Analysis The Matt Taberner effect

Remove this Banner Ad

Tabs could definitely develop a bit more physicality around the contest, that I agree with. He has been using his body better in one on one contested marking situation at the Peel games I've been to so I gather this is an area he is working on.

Peels midfield has been getting spanked early in games though. Do you expect Tabs to run up the ground and get his own ball then kick it to himself? That is an unfair criticism.
I think it's a fair criticism. From the Peel games that I have watched, Tabs really struggles to impose himself on the game early and seems to come into his own in the second half. I think this is because he doesn't have enough speed to get separation from his defender and doesn't have the core strength to win in a body on body contest. As the game wears on and his defender tires he is able to get separation and is able to hold his marks.

I agree with meima that we need to see him winning one on one contests right from the start of the game - quite often Peel are well behind before Tabs really starts to get into the game. It's not just about the delivery, it's about his ability to soften his hands and take the ball at its highest point.

The guy is 199cm, has played 45 AFL games and should be smashing it at WAFL level. I think he is working hard with Hale to improve the contested marking side of his game as well as his rucking, and if he can sort these things out he will be a really handy guy to bring in.

At the moment I think he is a below average tall forward / ruckman but maybe the best we have fit unfortunately.

The guy is 199cm, has played 45 AFL games and should be smashing it at WAFL level.

He is a tall forward and they are only as good as the delivery from the midfielders, so to have the 2nd most goals in the WAFL when you have poor service (peel's midfield has been resoundingly beaten), that is smashing it.

He is a tall forward and they are only as good as the delivery from the midfielders, so to have the 2nd most goals in the WAFL when you have poor service (peel's midfield has been resoundingly beaten), that is smashing it.
To put poor delivery as an excuse is not a good indication. When the game is on the line in one of the match in wafl he kick 1:5 totally kill your midfielder spirit with grey , balic, croz playing in that match . Peel mid only get smash when Griffin come in to further slow down the team . Is hard to support peel now but I still go and watch them play hoping one or two tall playing reserve.
Peel best 22 that are slow
1) Dawson
2) Griffin
3) tab
4) sean Darcy
5) strnadica
6) collins ( decent or average speed but playing with the above slow him down)

Peel local can only cover the ground ball as much as they can .

Last edited:
Nah I agree with the others and think you have to watch Tabs live to understand his issues fully. Looking at his stats doesn't give you a clear picture. Just like guys that can rack up 30+ disposals - sometimes their impact can be far less than another player who has half as many.

I don't know anyone that watches Peel that is keen on Tabs coming in to Freo's B22 yet. But having said that I and most of them haven't crossed him out as being part of the future. He has some good great tools at his disposal, if only he could fill the gaps in his game.

Don't want to get into a pointless argument, and I do think Tabs has potential, but I have to respectfully disagree. I'm not sure where you get that the delivery has been poor. Do you go and watch the games, because I have watched several and the delivery has often been fine but he has dropped marks which he should have taken. This is against WAFL level defenders, and for mine he is not smashing it - he is adequate. Personal opinion, and I'll leave it at that.

Round 1 - 1 goal
Round 2 - 5 goals
Round 3 - 1 goal
Round 4 - 4 goals
Round 5 - 3 goals

I'm sure he has the body strength,I think I may have read he's the club's best bench-press, just naive and doesn't use it.Hale will keep working with him and if Mongrel injections are in compliance with the AFL,ASADA,WADA codes a couple of them before the game will help.
He's depth and with Kersten and McCarthy developing individually and as a pairing, Tabs will need to improve more than he had to before their arrival.
He's a bit too honest/nice guy...Essentially there's a bit to work with but at the minute he's at Peel until he boots the door off its hinges.

Tab is serviceable player , the door temporary close, but when open I hope he grab the opportunity not only mark it but kick goal in crucial moment .

Don't want to get into a pointless argument, and I do think Tabs has potential, but I have to respectfully disagree. I'm not sure where you get that the delivery has been poor. Do you go and watch the games, because I have watched several and the delivery has often been fine but he has dropped marks which he should have taken. This is against WAFL level defenders, and for mine he is not smashing it - he is adequate. Personal opinion, and I'll leave it at that.

Round 1 - 1 goal
Round 2 - 5 goals
Round 3 - 1 goal
Round 4 - 4 goals
Round 5 - 3 goals
if he did that at AFL level, that would be good

if he did that at AFL level, that would be good
Not if freo lost thought, he will be a whipping boy if he don't perform when selected. When you look at wafl game the match peel win with tab playing is easy opponent like east Perth and east freo who is bottom of the table.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Tabs 14.10 (2.8 average) at WAFL is inadequate, that is fine.

But the best we are getting at AFL is 1.2 goal average from our leading goalkickers in Mundy (6.3), Neale (6.3) and McCarthy (6.10). I'll pay you the points on Tabs being Inadequate, but he comes out of the same systems in the club that train our other forwards.

