Welcome Shane Kersten - Welcome to Freo!

Remove this Banner Ad

After watching the replay I thought Kersten was one of our best players against the Dees. Kicked 1 and was responsible for another 3-4 goals.

North have quite a tall backline. Will be interesting who goes to who.
I watched the 2nd half again last night. Sexy s**t. Agree with Kersto's game. What seems to be working well is the lack of a focal point. For years we just kicked to Pav or bombed it. Right now there is so much variety.

Despite Kersten not kicking bags each game he still stays involved and makes an impact the entire game. I'm not a Tab hater but Tab would always go missing after half time...

After two games he gets calls to be dropped by King. 3 games later and he delivers the killing blow to North.
Beautiful, isn't it?

He's never going to be a Coleman medalist, but he works his butt off, and plays his role well. He's getting better every game too!
I think he's doing pretty well for someone that hasn't played that much AFL level footy. He's more like a mature age recruit than an experienced trade.

Him and McCarthy are just building slowly. Remember he's come across to a new team and he's no superstar player like Franklin who can just change teams and win games off his own boot. He's a bits and pieces player, important cog in the machine like a Tom Lynch (Crows).

Him and McCarthy are just building slowly. Remember he's come across to a new team and he's no superstar player like Franklin who can just change teams and win games off his own boot. He's a bits and pieces player, important cog in the machine like a Tom Lynch (Crows).
Him and langdon just got the tendency to pop up at the right time .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The criticism by King et al. has been ridiculous. Shows how reactionary everyone in the footy media is.

He presents a target, can take a mark and has chipped in with goals in each of our 3 wins. If our mids actually start lowering their eyes more or at least kicking it to his and McCarthy's advantage, they'll be hit the scoreboard more often. From what I can remember he's been involved in plenty of assists too.

I'll take a slight drop in defensive pressure for a forward with the ability to put the ball through the big sticks when it counts.

The criticism by King et al. has been ridiculous. Shows how reactionary everyone in the footy media is.

He presents a target, can take a mark and has chipped in with goals in each of our 3 wins. If our mids actually start lowering their eyes more or at least kicking it to his and McCarthy's advantage, they'll be hit the scoreboard more often. From what I can remember he's been involved in plenty of assists too.

I'll take a slight drop in defensive pressure for a forward with the ability to put the ball through the big sticks when it counts.
To be fair to King, he had a crap first 2 games. He's picked it up though.

To be fair to King, he had a crap first 2 games. He's picked it up though.

Seemed to be a point in the third quarter against us where he started to click and has gone on with it since.

Have taken a fairly keen interest in his development after playing a couple of games against him in juniors. Works well in conjunction with other forwards which is a strength that not many young KPF's possess and bodes well for a long term partnership with McCarthy. Don't know if we'll see many dominant games from him at AFL level, but can see him being reliable for a couple of goals a game and consistently providing attack on the football with his willingness to chase, pressure and tackle.

After that goal it's probably time to take the 'associate of Joel Hamling' gaff out of my signature - I wrote it when I had originally picked Shane Yarran who was let go, Kersten was the only player left with no buddies attached.

I'll never doubt you again big fella!

To be fair to King, he had a crap first 2 games.
True but he said to put a complete line through him to never play again for Freo, not just dropped or whatever. Which is ridiculous when there was a heap of other spuds he could have put on the list.

He still could not make it but you have to give a bloke a go.

Surpassing my expectations and he's barely got going. Really smart player who makes good things happen. Don't know he's the kind to kick a bag but the forward line is a million times better with him and Cam running around; guys who know how to play footy.

Totally agree.

In the last three games: he's taken the screamer against the Doggies; got the first against Melbourne (with a delightful kick following a strong mark); taken the one handed mark against North to set up Langdon's first; kicked the winning goal against North (having started the move with a really strong mark in the last minute of Q4). Not going to be a world beater, but in just those four plays he's already got a better highlight reel than Mayne did if you combine 2015 and 2016.

If Ballas can come back and show some of the form he did in the JLT (I thought he was in our top 3-4 performers pre-season), and assuming one of Mundy/Fyfe are always rotating into the forward line, then we have a mobile front six that presents lots of different problems (just need to stop bombing it into the forward 50 - because we don't have the personnel to be on the receiving end).

True - but GWS are ******s to deal with and Hawthorn were chucking everyone out the door at bargain basement prices.

edit: W*nk*r is on the swear list?? Pretty tame IMO. :huh:
GWS played politics and Tough Man tony Abbott tactics on us and it Backfired on their budgie smugglers. Hawthorn on the other hand.... were smart. Brad Hill had a year to go on his contract. They knew that he wanted to play alongside his brother and he got his flags too. Hawks were going to get unders. But At least Brad Hill didn't to a mitch Clark or a Kurt tippet: Nominate for one club then change their mind and go to another club for the money.

But back on the topic..... Kersten is slowly winning me over. He isn't going to kick a back of 6 goals in a game. But if its a close game, and he kicks 2-3 goals and Freo win by under 15 points or less, you know he isn't a difference maker even if he doesn't do a lot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back