List Mgmt. Ross Lyon - Sacked

Is Ross still the man for the job?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Depth is important though.

We need to be replacing Dawson, Pearce possibly Ibbo, Griffen, Ballas as well as those 3 in probably this year, maybe next year. We also have a few perennially injured types in Clarke, Bennell, Apeness and hate to add his name to the list, but Alex Pearce, that may get up or may retire due to injuries.

At the least, it's a lot of turnover and at it's worse it's a mind blowing turnover of the list (on top of the previous year). I admit, I am probably just being a bit of a nervous Nellie about it all.

I totally agree except there is no evidence to suggest A Pearce will have to retire

I'd rather he start fresh next year

Depth is important though.

We need to be replacing Dawson, Pearce possibly Ibbo, Griffen, Ballas as well as those 3 in probably this year, maybe next year. We also have a few perennially injured types in Clarke, Bennell, Apeness and hate to add his name to the list, but Alex Pearce, that may get up or may retire due to injuries.

At the least, it's a lot of turnover and at it's worse it's a mind blowing turnover of the list (on top of the previous year). I admit, I am probably just being a bit of a nervous Nellie about it all.

No doubt, but Fyfe, Hill, Neale, Walters, McCarthy aren't going anywhere for at least 5 years. Hamling, Kersten, Hill were very good trades. Kersten may not have been what we consider awesome, but he fills a need, cost little and is young.

Weller, Langdon, Blakely, Tucker all have bright futures.

Crozier, Sutcliffe, Sheridan are the next crop, but can serve a need.

That's 15 players there without including Apeness, Alex Pearce, Logue and probably a few I've forgotten off the top of my head.

I think we can be top 4-6 in a few years but we're all going to be chasing GWS for years to come.

No doubt, but Fyfe, Hill, Neale, Walters, McCarthy aren't going anywhere for at least 5 years. Hamling, Kersten, Hill were very good trades. Kersten may not have been what we consider awesome, but he fills a need, cost little and is young.

Weller, Langdon, Blakely, Tucker all have bright futures.

Crozier, Sutcliffe, Sheridan are the next crop, but can serve a need.

That's 15 players there without including Apeness, Alex Pearce, Logue and probably a few I've forgotten off the top of my head.

I think we can be top 4-6 in a few years but we're all going to be chasing GWS for years to come.

We would be helped a tone if we can get a bit lucky with those last three you mention. Apeness and AP could be quality players, in AP's case probably A grade, in important positions if they can come good injury wise. Fact is that there are question marks over both as we stand. Logue for different reasons (basically he's raw) is the same.

We've had Ross with us for a while now, we can certainly see that his system introduces players to quality AFL level environment. Players like Neale have been able to thrive and others have come close to making it (e.g. Croz and maybe Grey looks like he's going to crack it). I'm looking at Blakely and thinking, though slightly different player, he is tracking as Neale has. Balic has a chance to do similar because we know there's some raw talent there and a work ethic to back it up. With that in mind, I reckon we can cover the midfield over the next few years with a combination of system and these and other names maturing into the top flight ... but the KPP and Ruck depth is a question mark still unfortunately.

This from Mundy is interesting and aligns with Ross's presser.. simplified messages allows players to use their instincts better without overthinking.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-04-24/heartstoppers-fuelling-freos-belief-mundy

"We've certainly simplified what we've been speaking about Monday to Friday and how we review and our key points leading into games," Mundy said.

"I think that's really refreshing, especially for the age demographic we have at the club.

"It's really allowing our young guys to have simple focuses going into games and playing on instinct and not thinking too much.

"It may make it sound quite stupid, but it's really beneficial in making split-second decisions out there."

This from Mundy is interesting and aligns with Ross's presser.. simplified messages allows players to use their instincts better without overthinking.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-04-24/heartstoppers-fuelling-freos-belief-mundy

"We've certainly simplified what we've been speaking about Monday to Friday and how we review and our key points leading into games," Mundy said.