In the league totals, Betts leads with 19 goals compared to our best being 6, our best forwards goal tallies put them at an equal 53rd in the competition for leading goal kicker. Tabs is inadequate but on that measure, our other AFL forwards are woeful.

If Tabs 14.10 (2.8 average) at WAFL is inadequate, that is fine.

But the best we are getting at AFL is 1.2 goal average from our leading goalkickers in Mundy (6.3), Neale (6.3) and McCarthy (6.10). I'll pay you the points on Tabs being Inadequate, but he comes out of the same systems in the club that train our other forwards.

In the league totals, Betts leads with 19 goals compared to our best being 6, our best forwards goal tallies put them at an equal 53rd in the competition for leading goal kicker. Tabs is inadequate but on that measure, our other AFL forwards are woeful.
OK play him , just don't send him back to peel ever again is now or never ( delisted) ,without s.hill delivery will there be another excuse if he can't mark. I rather play him against essendon , if freo not doing well vs eagles tab will get whip .

Last edited:
I think it's a fair criticism. From the Peel games that I have watched, Tabs really struggles to impose himself on the game early and seems to come into his own in the second half. I think this is because he doesn't have enough speed to get separation from his defender and doesn't have the core strength to win in a body on body contest. As the game wears on and his defender tires he is able to get separation and is able to hold his marks.

I agree with meima that we need to see him winning one on one contests right from the start of the game - quite often Peel are well behind before Tabs really starts to get into the game. It's not just about the delivery, it's about his ability to soften his hands and take the ball at its highest point.

The guy is 199cm, has played 45 AFL games and should be smashing it at WAFL level. I think he is working hard with Hale to improve the contested marking side of his game as well as his rucking, and if he can sort these things out he will be a really handy guy to bring in.

At the moment I think he is a below average tall forward / ruckman but maybe the best we have fit unfortunately.

Sorry disagree. The idea that Tabs lacks speed and core strength and therefore is able to work into games is pretty odd.

I have been to 4 of the games and Peel have been getting smacked in the midfield from what I've seen, seemingly worse when Grif is on the ball.

I would like to see Tabs take more contested marks, but I think you guys are pretty unfair on him. He has been good and if not for round 3 poor kicking would be leading WAFL goalkicker.

I reckon it wouldn't matter what he did with some of you blokes.

Sorry disagree. The idea that Tabs lacks speed and core strength and therefore is able to work into games is pretty odd.

I have been to 4 of the games and Peel have been getting smacked in the midfield from what I've seen, seemingly worse when Grif is on the ball.

I would like to see Tabs take more contested marks, but I think you guys are pretty unfair on him. He has been good and if not for round 3 poor kicking would be leading WAFL goalkicker.

Get him in , he will be under a lot of pressure that is for sure and will be notice if the team is not winning after freo getting three win , he will be the first to go back to peel . I am more than happy for his inclusion .there is no more excuses if peel win without tab.

* if apeness available no way peel will win with all the giant slow tall playing vs east Perth .

Last edited:

Tend to agree. His tendency to drop the odd easy mark has made him a whipping boy, and people are just inventing things they don't like about him, such as calling him slow (he's not) etc.

I actually want Tabs to succeed but I think he doesn't have many chances left to impress at AFL level. So I think it is in his best interests that he only comes in when the coaches are comfortable he is ticking all the boxes they want from him. Kicking some goals in WAFL isn't the only KPI they'd be looking at because we all know some guys will kill it in the WAFL but will never make it as AFL players. It seems clear to me that he still has some work to do - but it's only round 5. Would much rather see him come in later and play a couple of great games than come in too early, lose confidence and be dropped again.

Would much rather see him come in later and play a couple of great games than come in too early, lose confidence and be dropped again.
Totally agree, especially now freo forward line look dangerous with mid pushing forward and unpredictable. if tab going to play for freo please release logue back to peel . ;) sherriden, ibbo ,spurr is a bit boring .

Get him in , he will be under a lot of pressure that is for sure and will be notice if the team is not winning after freo getting three win , he will be the first to go back to peel . I am more than happy for his inclusion .there is no more excuses if peel win without tab.

* if apeness available no way peel will win with all the giant slow tall playing vs east Perth .
With respect Peel is a very very distant 2nd in importance and if Freo decide that getting games into their lumbering tall timber at the cost of Peels season then there wouldn't be a 2nd thought to do so.

With respect Peel is a very very distant 2nd in importance and if Freo decide that getting games into their lumbering tall timber at the cost of Peels season then there wouldn't be a 2nd thought to do so.

Yes...and this is the problem with the alignment model and why both Peel and East Perth are unhappy with it.

You are really short sighted, if your development players keep losing game they won't have a winning mentality. There will be no more Blakely , langdon, grey type able to be promote or give good backup . Look at eagles , their alignment with East Perth is so bad that eventually affect them when their key players injured.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back