Richmond hate explained?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Humility goes a long way. You've beaten an injury depleted Melbourne. And beaten Carlton, Brisbane and Collingwood and West Coast who struggle at the MCG. Nothing to write home about yet according to your supporters you are going to win the GF.
"Injury depleted" is a first gamer who wont get another game and a guy only playing because hes 200cm. Dees in more trouble than I ever imagined.

I'll explain it. Richmond have been the footy comic relief for 2 decades. Everyone loved laughing at your expense. All those years of finishing 9th and then to finally make the finals only to bomb out in the first week. It was real life slapstick comedy. We just don't want that to end. So if you guys actually become good, then who else do we laugh at?

This is not a dig. It's my honest assessment.

I actually admire the way Richmond supporters have stuck by their team.
Given their lack of recent success to have the membership they have is amazing.

Also I don't think Richmond is hated by the general AFL populace, more by supporters from their traditional rivals.

However I also think their is some amusement/bemusement at the emotional highs/lows expressed by Richmond fans and their equilibrium swings are probably only threatened by North Melb supporters (or at least those NM posters on BF).

Not many expected you to win against WC and Dees, and really you were lucky to beat both. MCG aside, WC kicked themselves out of it with more scoring shots than Richmond. Dees lost two big men, which created the elements required for the comeback, without those injuries, Demons would probably have won by 6-8 goals. As others have pointed out, Richmond fans getting massively ahead of themselves is probably behind a general lack of sympathy.
We kicked 12.16, if we'd kicked straight we'd have won by 6 goals. And before you say bad kicking is bad football, did you make the shots on goal excuse for Collingwood and West Coast when we (as underdogs) beat them?
All I'm hearing is excuses for the teams we've beaten, 'young team' 'should've put it away early' 'can't travel' 'tigers should've won by more' 'had injuries'. We mightn't be contenders but bloody hell, a bit of credit wouldn't go astray.

Hate? It will be a Bulldogs-level lovefest for Richmond from the neutrals when they break their grand final drought.

Lol yeah that ain't happening so we are all safe as houses.

Adelaide will beat them by minimum 10 goals next week and may want to make a point and do it by 15 goals.

We kicked 12.16, if we'd kicked straight we'd have won by 6 goals. And before you say bad kicking is bad football, did you make the shots on goal excuse for Collingwood and West Coast when we (as underdogs) beat them?
All I'm hearing is excuses for the teams we've beaten, 'young team' 'should've put it away early' 'can't travel' 'tigers should've won by more' 'had injuries'. We mightn't be contenders but bloody hell, a bit of credit wouldn't go astray.

You have had a dream draw but played very well against other bottom half teams.

Your draw may allow you to sneak into the 8 without beating a contender at all this year but I think most rational fans think the Tigers are siting ducks if they make finals and would be swept aside by a decent team in September.

But credit to the Tigs for winning all games so far and to do it with an average coach is a fair effort

I dare anyone saying we haven't beaten anyone to post their ladder predictions from preseason. I guarantee at least 2 of the sides we have beaten a majority had finishing higher than us, and more likely 3 of them. We got ahead of ourselves? Maybe people overrated other teams and or underrated us.

We have beaten sides we have struggled to beat recently in the Pies, Dees and West Coast.

We could easily been 2-3.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dare anyone saying we haven't beaten anyone to post their ladder predictions from preseason. I guarantee at least 2 of the sides we have beaten a majority had finishing higher than us, and more likely 3 of them. We got ahead of ourselves? Maybe people overrated other teams and or underrated us.

We have beaten sides we have struggled to beat recently in the Pies, Dees and West Coast.

I had the West Coast above you and that's it I think.

I am yet to see any Richmond poster state how awesome we are and we're going to win the flag. In fact I think we all realise at 5-0 that we'll be lucky to make the 8. We can't really help if the fake supporters like the Mario's from Doncaster call up talk back and purposely raze up the masses. Our next 4 weeks is tough... Won't be surprised if we're 5-4 or 6-3...Adelaide will take us raw.

Regardless... I'm enjoying the ride, most years it only lasts 22 weeks and a 5-0 start is something that all supporters would and should enjoy.

Were you around in the 1970s?
Richmond people made Carlton supporters look modest by comparison.

And the 70s were a bit over 40 years ago mate, get over it. The vast majority of Tiger supporters aren't arrogant about the team or the wins, they just get pumped up the media for some bizarre reason. But go ahead keep living in the past.

I think you need to stop worrying about preseason ladder predictions. These consensus opinions are often wrong. You only need to go back prior to 2016 to see people tipping Richmond to make the 8 to see that.

Why you think people's analysis should be based on where some people predicted teams to finish during the off-season is rather bemusing to me.

You have had a dream draw but played very well against other bottom half teams.

Your draw may allow you to sneak into the 8 without beating a contender at all this year but I think most rational fans think the Tigers are siting ducks if they make finals and would be swept aside by a decent team in September.

But credit to the Tigs for winning all games so far and to do it with an average coach is a fair effort

Dream draw hey? 2015 bulldogs sounds familiar. Absolutely carried into the 8. Won the flag the following year. I like the way we're trending. :D

I'll explain it. Richmond have been the footy comic relief for 2 decades. Everyone loved laughing at your expense. All those years of finishing 9th and then to finally make the finals only to bomb out in the first week. It was real life slapstick comedy. We just don't want that to end. So if you guys actually become good, then who else do we laugh at?

This is not a dig. It's my honest assessment.

Fair call... Pretty much bang on. North Melbourne are quickly picking up the slack this year on the jokes though.

They are probably going to smash us though. They're very, very good and I don't think we've got the sort of 4 quarter effort required unless they have an off game

No disrespect at the moment they would touch anyone up over there.

Tigs just need to keep winning "the games they should" and after a 5-0 start should make September.

Personally don't think they can and will win a final but the more important thing may be showing Dusty there is some hope and he stays.

At present I have him leaving but I do hope You can keep him he is a bloody beast id love him at dogs

I think we will lose next week. We will do well to get within 5 goals I reckon.

I just laugh at tghis whole Richmond shpporters guaranteeing finals and/or grand final. The worst I have come across is fans saying another 7 wins should guarantee finals at this rate. And that is fair I reckon.

It's mainly the media and opposition who have punped us up and they do it so when we have a down patch and we will, they will sink the boots in harder.

Am I happy to be 5-0? Yes. Who wouldn't be? Do we still have work to do? Hell yes. Tonight showed us our midfield is inconsistent and our forward structures struggle. All I can say is we are winning games we usually drop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back