"I think that's really refreshing, especially for the age demographic we have at the club.

"It's really allowing our young guys to have simple focuses going into games and playing on instinct and not thinking too much.

"It may make it sound quite stupid, but it's really beneficial in making split-second decisions out there."

I don't like that word belief. You get belief from delivering. Belief is just a feeling.
Wait...no that's confidence, belief is fine.

Wasn't sure where to post this but just a random thought. Dogs v Giants is a nice representation of us right now. Belief v Talent. As we all know, you need both. Lose a few more and we scoop up some more talent but at what cost? Grab those kids and what are we instilling?
I reckon our balance right now, regardless of the result tomorrow, is pretty great :)

IMG_4824.JPG

Wasn't sure where to post this but just a random thought. Dogs v Giants is a nice representation of us right now. Belief v Talent. As we all know, you need both. Lose a few more and we scoop up some more talent but at what cost? Grab those kids and what are we instilling?
I reckon our balance right now, regardless of the result tomorrow, is pretty great :)

As long the team win don't care what matter .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

http://thenewdaily.com.au/sport/sport-focus/2017/04/28/sports-psychology

Interesting article about sports psychology that has a passing quote from Ross. The author talks about the problem with "open honest feedback sessions" which from memory is an idea Leading Teams propagates. I hope we have dropped this crap (Leading Teams) which has always seemed like woo.

Ross clearly puts a lot of work into his leadership and people management. Sure, he talks like a politician at times and relies too heavily on a set of stock phrases, but he also has the manner of someone who isn't blinded by his own ego when seeking best performance.
I found the article's dismissal of angry, bottle-throwing alpha males a bit simplistic though - Clarkson, the ultimate angry man, clearly has strong management skills and is the best regarded coach around.

http://thenewdaily.com.au/sport/sport-focus/2017/04/28/sports-psychology

Interesting article about sports psychology that has a passing quote from Ross. The author talks about the problem with "open honest feedback sessions" which from memory is an idea Leading Teams propagates. I hope we have dropped this crap (Leading Teams) which has always seemed like woo.
C'mon think a little bit deeper. The writer takes one snippet (out of context) of what Ross Lyon has said in a presser just to garner some interest in their article. What Ross says in a presser and what actually happens behind closed doors are unlikely to be the exact same thing. It's over simplifying to say people don't appreciate open honest direct feedback. I've worked with many different companies and overwhelmingly the staff complain about not getting enough honest feedback. But people also come in all shapes and sizes and may react differently to different performance mechanisms. There is no magic bullet that everyone is going to be satisfied with. Everything I've seen shows a pretty good mutual respect between Ross and his players - you just don't get that if you are either too much a dictator or provide too little direction.

Well I did say it was a passing reference, I wasn't having a go at Ross. I don't think the article was suggesting that feedback was a bad thing more that aggressive confrontational feedback sessions can be counterproductive with some players. That the resultant feedback can become less useful because people become scared of saying the wrong thing.

Ross, please just develop a forward structure.

If you give our midfielders targets to kick to (not just Walters in a 1 on 3), we'll win games.

Either he was outcoached last night, or our players just weren't working hard enough. There were outnumbers everywhere, both forward and back.

They didn't seem to be running hard enough. The Eagles 'web' is potent on the narrow ground. Pity it's the last season it'll be used. You can run around it on the MCG.

Gee talk about obsessed :$

Fremantle_Ross_Lyon_Page_41_Big_Footy_AFL_Forum.png

Gee talk about obsessed :$

Fremantle_Ross_Lyon_Page_41_Big_Footy_AFL_Forum.png

It really shits me that the Lyon thread is basically a Freo megathread. Anything positive or worthy of its own thread just gets chucked in there to fester along with all the vitriol and bitterness. All things Freo on the MB go there and immediately become tainted. Lyon threads have always been toxic.

Back