spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
coz I can - the 5 best

05d5d8653731e3b3c2cab8648899c0cb

Bloody legends.
Never seen Jezza in person but I suspect he is our best player ever in terms of just pure talent. Before my time but the hlghlights of him in grainy old black and white tv show he had cat like balance like few have had in this great game. Saw Doully once going down escalators in Doncaster Shopping Centre or somewhere in that part of Melbourne about a decade ago and one of few people in life I just looked on in awe and amused that most people under 30 would not know a true legend just walked by.

Once found myself standing next to Big Nick at the G. Even as an old guy very intimidating looking fellow.

I would have had Wayne Johnston in this pic before Sticks and get a frame of it at home.

OnceWeWereKings

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
The thing with Doull is that you could play him in the backline next week and I know he would be our best defender.

I'm always wary of comparing players from different eras, but I do think the champions would be champions playing at anytime throughout history.

But even using "Big Nick" as an example, we now have midfielders that are 4 to 5 inches taller than he was as a ruckman.

But this is where The Doormat stands out, he played the game with an eternal finesse, it was timeless.

Simply the greatest, most consistent, elegant defender to have ever played the game.

Last edited:
Incredible footballer. I was born in 89 so I missed Doull but he just looks like one of The most balanced and intelligent footballers ever. We would kill for him now
2 points - he gave me more joy as a spectator than even Judd, Kouta and Cripps - and geez Bob Skilton was an appalling commentator.

Nov 11, 2005
Queensland
AFL Club
Carlton
2 points - he gave me more joy as a spectator than even Judd, Kouta and Cripps - and geez Bob Skilton was an appalling commentator.
Skilton was an absolute shocker. I really disliked his commentary.

Doull was an out & out champion. Best defender of our time, not just for Carlton but the entire competition. You look at the highlights in that video & he was providing run from defence long before it became fashionable.

Foucault1989

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Skilton was an absolute shocker. I really disliked his commentary.

Doull was an out & out champion. Best defender of our time, not just for Carlton but the entire competition. You look at the highlights in that video & he was providing run from defence long before it became fashionable.
That cheeky spin - he seemed to read the play well before his opponent.

GoBlues!

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 1, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Doull was usually cool as a cucumber in defence, only once did I see him get flustered and back away from making contact..... Helen D'Amico in the 1982 GF. :D

Sep 5, 2013
Chirnside Park
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Doull was usually cool as a cucumber in defence, only once did I see him get flustered and back away from making contact..... Helen D'Amico in the 1982 GF. :D
there was one other time when that dick from the Essendon took his headband he lost his s**t, I was a kid that day and was yelling out to Doully to knock his head off!

Cripps 'n' Blue Bloods

Sir Cripps of Carlton House
Mar 26, 2015
Bendigo
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Melbourne Tigers, Bendigo Braves, OKC
If you too young to see Bruce Doull play some decent highlights of his 1984 season by the wonderful Spirit of Carlton group.

Was only 8 when he retired, but my favourite player as a kid. Was never out of a contest. Even when he went to ground and the ball moved on, a couple of seconds later and he'd be right back in it and probably winning the ball.

Jun 6, 2007
Footscray
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sunderland,Pelicans, LA Kings
Carlton use to play games on ANZAC day. On this very day Tuesday April 25 1989 Carlton played Essendon at Princes Park in front of 33,000. It was a Round 4 game and Wallsy was feeling the heat from Carlton's awful start to the season. What a day to bounce back? I readied myself for the clash anticipating an exciting game of footy. My wife killed all that by saying she was in the early stages of labour. I gave it some thought before agreeing to stay home! I listened on the radio. Who knows? ABC, 3AW maybe 3KZ is football. We chased Essendon all day but couldn't get the better of them. A big last quarter saw the final score at 15.20.110 to 21.12.138. Things would get worse for Wallsy with the Brisbane Bears and Warrick Capper to come. Looking at the stats the skipper had a fair game. 20 kicks, 6 handballs, 16 marks and 3 goals (that's about our forwards output for one game now although 16 marks is a stretch). He was well supported by Naley, Rhys-Jones, Blackwell and Bradley. My wife lasted until the game had finished and we arrived at the Mercy at around 6PM. At 8.18PM my son was born. He's 28 today and a fierce Carlton supporter. It was a great day for the family but not so great for the Blues.

FootyGeek

Premiership Player
Feb 6, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton
In fact from 1980 to 1990 Carlton played in 8 Anzac Day games. Most were on Tuesdays Wednesdays and Thursdays. Only one MCG game and that was against Melbourne, most of the rest were at PP or Waverley.

Essendon and Collingwood happened to arse a high scoring draw in 1995 and capitalised on rising patriotism.

Was there.

Was the one where Ezard took the big spekkie.

Sellers, with the glorious fake, kicked the sealer.

Was that the game with the Ezard mark? Don't recall that but remember it was bloody windy. He was a ripper Maclure!

Blues177

Club Legend
Oct 3, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
I remember one year out at VFL Park we played Essendon. We were kicking against the wind in the last quarter and Tommy Alvin drilled through a low goal. Was a great game and we got up!

1986 Anzac day. A hard fought game and I remember thinking that we would not lose after Alvin kicked that goal.
It was Essendon's first loss in 12 matches ...their previous loss was against the blues in the second half of the '85 season at Princes Park. Remarkable outcome at the time considering Essendon had beaten us 10 games in a row from '81-'85.

Back