Retired #11: David Zaharakis - Survivin'

Remove this Banner Ad

Begley may. As might Mutch.
His best would put him in our top 10 imo. quick, strong running with a good kick on goal.
I would like to see him used as a Smith/Greene type a bit more i think. Get him running up and down field as a ball carrier towards inside 50.

I do like the sound of that. He definitely has the fitness base and pace to take the game on in that capacity; although, as some have pointed out, he looks a bit slow thus far this year.

I really haven't seen mutch of Kobe (brilliant pun right there) - what is he like?

I do like the sound of that. He definitely has the fitness base and pace to take the game on in that capacity; although, as some have pointed out, he looks a bit slow thus far this year.

I really haven't seen mutch of Kobe (brilliant pun right there) - what is he like?
clean is the best way i can describe the little I've seen of him.
I read a lot of the reviews on him and they say pretty much the same thing. good user of the ball on either foot. I need to get down to watch a VFL game and see what he's like since last year.

I agree his role is not to be in and under, but I could say at least a half dozen times already this year when the ball was in between he and the opposition he has shortened his step or just waited for the opposition to take the ball and then try tackle instead of going hard and probable taking a hit.

Yes we are lucky to have so many leaders at the club but this is a guy who was in the leadership group and then got dumped. So at some stage he had the leadership qualities and then lost them? Why is he not voted by his team mates?

Pretty sure instead of having a holiday Joe and Zach spent time in the US training and looking at how they can get better.
Also seems that from the small sample we have Joe's kicking has improved, I cant see anywhere where Zaka has.

In terms of the guts department i have seen Langford go back into the pack heaps and get smashed.
Jackson also puts his head over it. he just isn't good enough to make the team.

For his spot in the best 22. We have to wait and see but from what I can see coming through someone needs to make way soon.

Don't get me wrong. When he's on he's on and we are a better team for it but at the moment he needs to work on some things.

All valid points and you are very much correct that Zaka hasn't had the same level of improvement as Joe's kicking. The point I was trying to make was that Zaka is someone who is clearly putting effort into his game - others may well be too, but as far as leadership goes, that level of contribution should be recognized.

Correct me if I am wrong, but Zaka was originally omitted from the leadership by the coaches. I am not sure if he has put his hand up again for nominations or not, but I do know that he has expressed interest in returning to such a position since. Your guess is as good as mine as to why he has not been reinstated, but I would suggest that people like Zerrett are natural leaders whereas Zaka wants to be a leader. If I was a player, I would be voting for the best leader, and sadly, (for Zaka), I don't think he has the same leadership capacity as those in the current squad.

If we are looking back when determining ones aggression on the ball, I will concede that I have seen Langford go back into packs and have seen Jackson put his head over it. Likewise, I have seen Zaharakis do both too. The primary differences for me this year are:
  • Zaka has a greater interest in the contest this year than Langford does thus far - which is definitely saying something. It could be a confidence issue with Langford.
  • Jackson Merrett is not up to Zaka's level as a player. I don't believe (and I hope) he is not in contention for Zaka's spot - it would be a downgrade.

I definitely agree he needs to work on things. He is a shadow of the Zaka that won a BnF or the player that started on fire at the beginning of last season.

I note that next to no one seriously calls for Zaka to be dropped.

Can we just accept the fact that he IS a best 22 player, but is not, and never will be a superstar?

I for one am stoked to have him at the club, and look forward to his re-signing.

18-20 sharp possessions and a goal or two a game - that's what we want from Zaka.

I agree his role is not to be in and under, but I could say at least a half dozen times already this year when the ball was in between he and the opposition he has shortened his step or just waited for the opposition to take the ball and then try tackle instead of going hard and probable taking a hit.

Yes we are lucky to have so many leaders at the club but this is a guy who was in the leadership group and then got dumped. So at some stage he had the leadership qualities and then lost them? Why is he not voted by his team mates?

Pretty sure instead of having a holiday Joe and Zach spent time in the US training and looking at how they can get better.
Also seems that from the small sample we have Joe's kicking has improved, I cant see anywhere where Zaka has.

In terms of the guts department i have seen Langford go back into the pack heaps and get smashed.
Jackson also puts his head over it. he just isn't good enough to make the team.

For his spot in the best 22. We have to wait and see but from what I can see coming through someone needs to make way soon.

Don't get me wrong. When he's on he's on and we are a better team for it but at the moment he needs to work on some things.

