List Mgmt. Fyfe - Signed until 2023!!

Remove this Banner Ad

I like that Lyon pretty much said that if Fyfe leaves, it's his call and no fault of the clubs. Paraphrasing: no go home factor, he's closer to his family and friends in Perth, he's been made captain of the footy club, which is what he wanted, he loves the club and his teammates. Over to you, Nat.

It's been said by many, but one thing we do have up our sleeves is that Nat is already home rather than wanting to go home. Unless he's in the box of wanting to get away from the fishbowl of WA (which will certainly be not the case moving to the fish bowl of Melbourne), not really clear apart from $$$ what compelling reason he would have to move to St Kilda.

Unless it's to GWS, where a flag is only a matter of time, I reckon our chance at contending again is just as much as St Kilda, provided we keep our list together and their development continues to track.

What I find amusing is how the media are still rolling out this idea that Fyfe isn't liked by his team mates. You know the group of players that unanimously voted him in as Captain? Of course the tin foil hats will still claim it was rigged but has there been a single Freo player or anyone from the club that has even alluded to it? No.

This is from an article a few days ago:

What is known is this: Fyfe, who becomes a restricted free agent at the end of this season, has had a fraught relationship with some of his teammates, who in the past have seen him as a little aloof and inclined to spend more time with his helicopters than them. Since being handed the captaincy this year, he has worked hard at becoming more inclusive and team-oriented. It is also known that the Saints, initially under former list manager Chris Pelchen, have worked hard to clear space in their Total Player Payments cap for a monster play, exactly like this, and have been linked with Fyfe for several months.

"What is known"? Why? Because another moron in the media has similarly speculated for their own personal gain, so that makes it known? Just like a breakfast radio spud did with the done deal to St Kilda the other day?

Last edited:
Yeah but what has the defence been like that each team has faced?
Not sure that makes a difference. They currently have 3 Forwards who have kicked over 40 in a season, we have 1. I'd say it's a no contest when it comes to who's forward line is better. I think we've got their midfield covered but their forward line has us covered.

Yep and I'd say their forward line seems organised. With an appropriate plan/structure to score. Their conversion has been off which has hurt them this season. No doubt if they can get a Fyfe or Dusty it will propel them into the top 4. Whether they will be able to compete with Adelaide/GWS is another question though.

Yeah St Kilda's forward line is a lot better than ours as it stands. Not exactly surprising given our key forward has only played 27 AFL games, and pretty much everyone in it is brand new except Walters.

St Kilda is ok to good on all lines. We're elite throughout our midfield (at full strength) but below average in both our back line and forward line. Our current team is younger by about 1 year on average compared to theirs and also far more inexperienced. You could spin that to say we have more potential, or that they are a year ahead of us in their rebuild. We have some major gaps like not having having an A grade big key forward yet. St Kilda doesn't really have any super stars. Jack Steven is a great ball winner but has his kicking improved? I think I recall he had the worst kick rating of their team a couple of years ago.

I think both our lists are pretty average at this moment in time and both have too many questions marks about whether certain key players can improve to guarantee premiership contention anytime soon. I personally think we have more chance if the planets align (eg Bennell comes good and a couple of key trade options come through in the next couple of years) but I am biased.

What does that prove. Apart from Riewoldt who is on his last legs the rest of them are average. The forward with the most promise is McCarthy and he is ours. Why you have this fixation as a Freo supporter with the Saints is hard to follow.
Yeah St Kilda's forward line is a lot better than ours as it stands. Not exactly surprising given our key forward has only played 27 AFL games, and pretty much everyone in it is brand new except Walters.

St Kilda is ok to good on all lines. We're elite throughout our midfield (at full strength) but below average in both our back line and forward line. Our current team is younger by about 1 year on average compared to theirs and also far more inexperienced. You could spin that to say we have more potential, or that they are a year ahead of us in their rebuild. We have some major gaps like not having having an A grade big key forward yet. St Kilda doesn't really have any super stars. Jack Steven is a great ball winner but has his kicking improved? I think I recall he had the worst kick rating of their team a couple of years ago.

I think both our lists are pretty average at this moment in time and both have too many questions marks about whether certain key players can improve to guarantee premiership contention anytime soon. I personally think we have more chance if the planets align (eg Bennell comes good and a couple of key trade options come through in the next couple of years) but I am biased.

Apart from Riewoldt who is on his last legs and in retirement mode the rest of the Saints forward half are nothing to write home about. In actual fact the most promising forward in both line ups is McCarthy . Walters is a class act and if Bennell makes it the forward line suddenly becomes elite. The Saints to me are average, they were written up at the beginning of the season as the new beaut kids on the block. So far they have shown nothing, a middle of the road side with a very average midfield. If Fyfe went he would need to be a miracle worker to drag that lot into the top 4.

