List Mgmt. Ross Lyon - Sacked

Is Ross still the man for the job?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Depth is important though.

We need to be replacing Dawson, Pearce possibly Ibbo, Griffen, Ballas as well as those 3 in probably this year, maybe next year. We also have a few perennially injured types in Clarke, Bennell, Apeness and hate to add his name to the list, but Alex Pearce, that may get up or may retire due to injuries.

At the least, it's a lot of turnover and at it's worse it's a mind blowing turnover of the list (on top of the previous year). I admit, I am probably just being a bit of a nervous Nellie about it all.

They obviously don't all work out, but lets say 5 spots open up this year we probably won't take 5 bottom aged players. The jury is still out on Luke Ryan but the club has shown they like to draft ready made 20-24 year olds like Barlow, Mzungu, Silvagni, Spurr, etc.

On form the 3 best 20-24 year olds in the country playing VFL/WAFL/SANFL offer more than Pearce, Dawson, Griffin.

It really shits me that the Lyon thread is basically a Freo megathread. Anything positive or worthy of its own thread just gets chucked in there to fester along with all the vitriol and bitterness. All things Freo on the MB go there and immediately become tainted. Lyon threads have always been toxic.
The MB has always just been Bay 13 lite, will never change so may as well just run with it. At least now with that Eagles flog not running the board everyone is equal. I counted up about 25 infractions and thread bans I got given from that clown and haven't got a single one from any other mod since he got boned about a year ago :rolleyes:

edit - Doesn't matter so much now with his WC buddy not in power anymore but Deflecto is also a massive report button snitch.

The MB has always just been Bay 13 lite, will never change so may as well just run with it. At least now with that Eagles flog not running the board everyone is equal. I counted up about 25 infractions and thread bans I got given from that clown and haven't got a single one from any other mod since he got boned about a year ago :rolleyes:

edit - Doesn't matter so much now with his WC buddy not in power anymore but Deflecto is also a massive report button snitch.
So... West Coast supporter MB umpires had an anti-Freo bias then? :)

Worrying he seems to blame the inexperienced and young players rather than the method of bombing it in to an out number to often and the lack of run and carry.

Can see a few young guys getting rested this weekend potentially, with Sutcliffe, Collins and Taberner a chance you'd think.

He also laughed off the Fyfe to Saints rumours but acknowledged he could head elsewhere at season's end but feels freo is leading the race.

Worrying he seems to blame the inexperienced and young players rather than the method of bombing it in to an out number to often and the lack of run and carry.

Can see a few young guys getting rested this weekend potentially, with Sutcliffe, Collins and Taberner a chance you'd think.

He also laughed off the Fyfe to Saints rumours but acknowledged he could head elsewhere at season's end but feels freo is leading the race.
I wouldn't read too much into it. This is what Blakely said which I think is spot on:

Blakely said the quality of Freo’s forward entries was a focus of their review.

“In the first quarter, it came out that we entered our forward 50 the same amount as the Eagles,” Blakely said

“But (West Coast) obviously used the ball a lot better going into their 50 metre.

“What came out of (the review) was our defence was a bit sloppy when they had the ball.

“Then with our ball use, it wasn’t at the level that we’ve had in the past few weeks.

Praps under pressure we reverted back to our old bomb-it-long strategy whereby mothercampaignerers like McGovern could beat us with superior marking. Glad that's a work in progress.

Not sure about going back to the two ruck model myself. Especially when the two are Sandi and Griff...
Tab will come in , if Ross play griffin I don't know what to said.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure about going back to the two ruck model myself. Especially when the two are Sandi and Griff...
Maybe it's part of his master plan that he talk up Griffin making him feel the love and then name him as the genuine emergency who sits out the Peel game and the Dockers game. Blind Freddy can see we have too many big blokes playing in the seconds.

Griff is your best ruckman and is dominating so I don't get you there. I know Peel have too many talls but Griff is not your problem. Far from it.
I just like him to be unused emergency for once.

Some people on social media and other boards reckon that the reason we are playing more running football is because apparently Ross has stopped coaching and is just letting the players have at it. :rolleyes: Saw a comment about how we got a lead and how Ross just brought his defensive playbook out and caused us to be run down.

Ross has his shortcomings, but anyone who thinks he's just letting the guys play their own game out there rather than drilling them with structures in place is just moronic. People are quick to hang s**t on the guy when things are going poorly but can't give him credit when things are doing well.

I think that he's doing a good job of balancing a positive way of holding the young players to a high standard while focusing on each game as a learning opportunity. IMO, he's bringing up the young ones pretty nicely, with the help of the grounded vets on the field. :thumbsu:

Last edited:
Some people on social media and other boards reckon that the reason we are playing more running football is because apparently Ross has stopped coaching and is just letting the players have at it. :rolleyes: Saw a comment about how we got a lead and how Ross just brought his defensive playbook out and caused us to be run down.

Ross has his shortcomings, but anyone who thinks he's just letting the guys play their own game out there rather than drilling them with structures in place is just moronic. People are quick to hang s**t on the guy when things are doing poorly but can't give him credit when things are doing well.

I think that he's doing a good job of balancing positive holding the young players to a high standard and focusing on each game as a learning opportunity. IMO, he's bringing up the young ones pretty nicely, with the help of the grounded vets on the field. :thumbsu:

Thought he completely outcoached Hardwick. Shut down attacks through the corridor, forced them wide where they couldn't score.
Was a bit slow to react in the last, but to be fair, Richmond had a few lucky breaks to close that gap.

Ross is something like 6-3 against Hardwick since he took over, with 4 of those 6 wins coming at the G. Knows how to beat him, especially in Melbourne.

Agree that he's been an easy target from day dot with all the shreiking about defensive football. He was deserving of criticism after the first 2 rounds, just like he's deserving of praise for his part in turning us around.

Ross has his shortcomings, but anyone who thinks he's just letting the guys play their own game out there rather than drilling them with structures in place is just moronic. People are quick to hang s**t on the guy when things are doing poorly but can't give him credit when things are doing well.

I think that he's doing a good job of balancing positive holding the young players to a high standard and focusing on each game as a learning opportunity. IMO, he's bringing up the young ones pretty nicely, with the help of the grounded vets on the field. :thumbsu:

He definitely deserves credit, as long as he continues evolving. It certainly would've been hard to get the players to buy back in after some of the demoralizing performances. We're also winning games with a young team, something that Ross Lyon teams in the past have struggled to do. Still a long long way to go though.

Back