Is Ross still the man for the job?

• Total voters

Proud SJW

Cancelled
Aug 27, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I worry that we haven't quite bottomed out yet, and this run of wins is a false spring. Looking at the last 3 wins, it was our elder statesmen in Mundy, Sandi, and MJ who were tremendous for us at the death. Don't know how much longer we will have them for, as at that age bracket form and bodies can turn around really quickly. I'm particularly worried about Sandi, as we've been working him triple time with no relief.

There's part of me that thinks we would be better off with one more low draft pick rather than one mid-pack, but I think that these close come back wins are invaluable for building team culture and giving our promising young boys more of a reason to stay even if there will be a period of being at the bottom. It also teaches them how to win (I.e. See Melbourne and North for examples of teams that need to learn to win).
Excellent, not a single incorrect thing about anything you said there. Particularly that last part about the draft; high draft picks alone won't get it done inside a fair few years, as proved by GWS, GCS, and every other team who has spent years in the wilderness even with every handout possible.
But of course, on the flip side and as you said, we have a couple of senior players who are extremely important for us right now, who won't be around in a year or two, and who will need replacing.
Preferably with the best draft picks available.

Finding the balance is going to be quite a trick.
Considering this thread is about Lyon, the focus should be entirely on seeing how he goes about it. We've had posters saying he's washed up, a one-trick pony, incapable of a rebuild... or a god sent redeemer, and everything in between. Most of us, vocal or otherwise, are really quite happy to sit back and watch for a while to see if he's up to it.

We're in for a bit of pain yet, three on the trot notwithstanding. And we need to remember it's not all about Ross, either. The coach is only the coach and he has to work with what he has to work with.
So far, though, I'm sanguine.

Mind you - I said much the same (elsewhere) about Trump being elected POTAS, and that isn't going so well. I'm hoping for a fifty-fifty strike ratio at this point.

meima

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 5, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool
Hope he do a masterpiece bringing in d.pearce, suban and sutty in next week against eagles .

Apr 25, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
There's part of me that thinks we would be better off with one more low draft pick rather than one mid-pack

I'm loving the wins right now, longer term though, I can't help but feel that they are phyric victories. But - if we can follow up on last seasons success at trades and maybe get a win or two finally with free agents, it might work out.

Grape Bear

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 12, 2012
Middle of Nowhere
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'm loving the wins right now, longer term though, I can't help but feel that they are phyric victories. But - if we can follow up on last seasons success at trades and maybe get a win or two finally with free agents, it might work out.

It's a hard one, isn't it? On the other hand, if it keeps us Fyfe and the rest of the young brigade, I won't complain. Plus it adds to our credentials as a destination club if it looks like we are heading in the right direction, as it's hard enough to attract players to WA as it is.

Proud SJW

Cancelled
Aug 27, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
At the risk of sounding nit picky, the term "Pyrrhic victory" would more accurately describe 2015 than 2017 :)

scon

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2009
western australia
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Long haired Champs.
A tad melodramatic but you Greeks love that s**t.
It is a rebuild of a squad that has competed in the finals for the last 4/5.
This time around it's looking like an entirely different squad and style.
Outside speed by hand,leg,brain and foot is our new hallmark.
Before his contract's out we'll see how much Lyon understands footy;
and of course the corollary 'how much bigfooty understands footy'.

Apr 25, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
At the risk of sounding nit picky, the term "Pyrrhic victory" would more accurately describe 2015 than 2017 :)

But victory when rebuilding compromise the future of that rebuild, if we lose any or all of Mundy/Johno/Sandi, we probably won't replace their likes with pick 10

BStaff17

Premiership Player
Aug 1, 2016
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Draft picks are good but they are not the end of the world. Winning games is more important

Look at melbourne a losing culture seeps into the club and its still recovering from it a decade later. How many top 10 draft picks have they had since 2006. Nothing fast tracks a rebuild more than winning games. Especially games the like the last 3 weeks. Winning becomes a habit just like losing becomes one.

