Sharapova fails drug test

Remove this Banner Ad

Good article, I am not a Sharapova fan but I agree she's good for tennis. She attracts publicity and sells.

No matter what your opinion is of Maria Sharapova, it’s hard to ignore that her comeback is a huge boost to the game—just one look at Wednesday’s sold-out crowd in Stuttgart confirmed that. After 15 months away, the Russian took out Roberta Vinci, 7-5, 6-3, on Wednesday night and then powered past Ekaterina Makarova, 7-5, 6-1, on Thursday.

“It’s a journey,” Sharapova said on Wednesday. “It starts today—actually it started for me a while ago—but officially today … I’m looking forward to playing as many matches as I can.”

Love her or hate her, the facts don’t lie. Sharapova was the highest-earning female athlete on the planet for 11 years, picking up million-dollar sponsorships and endorsements, winning five majors, reaching No. 1 and most importantly, amassing incredible popularity.

Former No. 1 Andy Roddick certainly believes that the wild cards are going to the right player.

“It seems a little naïve to me,” he said. “I have a hard time having people trying to play judge and jury after time has been served … Do I think she deserves a wild card? Sure. I think the wild card should go to the people who generate the most interest.”

http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2017...-stuttgart-comeback-french-open-serena/65707/

Last edited:
Good article, I am not Sharapova fan but I agree she's good for tennis. She attracts publicity and sells.

Yeah, there are people who are letting their emotions getting in the way of better judgement. As far as professional sports is concerned, $$$$$ is the priority and high-profile players generate $$$$$ and some people still can't get their heads around that.

I still don't agree with her getting a start in Stuttgart because she was clearly still suspended when the tournament began but since Porsche are the main sponsors (and Maria is their biggest client and even the stadium is named after Porsche :rolleyes:) and the WTA are just another soul-less sporting governing body they were always going to make sure she made it to the starting line, hence the lateness of her 1st match.

Anyway, it's over now and we'll see how she fares in her next tournament (Madrid?).

Yeah, add me to the people that have no problem with Sharapova getting wildcards into tournaments. I don't like her at all and never have (the shrieking mainly) but she has served her suspension and tournaments would have rocks in their head not to offer her wildcards, as Roddick says that's what they are for. I know some people think she should have been given a longer suspension but she wasn't so she's now eligible to play just like anyone else.

And, this is why Maria is important to the WTA the other top seeds are struggling:

The Bad WTA seeds keep on stuttering: There are no easy draws in tournaments, and nor should there be. But tricky draws aside, these are worrying times for three big names in the WTA. Agnieszka Radwanska can barely buy a win these days, the same can be said for Garbine Muguruza (who has a lot of points to defend at Roland Garros), and then there’s Angelique Kerber. Yes, she’s the WTA’s presumptive No.1, but the German has been patchy at best in 2017, and on current form it’s surely only a matter of time before that ranking starts to slide. -

The Ugly Bouchard’s misplaced missive: There are times in everyone’s life when someone needs to tell you to pipe down. That someone was obviously absent when Genie Bouchard went on a Maria Sharapova rant after another first round exit (this time in Istanbul). Whether or not you agree with Genie her opinions drew more criticism than they did support, and looked like a misguided attack from a player who is very obviously struggling for form – and to stay relevant on the tennis circuit. -

See more at: http://tennismash.com/2017/05/01/good-bad-ugly-rafas-10-genies-gaff/#sthash.d1PJmLqY.dpuf

And, this is why Maria is important to the WTA the other top seeds are struggling:

The Bad WTA seeds keep on stuttering: There are no easy draws in tournaments, and nor should there be. But tricky draws aside, these are worrying times for three big names in the WTA. Agnieszka Radwanska can barely buy a win these days, the same can be said for Garbine Muguruza (who has a lot of points to defend at Roland Garros), and then there’s Angelique Kerber. Yes, she’s the WTA’s presumptive No.1, but the German has been patchy at best in 2017, and on current form it’s surely only a matter of time before that ranking starts to slide. -
Hmm. I agree that Sharapova is good for the WTA but I don't really buy this argument.

Given the current state of the women's game, if Maria were to get back to or even near peak form, she would win a huge chunk of events. Is the competition better being unpredictable and even or dominated by one player? I'm not so sure the answer is the latter.

At any rate, the WTA needs the next generation of talent to finally step up, irrespective of what happens with Sharapova.

I don't agree with Sharapova getting wildcards like this. She should get wildcards for qualifying at the best. If you're a player and you see Maria getting WC coming back after drugs, it sucks.

I understand the marketing and business behind it which is fine but it also can be said like your punishment doesn't matter.

I understand the marketing and business behind it which is fine but it also can be said like your punishment doesn't matter.

