Recommitted Jacob Hopper [re-signed]

Remove this Banner Ad

Can we have Jaksch back since you're in such a giving mood?

Jaksch is being wasted in VFL I agree - he must have done something wrong as coaches not giving him a go in a developing squad

he is still only 22 but would like to see him given a go in firsts and soon.

Jaksch is being wasted in VFL I agree - he must have done something wrong as coaches not giving him a go in a developing squad

he is still only 22 but would like to see him given a go in firsts and soon.

Correct

Jed Lamb and Liam Sumner too.

Fair to say we have some sellers regret there and want them back. Leon was a little hasty in moving them on.

Would you entertain Hopper and Kennedy and a pick for Jaksch, Lamb and Sumner? We will need our first rounder as we have a draft penalty but perhaps a 2nd rounder??

Open to suggestions!

Correct

Jed Lamb and Liam Sumner too.

Fair to say we have some sellers regret there and want them back. Leon was a little hasty in moving them on.

Would you entertain Hopper and Kennedy and a pick for Jaksch, Lamb and Sumner? We will need our first rounder as we have a draft penalty but perhaps a 2nd rounder??

Open to suggestions!

Kelly for Ahern straight swap is on.

Kelly for Ahern straight swap is on.
d1289c7e54f03da4b52e9349bbccb99d.gif

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

I just don't think you will be able to compete contract wise.

That being said, your list of unsigned players beyond this year is quite large:

Morgan, Howlett, Goddard, Stanton, McKenna, Parish, Zaharakis, Hocking, J.Merrett, Long, Kelly, Watson, Daniher, Green, Baguley, Brown, Fantasia, Ambrose, Draper, McKernan, Eades. *Contract status via Footywire, might not be up to date.

You would have a better idea than me on who in that list of players gets a new contract by end of the year, but I assume players such as Parish, Zaharakis, Daniher and Fantasia would be demanding some good coin. Plus the big contracts you signed Merrett, Heppell, Hooker and Hurley too.

Maybe 'no' chance is extreme, rumors of Hopper to Carlton were heard last season. Time will tell.
Most of that is about right, but our priorities aren't bad this year
Daniher - will get a pay increase. nothing huge though
Zaka - increase, but won't leave
Parish - deserves a decent contract.
Add to that the cap will increase this year
We had cash for Jaeger (750k a year?)

I don't think Kelly, Watson or Baguley will go around again. Those 3 alone are $1m a year plus 3 draftee contracts
J.Merrett and Long may end up VFL listed. Eades won't be re-signed you would think. 3 more lower end contracts
Morgan we will persist with, but he wouldn't get a contract upgrade at this stage.
McKernan, Howlett, McKenna, Hocking, Green, Brown, McKernan and Drapre won't command massive contracts.

If we had 750k for jaeger, plus a $1m spare from 3 retirements, plus 3 lower end contracts, plus the cap increase.
safe to say we'd have space to re-sign everyone AND bring 2-3 decent recruits in.

The reason these guys would leave would be big contacts so I'm not sure that logic follows. Steele is the closest example and he left because Hopper had leapfrogged him. Hopper, OTOH, is playing just about every game. Kennedy is more fringe but is getting more regular game time than Steele. If they leave it won't be for peanuts, contract-wise.

When I say big contracts I'm talking $900,000 - $1,000,000 per year. These guys will get their $500,000 - $600,000 per year which I think they Giants will struggle to pay for all 3 of them. If a Carlton or North are willing to throw $900,000 - $1,000,000 per year at them then they can have them but I think that's a really risky strategy. Does anybody know what sort of money the Saints are paying for Steele?

I'd be curious to hear what people think Hopper is worth?? And to a lesser extent Kennedy, Setterfield & Devon Smith?

Our 2018 1st pick + something FOR Hopper & M Kennedy is what im hoping to see.
The something would be Cripps or Weitering right? Otherwise that's a pretty crap deal for GWS. That'd maybe be likely for 1 of those players but not for 2.

When I say big contracts I'm talking $900,000 - $1,000,000 per year. These guys will get their $500,000 - $600,000 per year which I think they Giants will struggle to pay for all 3 of them. If a Carlton or North are willing to throw $900,000 - $1,000,000 per year at them then they can have them but I think that's a really risky strategy. Does anybody know what sort of money the Saints are paying for Steele?

I'd be curious to hear what people think Hopper is worth?? And to a lesser extent Kennedy, Setterfield & Devon Smith?

I'd say $500k-600k is a big contract for guys coming off their first rookie contract. :) That's pretty unusual cash thrown around for that, and is the ballpark of what I was thinking. I'd imagine GWS would be looking in the $350k-400k range based off normal post-draftee contracts, etc.

I agree that I don't think they'll be getting the $900k+ totals.

If they seek a move then each of them will looking for either greater opportunity or a big payday. Greater opportunity doesn't really apply to Hopper - who I'd argue is best-22 - so if he moves then he is looking for a big contract. There is no point speculating about Setterfield at this stage. Kennedy appears to be the one most likely to see greater opportunity, which means that out of him and Hopper he is the one who is more likely to move without a big contract offer.

Just wishful thinking with Setterfield, I'm a big fan.

As for the other 2 I totally agree. If Smith & Kennedy leave I'd be surprised if GWS let hopper go as well.

Haha Carlton supporters always over rating their players. Im a personal trainer and i was training this mad carlton supporter this morning and he reckons they will trade casboult, graham and buckley all for second round picks and then they will use those points and a couple of lower picks points for someones first rounder then they'll use it for hopper. When i told him those blokes don't even get a game at the likely bottom side he said they would be worth something at another club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haha Carlton supporters always over rating their players.

I would suggest the behaviour you have described - most commonly known as 'stupidity' - is not exclusive to certain Carlton supporters.

Every supporter base has idiots who criminally overrate their players.

I would suggest the behaviour you have described - most commonly known as 'stupidity' - is not exclusive to certain Carlton supporters.

Yeah mate i know, I barrick for collingwood . Just thought it was funny

To be fair there were few blues fans on BF thinking Andrejs Everitt would get a second rounder when he was traded for the equivalent of pick 54 or something

Remove this Banner Ad

Back