Did Richmond make a mistake drafting (trading for) Dion Prestia?

Remove this Banner Ad

What is with these massive knee jerk reactions?

It's round 6. He's 24 years old. Has a good 5 years of footy ahead of him at the very least.

Judge it at the end of his career.

Very good footballer who is clearly a long way from his best at the moment. I wonder if he's just in terrible form or if there's an injury holding him back.

A fit and firing Prestia is worth every bit of what Richmond parted with to bring him across. I questioned whether Richmond were in the right position to give up what they did - and that's still a big question mark for me - but I'm not going to over-react to a slow start to the year. He'll come good.

On present form they obviously overpaid with giving up pick six, but it really is too early to make a call.

No they didn't, and the reason is him being there has released the pressure on Cotchin and Martin. It was a trade fractionally in GC's favour but not by a lot.

really think that prestia in the form that he was in while at the gold coast when healthy was a very good midfielder.

in the capacity that he's being used in at richmond so far, think they're better off with pick 6 and anthony miles, but long way to go.

On face value when comparing what else was on the market.

Dion Prestia for Pick 6 and a swap of 2nd round picks 2016/2017
Tom Mitchell for Pick 14 and a shuffle of late picks

Definitely overpaid.

Hopefully he comes good and proves the doubters wrong but i've never been a big fan of his, always been able to find the pill but never been damaging. Now he's not even finding the pill, and his disposal is extremely questionable.

Last edited:
Mistake - too early to call.
Overpaid? I'd say so.
Made it pretty clear for weeks before trade period they were going to land a big fish so went through with it along with a bit of chest beating.
Has never been a great user, slightly quicker than average and not tall.
To be arguably the highest paid or very close to it at Richmond seems pretty ridiculous at this stage.
Reckon they'd give him back for SPS!

Watched a lot of Prestia at the Gold Coast, and when fit a firing he was extremely high level. Not sure if he will recapture that form but a bit early to write him off yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond got Prestia and pick 24 given to them, Gold coast got pick 6 and a second round this year. Probably a pick around 36 I'd guess.

His ball use is really good, but does not have fitness at the moment.

No-one played well against Adelaide.

Its a pity they traded for Prestia we like trading with Richmond too... Hampson and Yarran being two standouts.

Please don't stop trading with us leave all other clubs alone. Remember you always want to rip us a new one and win in all trades.

I'm a Richmond supporter and I don't even post as much about Richmond as what you do.

Richmond got Prestia and pick 24 given to them, Gold coast got pick 6 and a second round this year. Probably a pick around 36 I'd guess.

His ball use is really good, but does not have fitness at the moment.

No-one played well against Adelaide.

You're certainly a glass half full guy if you think Richmond's second round pick will be 36.

On face value when comparing what else was on the market.

Dion Prestia for Pick 6
Tom Mitchell for Pick 14 and a shuffle of late picks

Definitely overpaid.

Hopefully he comes good and proves the doubters wrong but i've never been a big fan of his, always been able to find the pill but never been damaging. Now he's not even finding the pill, and his disposal is extremely questionable.
Nice story if it was true. Are you too lazy or stupid to find out what really happened?

No doubt Richmond would have been much better off keeping the picks for Prestia and Caddy. Hardwick wanted to win now though.

I doubt Richmond picked up Prestia because they thought he would be delivering the ball onto someone's chest inside 50 - as his kicking efficiency has always been iffy. They would've picked him up because he is a ball magnet in close and offers two-way run. Unfortunately for this type of player, they largely rely on fitness and that appears to be lacking... Understandably due to a long lay-off.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back