If you start to have a 3 to 4 wins a year back to back it starts becomes a mess which takes a long time to recover.

Hope he do a masterpiece bringing in d.pearce, suban and sutty in next week against eagles .
that__s_not_funny_by_wolfdragonxxx-d4tw142.jpg

meima

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 5, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool
Yup you got lots to contribute.

Last edited:

TheMcManusNose

Premiership Player
Apr 21, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Vancouver Canucks
I worry that we haven't quite bottomed out yet, and this run of wins is a false spring. Looking at the last 3 wins, it was our elder statesmen in Mundy, Sandi, and MJ who were tremendous for us at the death. Don't know how much longer we will have them for, as at that age bracket form and bodies can turn around really quickly. I'm particularly worried about Sandi, as we've been working him triple time with no relief.

There's part of me that thinks we would be better off with one more low draft pick rather than one mid-pack, but I think that these close come back wins are invaluable for building team culture and giving our promising young boys more of a reason to stay even if there will be a period of being at the bottom. It also teaches them how to win (I.e. See Melbourne and North for examples of teams that need to learn to win).

Yeah nail on the head there.

I think we have a decent amount of young talent already in the team. There's probably more value in getting the wins for players like Weller, Tucker, Blakely, Langdon, Hughes, Balic and Logue. I also think we're still picking top-10 this year though. We've beaten a shaky dogs side, melbourne without a couple of key players and the 0-5 Roos.

Cobbler

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 7, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Interesting comments about have we bottomed and that it's our vets that are carrying us. I don't disagree, but that's the beauty of our mix.

Next season the 12 or so youngsters are all 10% better individually and the growth comes from there.

Really it is only Sandi, Mundy and Johnson to go out of our best 22 as it stands. Glad we've moved on from Zac, Pearce, Dawson and I'll assume Ballatyne has runs his last legs.

Sandi is irreplaceable. Mundy? Think we can reasonably cover in the midfield. Johnson? Alex Pearce comes straight in and his development could be exciting too.

Ibbo will also be gone, but he's not exactly on fire currently.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Interesting comments about have we bottomed and that it's our vets that are carrying us. I don't disagree, but that's the beauty of our mix.

Next season the 12 or so youngsters are all 10% better individually and the growth comes from there.

Really it is only Sandi, Mundy and Johnson to go out of our best 22 as it stands. Glad we've moved on from Zac, Pearce, Dawson and I'll assume Ballatyne has runs his last legs.

Sandi is irreplaceable. Mundy? Think we can reasonably cover in the midfield. Johnson? Alex Pearce comes straight in and his development could be exciting too.

Ibbo will also be gone, but he's not exactly on fire currently.
Losing champions always hurts, but we've seen this coming;

Sandilands is going around again next season and Darcy is developing.
Mundy should go around again too, and Balic is progressing well, and we do have other midfield options.
MJ is playing in our backlime which ha pretty decent depth with a raft of young players gradually coming up to speed. Logue, Cox, Duman, Ryan.

You wish they could play forever, but age does weary them.

poshman

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 13, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
With five minutes to go one of the members who sits three seats down from me said 'ah it's ok we want the high draft pick more than this win anyway'

Cut to Kersten kicking the winning goal... hugs and high fives and jubilation!

Strange but enjoyable time. We do need another highly skilled tall. Also Alex getting a good run of games without injury is key.

Apr 25, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Really it is only Sandi, Mundy and Johnson to go out of our best 22 as it stands

Depth is important though.

We need to be replacing Dawson, Pearce possibly Ibbo, Griffen, Ballas as well as those 3 in probably this year, maybe next year. We also have a few perennially injured types in Clarke, Bennell, Apeness and hate to add his name to the list, but Alex Pearce, that may get up or may retire due to injuries.

At the least, it's a lot of turnover and at it's worse it's a mind blowing turnover of the list (on top of the previous year). I admit, I am probably just being a bit of a nervous Nellie about it all.

Back