Autopsy Post Mortem vs Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm pleased you were excited but also clearly unfulfilled . Your point of view however doesn't change the facts that defeats have been of our own making.
These are not facts, just your take on it.

And might sound like a novel concept but I have a sneaky suspicion the sides we lost to had something to do with it too.

They also had patches in games , St Kilda in the third, Essendon in the first quarter and a bit for example where their inaccuracy stopped them from burying us.

Well l agree with David King, calling for Bucks to be removed. King has suggested, and l think alot will agree with him on here, that after 6 years coaching, all Collingwood have to show for it, a forward line that cannot score, and a defence struggling to defend. Surely Bucks knows the writing is on the wall.
Just waiting for Eddie and co to advise everyone that Bucks has the backing of the board.

Then we can rest easy knowing he is gone.

My biggest confusion is around Reid. We are not strong down back, that's clear, but we are not doing well in defense anyway, whilst we are losing games by having no real strong target forward at all. Why play Howe, Reid, Schade and Goldsack down back, when we have no strong forward and get murdered by quick fast short attackers anyway.

The other thing is, Dunn is a gun kick which we are lacking from defense. Then we can have fasolo and Elliot be the crumbing players they should be rather than our key forward targets.
Don't be confused mate, It's actually clear cut to just about anyone bar our coach.

Have had time to ponder and calm down. All 4 of our losses have been the same in that we've been excellent for short periods during the game but then mediocre during the other times. Our team is inconsistent week to week and within the 4 quarters of a game since 2012. Clearly Buckley cannot rectify this. For this reason he needs to go. Hurts to say this because he is a legend of the club, seems a great hard working guy and most of all I don't want all his haters to have the last laugh.

I don't doubt we have the talent but not the right mix of players and obviously a very flawed forward line. It amazed me to see Greenwood and Adams play most of the game forward. Both players are the last of the midfield group I would have playing forward especially in todays conditions. I wouldn't mind seeing Crocker come in for the Geelong game for Greenwood or Broomhead. Will provide something aerially and is generally a good finisher. One thing Ive noticed is that all our players get sucked to the ball. Doesn't matter if the ball is coming in long and high or the ball is on the ground. This allows the opposition to only need one handball out of the congestion and they are away. Bucks accused the Bulldogs and Saints of cherry picking (I assume he means leaving players forward of the ball) but it seems to be tactic that works against us and thus the easy goals.

Finish with some positives. I thought Phillips was pretty good today. Crisp played his best game for the season (not hard considering his early season form). They were up there with Howe, Wells, Treloar and Elliott as our better performers. We can expect and will get more output from Pendlebury, Adams (if in midfield), Grundy and Sidebottom in most games this season.

And if that's what it ends up being that's not a bad outcome. Gives us time to find a good replacement.

It realistically should be the only outcome unless we start seeing regular 60-100 point losses. Bucks keeps his dignity and finishes his contract but also does the right thing by the club in playing the youth.

Club then should have a thorough review of all departments and then do it's due diligence on the next coach by having an actual interview process.

I only had one eye on the game as I was trying to study for an exam but I'm sure glad I didn't go.

Buckley isn't to blame for everything, but there's so much that is under his control that isn't improving and I really can't see him turning it around.

These are not facts, just your take on it.

And might sound like a novel concept but I have a sneaky suspicion the sides we lost to had something to do with it too.

They also had patches in games , St Kilda in the third, Essendon in the first quarter and a bit for example where their inaccuracy stopped them from burying us.
The facts are that we've lost four games. The winning or loosing of games is the result of numerous factors - a sneeze or a fart could have changed the Sydney result. We can only however control what we do in a game and in each game we had the ball in our hands at the right times to win and we wasted it. I know many people want this to be Buckley's fault and as I've said in other posts, It's a coaches lot to carry the can for his players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What if we kicked straight? Or kicked as well as them, the game is tied, very close or we scrape over the line. Do you then all rip bucks apart as well? I was there, like most of you, thought structure was fine, got beaten one out down back 2-3 times, our kicking inside 50 was better but still lacking, and conversion atrocious. 60% vs 41% kicking accuracy, 43 vs 66 inside 50s. We were even across the board in statistics except those two. I seriously think with time and some adjustments moving forward we are 4-1 and not 1-4. Bucks can't go and kick the ruddy goals for these boys.

Seriously any AFL would be happy with 43-66, we just need to figure out s**t out going forward and we are there.