Langford and J Merrett are both poor examples to use when talking about guts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zakka has a great tank & is a classy user who can kick goals. never was or is going to be an inside player. His 2017 season thus far has been OK by his standards- averaging 20 disposals and a goal a game, but not outstanding. I have a feeling though he is about ready to explode, and will really turn it on this Anzac day and hopefully make it a bit of a turning point for the rest of the year. Comon Zakka!!!

Hasn't been great this season but I think a lot of the criticism is due to Zaharakis not playing as well as his 2016 form suggested he could.

I mean heading into this season the general consensus was that Zaka would likely cop a tag due to how damaging he could be if left alone.

Hasn't been great this season but I think a lot of the criticism is due to Zaharakis not playing as well as his 2016 form suggested he could.

I mean heading into this season the general consensus was that Zaka would likely cop a tag due to how damaging he could be if left alone.

He was never going to cop a tag in this side, he's our 5th - 8th best mid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems down on confidence and not enjoying himself. Was so bloody damaging in his bnf year but that was so long ago.

It's Zaka time

012614-david-zaharakis.jpg

20130425000686073700-original.jpg

I note that next to no one seriously calls for Zaka to be dropped.

Can we just accept the fact that he IS a best 22 player, but is not, and never will be a superstar?

I for one am stoked to have him at the club, and look forward to his re-signing.

18-20 sharp possessions and a goal or two a game - that's what we want from Zaka.

It's ridiculous, isn't it?

It's like most are looking for any excuse to sink the boots in. I can't work out whether it is because expectations are high, and fans are disappointed, or because he's quite pretty and therefore must have a default setting of soft.

Why is there never any criticism of Colyer who is numerous times worse than Zaharakis in every facet of his game without the ball and around the contest? Few people will call out Watson and Heppell for being useless off the ball (because they don't run defensively). All I should need to say is "Josh Green".

He's not soft and it surprises me that so many people harp on about having to be at games but then miss what is in front of them. The VFL gives the best perspective of the positioning of mids and wingers and flankers around the ball (because you can hear the players talking to each other). The mids will always plays on the inside with the others standing away from the stoppage. I also don't understand why there is such value in getting KO'd. It makes everyone feel good about themselves but does sweet * all in terms of a game (after which we pretend that it sets a standard).

What became absolutely clear last year, if there was any doubt, and there should not have been, is that Zaharakis is just a good player. He's not good enough to wear a tag but as second-string midfielder he is a quality outside player who, unlike a lot of these types, can at least get his hands dirty on the inside if it is required. He is good enough to rip five or six games a year to pieces rotating between the half forward line and on-ball.

No reason he will not play another hundred games.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We need someone both faster and more damaging with disposal on the outside than we have in the current 22, and thats neither Zaka or Colyers fault (and Zerret isn't knocking the door down).

We struggle to put teams to the sword without real class in this position - think Winders and Lovett and you are talking the class we need here.

I've cringed a few times before opening this thread since Round 1 as it's been predictable Zaka bashing.

Just be thankful he plays for Essendon instead of another club, was an Essendon fan growing up and therefore knows the emotional swings of supporter ship, is a clutch player and is a good representative of the club even if he's not well spoken.

Also, very well said BrunoV aka The Iron Sheik.

We need someone both faster and more damaging with disposal on the outside than we have in the current 22, and thats neither Zaka or Colyers fault (and Zerret isn't knocking the door down).

We struggle to put teams to the sword without real class in this position - think Winders and Lovett and you are talking the class we need here.

Faster than Colyer?

We recruiting Barry Allan?

Faster than Colyer?

My point - if you watch the last 5 minutes of ANZAC day 2009 (and I was blessed to be there), Zakas day - was all Lovett in the last 5. Delivering exactly what we need that role to deliver now. Speed, class with the ball and a couple of goals.

He owned that last 5 minutes and Winders had that capacity as well.

Coyler doesn't have the full package. Neither does Zaka but as I've said thats not to blame. Its just how it is.

Last edited:
My point - if you watch the last 5 minutes of ANZAC day 2009 (and I was blessed to be there), Zakas day - was all Lovett in the last 5. Delivering exactly what we need that role to deliver now. Speed, class with the ball and a couple of goals.

He owned that last 5 minutes and Winders had that capacity as well.

