Trav 20

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Idiots get ignored
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Dees
From an article last year entitled 'Jake Stringer has the score on the board in big games'

'Something has come over Stringer in the Bulldogs' biggest games, though. Playing against top-eight sides, he has had more scoreboard impact than any other player in the competition, his average of 22.1 points placing him ahead of Kennedy, Jesse Hogan, Betts, Jarryd Roughead and Chad Wingard for combined scores and score assists.'

http://m.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news...n-the-board-in-big-games-20150908-gjhj8l.html

Wow. How good is Hogan to be in that company in his first year of playing AFL footy ?

Testekill

Don't look at me like that
Dec 3, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Bulldogs, Williamstown
Wines is a damn good player and he was always going to be the sure-bet of being a great AFL player. Stringer however was touted as a number one draft pick prior to breaking his leg and he is finally showing just how much of a freak he is.

From a Collingwood perspective you'd have to select Stringer, a forward line of Cloke/Moore/Stringer would be pretty exciting! I rate Wines very highly but the midfield is the area we need the least amount of help in at this stage.

Young Gun #6

Norm Smith Medallist
May 24, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Juventus, Suns
Wines is stepping up to elite this year. Pool results would be switched if people were voting know you'd think. Changed his style to throwing people off him and giving himself more time ala Dustin Martin style of play.

Playing very very similar to him this year with his disposal efficiency up from 59% to 67% and changers down 4.6 to 3.7.

Noticeable in watching him how much quicker he has gotten and how impossible to tackle he has been this year.

Turning elite and would be a long way ahead of Stringer at the current time.

Jun 26, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It's amazing how many people are writing Stringer after one below par year, even though he still managed to kick 44 goals in a premiership year. He still has a higher ceiling than Wines, I believe. He is a special talent, the types of player he is don't come around too often. Wines is definitley better at this current time, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Stringer ahead at the end of their careers, and visa vera for Wines being ahead of Stringer.

Oct 5, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Stringer for me.
Wines will go down as a champion.
Stringer has the chance to become one of the top three players in the entire competition due to his mixture of size, athleticism and creativity.
He's very, very close to putting it all together at the moment.

Young Gun #6

Norm Smith Medallist
May 24, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Juventus, Suns
It's amazing how many people are writing Stringer after one below par year, even though he still managed to kick 44 goals in a premiership year. He still has a higher ceiling than Wines, I believe. He is a special talent, the types of player he is don't come around too often. Wines is definitley better at this current time, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Stringer ahead at the end of their careers, and visa vera for Wines being ahead of Stringer.

It's not even the current regression of Stringer but if you've seen Wines this year he's taken that next step. The old clanger wines isn't there. He breaks nearly every tackle applied to him and then disposed of it much more effeciently. Also showing the ability to go forward and kick some goals as well.

Jun 26, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It's not even the current regression of Stringer but if you've seen Wines this year he's taken that next step. The old clanger wines isn't there. He breaks nearly every tackle applied to him and then disposed of it much more effeciently. Also showing the ability to go forward and kick some goals as well.
I'll admit I haven't seen too much of Wines, I did watch tonight though and he was ridiculously good. I was talking more in a broader sense though, as within a year Stringer has gone from being rated as an better talent than Bontempelli and being compared to Gary Ablett to now being an overrated piece of s**t. I can't wait until they'll both be at their peaks though, will be incredible to watch.

Oct 5, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
compared to Gary Ablett

I don't think he was compared in the sense of player v player, but more so the comparisons in natural ability as Stringer is very cat-like in terms of jumping ability, speed off a standing mark and power through the legs, which he has shown when having shots 55-60 metres out from goal.
It's those qualities, and his compact frame which are similar to Ablett Senior.

Jun 26, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I don't think he was compared in the sense of player v player, but more so the comparisons in natural ability as Stringer is very cat-like in terms of jumping ability, speed off a standing mark and power through the legs, which he has shown when having shots 55-60 metres out from goal.
It's those qualities, and his compact frame which are similar to Ablett Senior.
Yeah but I mean in general, for a player to be compared in even the slightest way to Gary Ablett means they are something special.

Aug 24, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
T'Wolves/Patrick Beverley/Footscray
Have heard that Stringer just can't or won't work hard enough defensively to be given more midfield time.
It's less work rate and more awareness. His defensive work ethic/chasing has improved tenfold but he's a bit too prone to charging to offensive positions and forgetting about his man. He definitely does work a lot harder to get back now though.

Has been really important for us at stages through the middle of the ground but his "all or nothing" approach is a tad too risky to employ full time. I'm still hopeful moving into the future, but we'll see what happens.

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
It's less work rate and more awareness. His defensive work ethic/chasing has improved tenfold but he's a bit too prone to charging to offensive positions and forgetting about his man. He definitely does work a lot harder to get back now though.

Has been really important for us at stages through the middle of the ground but his "all or nothing" approach is a tad too risky to employ full time. I'm still hopeful moving into the future, but we'll see what happens.

Yeah I'd agree with this. Some players just can't wrap their heads around the structures.

Substance

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 6, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I stand by this, only I'll add that Stringer will be more of a match winner but week to week he won't have the quality of consistency of Wines.

Have to agree with this at the moment. Thought Stringer would be our superstar after 2015, I even thought he was better than Bont. But he just isn't consistent quarter to quarter let alone week to week. He'll always be that player that can turn a game in 5 minutes, but not as reliable as Wines is across an entire game right now. Maybe that will change in 2 years when he is 24 and has 100+ games under his belt.

Golden_6

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 15, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
I feel Stringer will be one of those players that just floats along for the next few years with decent performances (16-18 touches a game/50 goal seasons) and people will still criticize him, despite great numbers. I also believe that later in career when he turns 26/27 he will absolutely explode and become that top 5 player that his ability would allow him to be.

Back