What would help is if Maria showed some humility and remorse but she has shown it very sparingly (obviously not meaning it), instead choosing to play the victim. Also when the news first broke of Maria's failed drug test the outpouring of sympathy from some quarters like Nick Bollettieri, Tennis Australia, etc ... was quite pathetic. Also the exhibitions she played in while she was suspended gave the impression to the public that according to those involved with these matches that all was forgiven. All these send a terrible message.

All factors point to Maria being negligent at most. She stuffed up and copped a ban, if you look into her case she was always going to disagree with the decision (as anybody in her situation would). I really don't think she has to be apologetic for anything, and labelling her a drug cheat is pretty ignorant - even though she techincally is. Common sense tells you that she isn't a 'real cheater'. Bouchard seems extremely desperate for attention, which is a shame because all the signs pointed to her becoming one of the next WTA stars. Claiming Sharapova shouldn't be allowed to ever play again because she was using a drug that was allowed for decades is beyond stupid. This isn't absolving Maria from any blame, but I think it would be ridiculous to assume she decided to defy this new rule and continue to take a banned drug after being 'clean' her whole career.

All factors point to Maria being negligent at most. She stuffed up and copped a ban, if you look into her case she was always going to disagree with the decision (as anybody in her situation would). I really don't think she has to be apologetic for anything, and labelling her a drug cheat is pretty ignorant - even though she techincally is. Common sense tells you that she isn't a 'real cheater'. Bouchard seems extremely desperate for attention, which is a shame because all the signs pointed to her becoming one of the next WTA stars. Claiming Sharapova shouldn't be allowed to ever play again because she was using a drug that was allowed for decades is beyond stupid. This isn't absolving Maria from any blame, but I think it would be ridiculous to assume she decided to defy this new rule and continue to take a banned drug after being 'clean' her whole career.

Sorry this post isn't allowed on the internet it makes too much sense

But wildcards to a player returning from a doping ban is wrong. Wildcards into qualifying seem like the most reasonable option.

Well the FFT have decided NOT to grant Sharapova a WC for the French Open. Not even for Qualifying. Guess she can get an early start for her Wimbledon prep.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

She's not Top 200 as yet so they didn't have to give her a wildcard for the qualifiers.

I'm sure she'll be at Wimbledon.

It really isn't.

Have a look back at the French's stance on performance enhancing drugs. I'm not surprised they made the decision at all.

Yep they called out Lance from the start. Sharapova has direct entry to Wimbledon qualification I believe which gives the LTA a good out. Would have been interesting to see if they followed the French lead and denied even a qualifying wildcard for Wimbledon.

It really isn't.

Have a look back at the French's stance on performance enhancing drugs. I'm not surprised they made the decision at all.

Correct on PED stance but they have no issue with giving a WC to a player returning from suspension for illegal betting, i.e. Constant Lestienne, so when talking about "protecting the high standards of the game", the FFT jumped the shark in this regard. They should've just said "we felt other players were more deserving" and left it at that and as it happens, WTA CEO, Steve Simon got his whinge on with this:

2HMAz03.png

Correct on PED stance but they have no issue with giving a WC to a player returning from suspension for illegal betting, i.e. Constant Lestienne, so when talking about "protecting the high standards of the game", the FFT jumped the shark in this regard. They should've just said "we felt other players were more deserving" and left it at that and as it happens, WTA CEO, Steve Simon got his whinge on with this:

2HMAz03.png

Sounds to me like the flak they thought they would cop from giving Sharapova a wildcard outwieghed the financial benefits. In other words if they thought they could get away with it they would have given her one.

Rather shocked by no wild card..... love her or hate her she is a tennis legend. 5 time grand slam champion who was won all the 4 majors. The women's draw is now so open without Sharapova and Serena Williams. Not sure who will win now? Kerber is not in the same form as she was in 12 months ago, murgurza is struggling to win matches, plishkova is not a clay court player which my favourite will now go to Simona Halep, she loves the clay and won in Madrid last week and if she wins in Rome will be the hot favourite. Her biggest concern is her mental toughness and if she plays against a big hitting player she is in hot form which none at the moment are in good form. One player to watch out for is Svetlana Kuznestova who is ranked 8 in the world been consistent the year and loves the clay courts and has won at the French. Too bad Sam Stosur is not in the same form she was last year as she would be in a great position to win.

Watched the doco on Kayo "The Point"
Most docos on individuals you learn something more about the person or sportsperson but really underwhelming doco.
She does not seem very interesting person. She going to be bored after she finish tennis. Does not seem to have any other interests.
Guess this can happen to sports people when in their own little bubble.
Most boring sports doco I seen.

Watched Two Nations, One obsession yesterday. Far more interesting doco and people.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back