Coyler doesn't have the full package. Neither does Zaka but as I've said thats not to blame. Its just how it is.
Go watch the the last 5 minutes of the win against Hawthorn R2 2015. It was all Trav

Go watch the the last 5 minutes of the win against Hawthorn R2 2015. It was all Trav
Lovett V Trav is not even a discussion point. Lovett was a far superior footballer.

Edit; who would you rather have running the lines against Carlton 2 weeks ago?

Last edited:
My opinion is that Lovett was far superior in talent but was very inconsistent.

Football has changed so much even in the time that Lovett has left the game but he would probably not have made it today.

Colyer is a modern day footballer and at 25yo his best football is ahead of him.

Zaka I believe would be better reviving his career elsewhere. The difference between his best and worse is to far apart and good teams don't carry players that inconsistent. At 27yo I can't see that much more improvement. I would happily take a pick in the 30's for him.

My opinion is that Lovett was far superior in talent but was very inconsistent.

Football has changed so much even in the time that Lovett has left the game but he would probably not have made it today.

Colyer is a modern day footballer and at 25yo his best football is ahead of him.

Zaka I believe would be better reviving his career elsewhere. The difference between his best and worse is to far apart and good teams don't carry players that inconsistent. At 27yo I can't see that much more improvement. I would happily take a pick in the 30's for him.
Lovett would be one of the fastest and most skilled players in the comp (both sides) in any era of football.

He would also struggle in any era for the same reasons he struggled in his.

The point is made replacing Lovett with Winders or Rama. Jets with skill are required to capitalise on hard won football.

I agree with your point about the pic. Or an upgrade to what we need in this role. Harsh as it is thats sport these days. Finishers make a big difference.

Last edited:
Faster than Colyer?

Can we please? Just tell him to start in the middle, take the ball and flash to the goal square :D

Lovett would be one of the fastest and most skilled players in the comp (both sides) in any era of football.

He would also struggle in any era for the same reasons he struggled in his.

The point is made replacing Lovett with Winders or Rama. Jets with skill are required to capitalise on hard won football.

I agree with your point about the pic. Or an upgrade to what we need in this role. Harsh as it is thats sport these days. Finishers make a big difference.
I agree that 'Jets' are an important commodity, but thats only if they play within the confines of the team structure.
Most people would agree that Cyril is one of those 'Jets" that you are talking about, but its the tackling and defensive work that is what sets him apart.

The best Wing/HF players currently getting around are probably Gaff and Scully. I wouldn't say either of them are brilliant.

It's ridiculous, isn't it?

It's like most are looking for any excuse to sink the boots in. I can't work out whether it is because expectations are high, and fans are disappointed, or because he's quite pretty and therefore must have a default setting of soft.

Why is there never any criticism of Colyer who is numerous times worse than Zaharakis in every facet of his game without the ball and around the contest? Few people will call out Watson and Heppell for being useless off the ball (because they don't run defensively). All I should need to say is "Josh Green".

He's not soft and it surprises me that so many people harp on about having to be at games but then miss what is in front of them. The VFL gives the best perspective of the positioning of mids and wingers and flankers around the ball (because you can hear the players talking to each other). The mids will always plays on the inside with the others standing away from the stoppage. I also don't understand why there is such value in getting KO'd. It makes everyone feel good about themselves but does sweet **** all in terms of a game (after which we pretend that it sets a standard).

What became absolutely clear last year, if there was any doubt, and there should not have been, is that Zaharakis is just a good player. He's not good enough to wear a tag but as second-string midfielder he is a quality outside player who, unlike a lot of these types, can at least get his hands dirty on the inside if it is required. He is good enough to rip five or six games a year to pieces rotating between the half forward line and on-ball.

No reason he will not play another hundred games.
Why do you feel the need to take a swing at other players you are known for disliking in your defence of a player you clearly do like? Is it not enough to just defend your man if you feel that's what's necessary? Maybe there isn't as much criticism of the players you mention because we don't expect as much of them as someone who has been consistently in the ones for 7 or 8 years.

Why do you feel the need to take a swing at other players you are known for disliking in your defence of a player you clearly do like? Is it not enough to just defend your man if you feel that's what's necessary? Maybe there isn't as much criticism of the players you mention because we don't expect as much of them as someone who has been consistently in the ones for 7 or 8 years.

Because the inconsistencies of view shared by fans sets out the context in which those opinions are held and, in my view, highlights the inaccuracy of those opinions.

Edit: Colyer has been in the system 1 year less than Zaharakis. Watson is a club stallwart, Heppell the captain and a 100 game player and Josh Green has been in the system for seven years.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back