Please...I have been a Buckley supporter and defender for most of his tenure, but enough is enough. If one more person says we can't blame Buckley for the players' inability to kick goals or hit a teammate I will implode. This team is officially Buckley's team after six seasons. He has shaped and developed the product we have the joy of watching each week. Clarkson received endless accolades for his recruitment of elite kickers at Hawthorn. You can't have your cake and eat it. A coach is responsible for the skill level of his players and their ability to perform under pressure. If he is not then what the hell is he there for? He blamed the players for not following team plans-again, what does this say about Buckley as a coach? If we were five and zip like the Tiges, everyone would be praising Bucks. Why? According to some people, the coach has nothing to do with the way players perform their basic skills.

Doesn't take much to lose games, we are slightly off connecting and converting in the forward line. If we kicked close to our ability (citing back end of last year) even with glaringly obvious issues with the way we are playing we'd be 5-0 or 4-1
If the other teams played better than they actually did, we could also be 0-5 with a worse percentage.

A lot of ifs the last few years with this club. Too many excuses for our shitness.

The facts are that we've lost four games. The winning or loosing of games is the result of numerous factors - a sneeze or a fart could have changed the Sydney result. We can only however control what we do in a game and in each game we had the ball in our hands at the right times to win and we wasted it. I know many people want this to be Buckley's fault and as I've said in other posts, It's a coaches lot to carry the can for his players.
Especially when this team is his rebuild, so he is responsible for picking them to play for him. If their skill level is poor, it rests with him!

Please...I have been a Buckley supporter and defender for most of his tenure, but enough is enough. If one more person says we can't blame Buckley for the players' inability to kick goals or hit a teammate I will implode. This team is officially Buckley's team after six seasons. He has shaped and developed the product we have the joy of watching each week. Clarkson received endless accolades for his recruitment of elite kickers at Hawthorn. You can't have your cake and eat it. A coach is responsible for the skill level of his players and their ability to perform under pressure. If he is not then what the hell is he there for? He blamed the players for not following team plans-again, what does this say about Buckley as a coach? If we were five and zip like the Tiges, everyone would be praising Bucks. Why? According to some people, the coach has nothing to do with the way players perform their basic skills.

You "can't blame Buckley for the players' inability to kick goals or hit a teammate". Is an implosion quieter than a Super Nova? Not that I've heard a Super Nova or seen an impolsion for that matter. Nice rant though.

If the other teams played better than they actually did, we could also be 0-5 with a worse percentage.

A lot of ifs the last few years with this club. Too many excuses for our shitness.
Difference is when you win the ball like we do and tackle as fiercely you take the opportunities away from the opposition.

My point is confidence is king, we are down on confidence and need some time to form team chemistry...

How true in Buckley's case.

They are his players now after he got rid of the ones not deemed worthy of being his players.
He molded the side to his liking.

And that's why I don't buy into "our players lack skills, don't understand the game plan" etc etc narrative for a second.

You "can't blame Buckley for the players' inability to kick goals or hit a teammate". Is an implosion quieter than a Super Nova? Not that I've heard a Super Nova or seen an impolsion for that matter. Nice rant though.
Any response other than to call my observations a "rant?" Touched a raw nerve did we?

Difference is when you win the ball like we do and tackle as fiercely you take the opportunities away from the opposition.

My point is confidence is king, we are down on confidence and need some time to form team chemistry...
Coool-take your time boys. Another season already down the tube five games in. Another long summer looming..fun times.

Calm down Mr T

I was joking.

Just trying to illustrate to everyone.. that you have every right to show any player whatever level of degree of respect you want.. regardless of whether they've played in a premiership or not.

One of the worst sayings on this board is 'hey he is a premiership player.. show him some respect'.

Can someone explain to me what our gameplan and structure is because for the life of me I cant see it.

We seem to have a barely functioning zone defence that is never set up correctly unless its after a centre bounce.

Whenever we get the ball we handball until we are under pressure then blindly snap it into the forward line with our eyes closed hoping for the best.

I see no system. When I watch other teams I know what they are doing even if it isnt working.

Our situation is more than a goalkicking issue. Our players try their guts out but because of a lack of structure and cohesion they get no reward.

We need a gameplan. We need one to suit our players.

Can't say I'd be too thrilled at the prospect of caretaker coach Robert Harvey. How this useless excuse for a coach still has a place at our club is an indictment on the powers that be. Has never been part of a successful club in his life. In fact, everywhere he goes failure follows and when he leaves things improve for said team.

Same thing for Rocca. I do not buy for a second that he'd get a gig at any other club in the league.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back