Autopsy Post Mortem vs Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Any response other than to call my observations a "rant?" Touched a raw nerve did we?
Not at all, just couldn't resist the temptation to repeat the phrase. I didn't really expect you to implode. Perhaps our definitions of Rant may vary, perhaps statement of views might be more moderate.

How true in Buckley's case.

They are his players now after he got rid of the ones not deemed worthy of being his players.
He molded the side to his liking.

And that's why I don't buy into "our players lack skills, don't understand the game plan" etc etc narrative for a second.
That of course is entirly your prerogative.

That of course is entirly your prerogative.
Indeed.

And just to make it clear I do understand the factors you mention play a part, just don't think they can be used as legitimate excuse.
Bucks was given green light, as inexplicable as it was, now he's got the side he wanted.

Unless Buckley walks I can not see him being sacked by ED before the year is out. Much like Shaw who was told he wont be renewed and to coach the year out as a development year and see what the list has by playing all the youth.

That would be the decent thing to do (if he was to be let go). I wouldn't think it would be right for the club to sack him now. We're better than that.

If he walks, it's different.

My biggest confusion is around Reid. We are not strong down back, that's clear, but we are not doing well in defense anyway, whilst we are losing games by having no real strong target forward at all. Why play Howe, Reid, Schade and Goldsack down back, when we have no strong forward and get murdered by quick fast short attackers anyway.

The other thing is, Dunn is a gun kick which we are lacking from defense. Then we can have fasolo and Elliot be the crumbing players they should be rather than our key forward targets.

My problem with Reid is that he is unfortunately no leader and that is something we desperately need in our backline.

Can't say he looked like much today up forward.

I think we need to be resigned to the fact that we make do with what we have on our forward line. It's now a matter of focusing on how we get those forwards working together and how quickly we can deliver it to them.

Bucks and Pendles......the cracks beginning to hit the public eye

I forgot one other positive.

I won my Supercoach cashy, though Pendles & WHE made it far closer than it should've been.
My apathy towards Collingwood has extended to footy in general, which of course includes Supercoach. I just checked in and the upside of not even updating or looking at my team this week meant no trades wasted, 6/6 league wins including the cashie, and a rise in the rankings. I should ignore it more often. Its a strategy which obviously can't be any worse than spending hours each week researching it. Maybe the Pies should adopt this policy. Stuff all the meetings and the blah, blah, blah. Just go out and play the game like it should be played ands see what happens. Can't be any worse.

My problem with Reid is that he is unfortunately no leader and that is something we desperately need in our backline.

Can't say he looked like much today up forward.

I think we need to be resigned to the fact that we make do with what we have on our forward line. It's now a matter of focusing on how we get those forwards working together and how quickly we can deliver it to them.

He was moved forward late in the game, he would've been spent, he's without doubt our best key forward, *, he's probably our only key forward.

What terrified me most at the press conference was Buckley openly conceding that the players don't listen to him and have gone against all they planned and discussed two weeks in a row. If a coach can't communicate his gameplan to his players then he should not be coach!!
Unless he drastically changed gameplan for the last two weeks and told them not to play the normal gameplan of slowing the play down by kicking sideways or backwards, then I can't understand how they haven't listened to him.

Stats are wonderful jackcass but we all watched that game.

Something is not gelling in our team and that is on the coach unfortunately.

If the Anzacday medalist today had kicked straight your stat would be irrelevant.

I'm not suggesting everything is rosey, but what we're copping from the playing group needs to be reflected in people's assessments. I willing to wear some of the blues being made by a few of the kids as they gain experience, especially those made by players taking the game on, but senior players habitually missing set shots from getable angles inside 40m is just wearing a bit thin.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I50's are misleading with our game style, 1 forward thrust can produce multiple i50's with the ball bouncing around 45-55 meters with no clean possessions

9 very getable set shots for 1 goal isn't misleading.

The minute it turned cold today I knew we were f***ed. We dont have the basic structure for dry weather football let alone wet weather football.

Our backline again kept us in it. And the fact Bucks keeps Tay and out best midfielders behind the ball id evidence he has no belief in us going forward.

This team is ducked without a new coach and it has to happen immediately.

He was moved forward late in the game, he would've been spent, he's without doubt our best key forward, ****, he's probably our only key forward.

I thought it was during the 3rd. Didn't have much impact up forward.

Agree it's fast approaching the time we 'wipe' the season and play some kids. Problem is all I hear from Bucks is that the players aren't fulfilling his game plan correctly. Aren't executing the structure etc. he's too stubborn to change. I don't think he 'gets' that his plan is half the issue. It stinks.

CMh9_zdWcAIU3dC.jpg:large

You were anti-Buckley last year.

I thought that Buckley should have been moved on last year, that is true. Once the decision was made by the club to allow him to coach out this year then I supported him, in the hope that with a decent injury run he could turn things around. I don't think that is contradictory behaviour. I have maintained all along that we must make finals this year for Buckley to be re-signed. Thats looking unlikely now.

But the tease was wrong. It's not fair to say that hindsight is wonderful when the hindsight matches the realists' predictions. It's separate from "hating Buckley". If Buckley can do it then I will suck it up and say I was wrong. But, the reverse needs to apply surely?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just because people want to brag that they were right about Buckley, (personally I think dancing on Buckley's grave is sick and disrespectful) doesn't mean those who showed faith and supported Buckley were wrong. While it hasn't worked there were enough signs there to show that it might. Footy is a game of inches, of what ifs and every year more sides fail than those who win/advance yet we don't see 10+ coaches sacked each year. Whether Buckley haters like it or not continued investment and faith from any club's board in their coaches, officials and players is essential and part of footy. It's just a matter of how much faith clubs are prepared to invest before pulling the cord; with Collingwood under Buckley teasing of more and an absence of a player revolt (see WB/McCartney, Bris/Voss) suggesting an overall player buy in I think we got the balance pretty right albeit maybe we went 1 year too long.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back