Movie Rogue One: A Star Wars Story - Spoilers and Rumors

Watched it again last night, someone needs to make a version of it with the Asian guy and Forest Whitaker mostly edited out. The rest of it is still great though,

Why? Donnie Yen represents the people that still believed in the ways of the Jedi and the force. The whole arc is about the Jedi order being powerful, then almost non-existent, then being resurrected again after the death of the Emperor.

Forest Whitaker's character is mostly pointless, though.

Mar 13, 2015
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Why? Donnie Yen represents the people that still believed in the ways of the Jedi and the force. The whole arc is about the Jedi order being powerful, then almost non-existent, then being resurrected again after the death of the Emperor.

likewise, i won't hear a word against my man imwe..

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal

I don't mind the idea of the character for a movie with no Jedi but they made him too powerful and he just comes across as a bit of a flog for a lot of it. I don't think Saw Gerrera was pointless just badly done by a crap actor.

I don't mind the idea of the character for a movie with no Jedi but they made him too powerful and he just comes across as a bit of a flog for a lot of it. I don't think Saw Gerrera was pointless just badly done by a crap actor.

I thought it was a neat concept and a bit of comic relief too in an otherwise bleak movie.

But yeah they either needed to spend more time on the concept of Saw or just piss it off altogether. Didn't add much to the overall arc of the movie, I'm sure the plot could've been rejigged to exclude him and give another motivation for Jyn.

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal, New York Yankees
I liked the character, the concept of being a guardian etc. That was good to see, some more depth to the force as we know it.

But yes, it was ridiculous how he beat those troopers with a stick. And they lay there like they were dead. Stupid.

But yes, it was ridiculous how he beat those troopers with a stick. And they lay there like they were dead. Stupid.

It's Star Wars. You see storm troopers in every movie collapse with no apparent injury anywhere. Ewoks knocked many out with small rocks FFS.

I understand some who think the character is gimmicky or cheesy but using that as a criticism is bizarre.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
It's Star Wars. You see storm troopers in every movie collapse with no apparent injury anywhere. Ewoks knocked many out with small rocks FFS.

I understand some who think the character is gimmicky or cheesy but using that as a criticism is bizarre.
FWIW, ROTJ was also lame for that reason too.

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams

It's not bizarre at all, as I hold the same criticism of ROTJ for the gimmicky way in which troopers were killed.

It's not bizarre at all, as I hold the same criticism of ROTJ for the gimmicky way in which troopers were killed.

Then fair enough.

Oh! And also the blind guy walking slow-mo thru the freakin' battlefield, in a straight line, and not getting slaughtered by the hundreds of blaster fire going back and forth.

Jedi is a religion effectively and the movies are full of subtle and not-so-subtle religious overtones. That bit was all about faith in the force. Again, no problem with that and easy to reconcile.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Jedi is a religion effectively and the movies are full of subtle and not-so-subtle religious overtones. That bit was all about faith in the force. Again, no problem with that and easy to reconcile.
I'd be okay with the trench walk.....only if.....Edwards had removed the stick attack and the TIE fighter being shot down. But all three together was a huge :thumbsdown: for me. Ruined the movie. The only thing that saved the movie for me was the 2 seconds of Sad Vader looking out the bridge of his Destroyer.

Mar 13, 2015
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Oh! And also the blind guy walking slow-mo thru the freakin' battlefield, in a straight line, and not getting slaughtered by the hundreds of blaster fire going back and forth.

He was one with the force and the force was with him..

Definitely some lame battle moments in RO, but I still liked the film..

All made up for in the last scene :)

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
He was one with the force and the force was with him..

Definitely some lame battle moments in RO, but I still liked the film..

All made up for in the last scene :)

Yep, loved the film even tho the lame bits hurt its luster.

TFA = pleased
R1 = pleased
Hoping TLJ = much more than pleased, like bat-s**t insane with adoration

Mar 14, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
For those complaining about Chirrut Imwe, how is what he does any different to Luke blindly defending lasers wearing that helmet when he's first practicing with Obi-Wan? Except that he's much more experienced and in tune with the Force compared to Luke in his early stage. Makes perfect sense to me.

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
For those complaining about Chirrut Imwe, how is what he does any different to Luke blindly defending lasers wearing that helmet when he's first practicing with Obi-Wan? Except that he's much more experienced and in tune with the Force compared to Luke in his early stage. Makes perfect sense to me.

I see these as two completely different, distinct scenarios.

Luke embraced the force in order to feel where those lasers who strike next.

Donnie Yen killed storm troopers with a stick. Well the presumption is they're dead because they were motionless after, you'd think after being knocked down with a staff whilst wearing armour, one would survive. That's the issue I believe at hand, nothing to do with his abilities or knowledge of the force. Nothing to do with his character or background or any of that.

Simply, they took it too far by having him kill them. If he was using a lightsabre, a sword, or hell even a gun, then no problem. Those are weapons that can kill. But a staff, cmon now Disney that was a gimmick.

Back