Mighty P

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 25, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Roys FFC, Lakers
Didn't see a thread for Prey so thought I'd put one up now that the demo is out.

Downloaded demo today and omg I'm really enjoying this; narrative seems just right, gameplay is good (although melee feels a little off), but I'm hoping they can improve the rough edges before it releases.

Anybody else played the demo yet? Thoughts?

bulletride

Club Legend
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Downloaded the demo yesterday but haven't had a chance to try it yet, looking forward to having a crack tonight. I'm reluctant to pick this up at launch; I'm expecting a quick price drop after seeing how quick Dishonored 2 hit the $20 mark.

Mighty P

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 25, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Roys FFC, Lakers
Downloaded the demo yesterday but haven't had a chance to try it yet, looking forward to having a crack tonight. I'm reluctant to pick this up at launch; I'm expecting a quick price drop after seeing how quick Dishonored 2 hit the $20 mark.

Yeah you might be right, a lot of similarities to Dishonored, graphically and aesthetically.

Even so, it's managed to draw me in. But as you say, might wait for price drop.

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Got the demo downloaded and will give it a crack later tonight. At first I was worried it might be 2spooky4me but everything I've seen looks awesome and chucked an order on it anyway. I asked a guy who played the game a little while ago if it's creepy and he said it's tense at times but the biggest frights are enemies disguised as common item pick ups.

Mighty P

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 25, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Roys FFC, Lakers
Got the demo downloaded and will give it a crack later tonight. At first I was worried it might be 2spooky4me but everything I've seen looks awesome and chucked an order on it anyway. I asked a guy who played the game a little while ago if it's creepy and he said it's tense at times but the biggest frights are enemies disguised as common item pick ups.

Haha yeah, some enemies just metamorph from pick-ups, others are walking around....the walking around ones are tougher, in the demo at least.

The smaller enemies are a bastard to kill cos they move quickly, game really needs a lock-on button.

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Haha yeah, some enemies just metamorph from pick-ups, others are walking around....the walking around ones are tougher, in the demo at least.

The smaller enemies are a bastard to kill cos they move quickly, game really needs a lock-on button.

Just got up to the lobby. It's pretty tense but manageable. I'm so insecure I just bash everyone haha.

Never played System Shock so can't compare but damn is this like Bioshock. Art style, gameplay, complete with the Andrew Ryan type dude voice over/phone call.

Mighty P

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 25, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Roys FFC, Lakers
Just got up to the lobby. It's pretty tense but manageable. I'm so insecure I just bash everyone haha.

Never played System Shock so can't compare but damn is this like Bioshock. Art style, gameplay, complete with the Andrew Ryan type dude voice over/phone call.

Yeah, most comparisons leaning that way. I'm interested in seeing what other mechanics there are before I commit, but the demo has made me keen. The story has pulled me in well and good.

Dancing Potato

Premiership Player
Jul 7, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Jeez that's starting off cheap. Won't be surprised if it's down to $40 soon after release, kinda like Dishonored 2 was.

Still, i'd pay $59 to support Arkane, like them as a dev.

Exactly this. Would be a shame to see franchises like Dishonored and Prey go the way of Deus Ex due to poor sales and end up on hiatus.

The market is saturated with military shooters and Ubisoft copy and paste games.

KeilorUnder9s

Benclank01 Disciple
Nov 25, 2010
Jamestown
AFL Club
Richmond
I'm giving the demo a miss, the fact they released one means they are confident in it quality. I am hoping it's more System Shock 2 than Bioshock with a splash of Half-Life. I don't ask much...

Mighty P

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 25, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Roys FFC, Lakers
Out today and would love for some people to drop their hard earned cash and tell me if I should too :D

Patiently waiting for reviews to hit too.

I picked it up today, $59 only today at JB, going back to $79 tomorrow (that's what the guy told me anyway).

I really like it. The narrative has me hooked, gives good flashbacks and memories of Bioshock and Half Life.

I recommend it. The positives far outweigh the negatives imo. Grab it, especially if you want a good sci-fi action/shooter/thriller.

Mighty P

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 25, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Roys FFC, Lakers
Yeah, PC reviews seem to be good, and running well on a variety of specs. Good to hear.

On PS4 the input lag seems to have been fixed, combat feels smoother.

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Got side tracked last night so finally popped this in today. I really liked the demo and with the sound and control improvements (from PS4 demo anyway) this has gone to a new level. Bioshock in space is absolutely bang on for a description. Never played Systemshock which I've read this is a closer comparison to but without knowing any better you could swear this was by 2K and a successor to Bioshock.

Just some fun stuff about the intro:
Any other give aways it is a simulation? As I played the demo I already knew, so I threw the torch from the hallway in front of the elevator. After going to the 'roof' I was surprised it was still there and not cleared by the set staff. Imagine doing this on your first play through. Could do the same leaving items near the helicopter.

Tried climbing on top of the helicopter, was glad to be rewarded with my first trophy of the game but it prompted me to scan the trophy list. Platinum looks nuts at first glance but I think I might just ignore them and enjoy this one.

TheKanga

Brownlow Medallist
May 31, 2011
Hobart
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Melbourne City
Very interesting game so far

Just got up to the bit where its revealed you were already in orbit. That was a pretty cool moment.
Also i loved when you smash your apartment window and its just a film set

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Very interesting game so far

Just got up to the bit where its revealed you were already in orbit. That was a pretty cool moment.
Also i loved when you smash your apartment window and its just a film set

Since I already knew this I started checking the floors and stuff around walls that were hidden doors and you can see all the scuffs on the floor. Really cool touch if you know what to look for.

Aug 23, 2007
Bay 131 @ (Port) Adelaide Oval
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Magpies
Thought the demo was average (aiming felt janky) but watched a bit of Giant Bombs quick look and heard about the demo having control issues that needed to be patched so picked it up today.

Won't be able to give it a crack until i get home from footy tonight.

Back