I am inclined to agree, an elite midfield is something you can work with. Being pretty good without being great is a recipe for another list hollowed out through finishing 10th to 6th for five/six years in a row and getting poor picks. The saints basically have to luck in a whole elite midfield whereas our gaps, outside a key target, can potentially be filled by role players or B graders.

What does that prove. Apart from Riewoldt who is on his last legs the rest of them are average. The forward with the most promise is McCarthy and he is ours. Why you have this fixation as a Freo supporter with the Saints is hard to follow
What does that prove? That there forward line is able to kick more goals. Pretty simple really. If Bruce and Membrey are average, what does that make kersten and McCarthy? Very average? Jade Gresham is having a better year then Walters and he looks like a very exciting prospect, mav Weller has played better then any of our half forwards. I don't have a fixation with St Kilda, you are just the most bias person on the whole website and you can't admit when your wrong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What does that prove? That there forward line is able to kick more goals. Pretty simple really. If Bruce and Membrey are average, what does that make kersten and McCarthy? Very average? Jade Gresham is having a better year then Walters and he looks like a very exciting prospect, mav Weller has played better then any of our half forwards. I don't have a fixation with St Kilda, you are just the most bias person on the whole website and you can't admit when your wrong.
How many seasons have their key forwards had together? I think our forward line may indeed be ordinary, but more to the point, it is unbalanced. It lacks a key focus, and has Walters out of form or injured.

Why would any RFA / FA take a 1.5 million dollar a season contract?

From an individual point of view you will be the highest paid player in the league. How does the team then afford to pay players to bring in the success required by that player?

Sydney is probably a good example of why you shouldn't tie up such a high % of you salary cap in 1-2 players (Buddy + Tippet).

Look at the players like Mumford and Mitchell who have been forced out due to salary cap pressure. If Fyfe stays I hope he stays at a contract amount that allows us to hold on to guys like Weller / Blakely / Balic / Taberner () when they become out and out guns.

Yes, getting paid is a big part of their AFL careers, but their post career earnings will surely be assisted by being part of a successful club.

How many seasons have their key forwards had together? I think our forward line may indeed be ordinary, but more to the point, it is unbalanced. It lacks a key focus, and has Walters out of form or injured.
It doesn't matter how long they've had together. I'm talking about right now. And right now they have a better forward line then us.

It doesn't matter how long they've had together. I'm talking about right now. And right now they have a better forward line then us.
Our best forward is Bennell, and he's injured. Remove their best forward, Riewoldt, and they'll be just as good as us. The best opposition defender gets their second best forward and his numbers drop and the chain reaction happens on and on like that. End result is they are just as good as us without Riewoldt, and Bennell may even make us better then them, if he ever gets on the field.

Our best forward is Bennell, and he's injured. Remove their best forward, Riewoldt, and they'll be just as good as us. The best opposition defender gets their second best forward and his numbers drop and the chain reaction happens on and on like that. End result is they are just as good as us without Riewoldt, and Bennell may even make us better then them, if he ever gets on the field.
Bennell? Who's that? Don't call him out best forward when he literally hasn't played a game of AFL for us..

Bennell? Who's that? Don't call him out best forward when he literally hasn't played a game of AFL for us..

You can however, based on his previous games, claim he would add a significant positive impact on our forward line. I agree with you that Sts have a better forward line but I reckon if Bennell/Apeness played all 22 games next year we'd be watching a significantly better forward line than this years.

You can however, based on his previous games, claim he would add a significant positive impact on our forward line. I agree with you that Sts have a better forward line but I reckon if Bennell/Apeness played all 22 games next year we'd be watching a significantly better forward line than this years.
I agree bennell would be a massive inclusion, but i dont think you can say apeness would make us better hes shown nothing but average performances (yes i know talls take time to come on), but kersten is well ahead of apeness at thid point in time imo.

There's no point adding a bennel to the freo team as it is, anymore than there's a point to subtracting a fyfe.

Our forward line is s**t and needs serious work...

McCarthy - future A-grader
Kersten - B-grade
Tabs - WAFL grade
Apeness - Injured/jury is still out
Walters - A-Grade
Ballantyne - Coming to the end
Crozier - Exciting but needs to be more consistent
Grey - B-grade
Bennell - Injured
Logue - He's a defender
Two A grade and a couple or three B graders is a terrific base. Especially when we role goal kicking midfielders through.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back