third quarters in a row but it hasn't been like that for entire games.

Saw quite a few green shoots tonight, that's gotta be the continuing focus.

A few kids stood up tonight under trying conditions Charlie,SOS,Williamson,and Fisher all looked like they belong out there and SPS will be a very special player once fit. But this is where our match committee have a hard job to get the right mix of kids/senior players to maybe jag the odd win and also get them experience.

The thing with Effort is it's a mindset driven by determination and in that 3rd qtr we were absolutely putrid. Maybe they were badly coached/badly structured?
I don't know?
But it seemed the players did not know what to do/where they were playing or who they were playing on.
Lots of Floggard type finger pointing from players was going on thus leading to s**t mindset and confidence in each other.
All you can ask for is players to have a crack and in the 3rd they definitely looked like they were not cracking in hard.
But as you say it really is about the future and getting the kids ready over the next 2-3 years and hope with confidence their effort improves.

2 six day breaks in a row, 5 teenagers, 2 players rested for soreness as well as Cripps wearing a mattress around his ribs.. we were never going to run this one out for 4 quarters. It actually amazes me that so many people were writing us off as we had 2 six day breaks in a row, such is the obvious negative impact, yet the AFL in all their wisdom give us 2 six day weeks on the way to AO! Only side this year to have back to back 6 day rest as far as I know, and they give it to us on an away game.
And make it a Friday night match so everyone can watch our failure.

Stiffler's Dad

Premium Platinum
Oct 8, 2006
Bendigo
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Hungarian Women's Nude Road Bowls
Preach it Stiffmeister (if you don't mind me calling you that), and sorry once more if my previous post was out of line. There were many I could've attacked but yours was unlucky enough to catch me at the peak of my anger.

As a 21 year old supporter, born just a few months before our last premiership my earliest memories of supporting Carlton begin with the stench of the Pagan era. Other than some brief finals cameos I've essentially supported a bottom four club for the majority of my life. That's why I'm keen to give this new generation as much support as they need, because I want to see the greatness of Carlton with my own eyes and not have stories recited to me from those of previous generations.

All good RB.
Thought you may have been a youngster.
I want the exact same thing and I want it for all Blue Bloods.
My kids are 16 and 18 and have had none of the highs I lived through...football ones as well!:)

Blue Baggers

Team Captain
Aug 13, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
I think Pickett has what it takes to make it at the level and with a couple of years under Bolton I think he will be a genuine gun small forward, my mate thinks I'm delusional..

Thoughts?

I think Pickett has what it takes to make it at the level and with a couple of years under Bolton I think he will be a genuine gun small forward, my mate thinks I'm delusional..

Thoughts?
I think he went at pick 3 for a reason. He showed plenty of glimpses tonight if you could be bothered looking.

Blue Warrior

Club Legend
Aug 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton

Thoughts?

You will be laughing in his face when he kicks his first bag it will come. Kid is a jet he's just not fit yet and needs to finish better this will come with experience and pre seasons.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back