Autopsy Freo smash the Kangas - Never in doubt!

Remove this Banner Ad

It was quite a weird game tbh north didnt really take the game on when they were dominated in that 2 qtr and 1st half of the 3rd. They were quite slow and like watching the old Freo in a way and kept the door ajar for us to come back in the last.

In saying that i thought our defence is starting to get back to its best considering north got 6 out of their 9 goals from free kicks. Were they justified or not who knows but no point worrying about it now the game is over.

We missed some easy set shots as well which didnt help but kept pushing and eventually got in front.

Ever since ross arrived we have a outstanding record in close games we have won a lot games in the last couple of minutes so that tells me we have the composure to hang on after hitting the front in the dying minutes when you compare it to north who cant win a close game if there lives depended on it.

The older players are still the main contributers atm but there are signs of improvement from young guys. Ethan Hughes was better again last night.

If weller can get the danyle pearce bombing it in the 50 to the opposition out of his game he could be considered for AA in a year or 2.

Anyway great to get win and should fuel more belief into the young guys.

Have a look at the Norf player push Neale (I think) fair in the back to take him out of play. Nothing but crickets from the controlling umpire. If Kersten had missed the goal, whats the betting it would have been all fair, play on.

The Frees may have been even but the umpiring was solidly backing up norfs. It was a disgusting effort

I think Weller needs more support coming out of defence. He was great again last night but he had 8 clangers (2 were frees against) and almost all of his 7 inside 50s weren't targeted like we need them to be with our short forward line. It seems to be by design that we get the ball to him as often as possible coming out of defence but I just think the load is too great for one player and needs to be shared more. I don't get why Sheridan and Hughes aren't being used more on the rebound as they have shown in the past they can run the ball. I'm all for Spurr, Ibbo and Hamling being told to get the ball to a half back or mid quickly after an intercept but think we might be missing out on some of Lachie's class kicking through the massive workload we are lumping him with. We look strongest when we run down field as a wave of running defenders and mids imo. Although maybe it's just timing and we'll see more as the season progresses.

I didn't see any of the game last night due to music commitments and its fascinating to read all the commentary before watching the replay this morning. From what i read here I was expecting horrendous umpiring, atrocious skill errors and barracking from the commentators instead of what was actually a reasonably well adjudicated contest called with great excitement and while skills were not as polished as they could have been the errors were in degrees of millimetres under enormous pressure.
Thrilling stuff and a great effort by both sides.
Loved Weller, Hamling continues to excel, Spurr and Ibbo were ok, MJ starred.
Blakely had important touches, Fyfe, Sandi and Mundy were immense and I thought Tucker really shone in the last few minutes.
The McCarthy Kersten pairing gets better every week, Logue and Crozier add unpredictability to the forward half.
Hill bros influential again and awful timing for Stephen to go down when he did, crucial that he's ok he's been in our top 3 every week for all the wins.
Sensational game. Oh and Brady was immense at times, well done young man.

I must be watching different games.

Brad Hill and Weller burnt more balls than a vasectomy doctor.
Johnson turned it over twice in a minute with no pressure.
And the umpiring was beyond appalling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I watch the last quarter reply , I agree tucker should be given more time in AFL same as logue. Spurr and ibbo is OK as currently there is no ideal replacement for them .

If you thought the umpiring was disgusting last night, history says that was just the warm up for next week against the toasters. At least it gives us a taste of what to expect. In over twenty years we have never had fair umpiring in a derby.
If Hamling farts within twenty metres of Kennedy it will be a free shot at goal. If Fyfe gets an elbow in the mouth and loses all his teeth, it will be called a great tackle and replayed thirty times.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have a look at the Norf player push Neale (I think) fair in the back to take him out of play. Nothing but crickets from the controlling umpire. If Kersten had missed the goal, whats the betting it would have been all fair, play on.

The Frees may have been even but the umpiring was solidly backing up norfs. It was a disgusting effort

I thought I was the only one who saw that, shouldn't that have been a hands in the back free? I've seen so many not paid, I'm confused when it should be.

That's just player management. He has to consider the morale of players outside of the 22.
Agreed. Plus Ross is known as a player's coach and he wants all the players to know they will not be cast aside coldly. He knows the pain they will feel and will support them. It is good for team morale. Stops those dropped from dropping their bundle.

He is a great manager of men is our Ross.

I thought I was the only one who saw that, shouldn't that have been a hands in the back free? I've seen so many not paid, I'm confused when it should be.

Absolutely clear hands in the back free but it doesn't seem to work if you have a purple shirt.

If that had been to a norfs player, the whistle couldn't have fast enough. That sort of missed free seems to happen to us with monotonous regularity but they never miss one against us. I've even seen some invented.

These double standards by the umpires are simply bullshit and I do not believe for one second that they are being missed by AFL House, so the question has to be why does it happen?

Absolutely clear hands in the back free but it doesn't seem to work if you have a purple shirt.

If that had been to a norfs player, the whistle couldn't have fast enough. That sort of missed free seems to happen to us with monotonous regularity but they never miss one against us. I've even seen some invented.

These double standards by the umpires are simply bullshit and I do not believe for one second that they are being missed by AFL House, so the question has to be why does it happen?

ballantyne, Crowley, carr etc etc

build up a dirty reputation and it takes years to wash the stain away...the eagles are 'nice guys'. They do off season charity work in Cambodia!

The day after the night before and all I feel is relief.

We played well below expectations but did enough to get the win.

The umpiring was beyond disgusting. North had 7 goals from direct umpire interference compared to our 1-2.

I loved the fight from the likes of Brady Grey last night and he is fast becoming a vital best 22 player. Dare I say it, but he reminds me a little bit of Ballas with his pressure on the ball.

Our forward 50 entries last night were quite pathetic and really, half the night, I wasn't sure who we were kicking to.

The fact remains, we've won 3 in a row, coming from behind on each occasion and I am seriously concerned for my heart and life expectancy if games like this persist.

This.
I wanted to say if we scrutinize the videos we'll see that the frees are there. But I'm not sure at all.
The whistle is just that little bit easier, that little bit faster. And I'm frustrated by 2 incidents and i want to know what our boys did.

1. Mundy's off the ball. They reversed a shot at goal for an off the ball incident. That's literally changing the results of the game and the reasons need to be solid. It better not be some soft bump or push on the chest X-(

2. A bunch of players were having a scuffle at the boundary. I see a gut punch by a north on Neale (I think). And the free is given against Sheridan, and not sure what's it's for. The camera is on his back all the time and all I see if him trying to get a north player off Grey. Free kick into the 50 for north.

And speaking of Grey. Everyone is having a free shot at Grey. Not even a talking to.

I'm so glad we won this match. Or else it'll seem like we are just sore losers complaining about the umpiring. But it's just silly bad.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back