Remove this Banner Ad

Tipping ladder after Round 5
Alleycraft ,,,,, 2..... 17
Grimlock ,,,,,,,2......17
Stuyd,,,,,,,,,,,,3......17
Peanut ,,,,,,,,,,2......15
Billy Bunter ,,,,1......13
Just a Braker ,,2.....11

Thank heaven for Sydney Uni or it was zip for me this weekend - this is one of the hardest form season's so far in the short history of the NEAFL Competition - The NT fortress might be showing a few foundation cracks!!!!!! Well done Swans 2s

Giants have again asked for their academy kids to play for them this weekend (same as against Southport) instead of playing for Demons against Thunder. Reason is GWS have injuries.
I know they are young and shouldnt be the difference but at this stage some of those kids are among the better talent on the Canberra list.
Established clubs like Aspley, Uni, Southport etc have average player age around 25. Dees much younger and dont have to rely on or use Academy kid
I reckon Canberra ought to tell the GWS they wont play those academy boys anymore in their NEAFL side and just build an independent Canberra side.

Giants have again asked for their academy kids to play for them this weekend (same as against Southport) instead of playing for Demons against Thunder. Reason is GWS have injuries.
I know they are young and shouldnt be the difference but at this stage some of those kids are among the better talent on the Canberra list.
Established clubs like Aspley, Uni, Southport etc have average player age around 25. Dees much younger and dont have to rely on or use Academy kid
I reckon Canberra ought to tell the GWS they wont play those academy boys anymore in their NEAFL side and just build an independent Canberra side.

Ally Craft,
Great points raised above.
This is a tough one, as GWS are spending the time and resources (along with Canberra) to improve these young guys, along with the Swans, Suns and Lions. So when their Senior lists get injuries the Academy players are the ones to come into the side - Some of these players may be the future of the clubs moving forward - Now this does not help the Canberra Demons when these players are required to cover for injuries etc. But bare in mind in the past traditionally this has been State Rep Footy time, so all Academy players for the 4 AFL Clubs were limited to playing with their home Grass root sides most weeks in any case - I would have thought these players if in the rep program, would be under the direction and advice given by the NSW Rams coaching staff at this point in time???? I may be wrong on this. It does not help your or Canberra's and the Giants selection dilemma at the moment. Academy football is working for the NEAFL kids at this point in time. So IMO the more exposure these guys get playing in the NEAFL with their respected AFL reserve sides, the closer they are to being noticed and hopefully rewarded for their efforts.

Ally Craft,
Great points raised above.
This is a tough one, as GWS are spending the time and resources (along with Canberra) to improve these young guys, along with the Swans, Suns and Lions. So when their Senior lists get injuries the Academy players are the ones to come into the side - Some of these players may be the future of the clubs moving forward - Now this does not help the Canberra Demons when these players are required to cover for injuries etc. But bare in mind in the past traditionally this has been State Rep Footy time, so all Academy players for the 4 AFL Clubs were limited to playing with their home Grass root sides most weeks in any case - I would have thought these players if in the rep program, would be under the direction and advice given by the NSW Rams coaching staff at this point in time???? I may be wrong on this. It does not help your or Canberra's and the Giants selection dilemma at the moment. Academy football is working for the NEAFL kids at this point in time. So IMO the more exposure these guys get playing in the NEAFL with their respected AFL reserve sides, the closer they are to being noticed and hopefully rewarded for their efforts.
Agree BB, tho through gritted teeth!
I guess the bottom line is that the Canberra Demons NEAFL side needs to get stronger with a more mature list.

Agree BB, tho through gritted teeth!
I guess the bottom line is that the Canberra Demons NEAFL side needs to get stronger with a more mature list.

Ally Craft,
I had the pleasure of watching the Canberra Demons in Round 2 at Aspley and I was very impressed, yes the young guys you talk about in your earlier post were very good, but so were the more mature players as well, I feel and hope that in the not too distant future, Canberra will have a side that will rival all sides in the NEAFL Competition - They are not that far away at present. I have been a constant doom gloomier about only having 1 Sydney team (being Sydney Uni), but through luck or lack of competition for players, it seems like the Sydney Uni team have built a strong hold (in a short period of time) with a very competitive list in the Harbour City rivalling their bigger brothers, being the two Sydney AFL reserve sides. This is great for Footy and for Sydney AFL as we now have a competitive Non AFL but new formatted NEAFL side, where if the young blokes are good enough in the greater Sydney are and surrounds, they can possibly get a gig with Uni.

I trust that this will be simular in Canberra, with this model now taking shape, I can only wonder how long it will be before there is 1 team in Brisbane, 1 team on the Gold Coast and or possibly 1 team on the Sunshine Coast or further up in Northern QLD? This just means in my opinion - The cream will always rise to the top and this is what the NEAFL Competition needs to be, IE as strong as possible to rival the AFL reserve sides when they are at their best - No side likes constantly loosing week in and week out, but if that team or teams embark on steady strong growth path taking all opportunities around them, this is the likely key to any Clubs future success and this is the model that Uni (I feel) has embraced and good luck to them. The Canberra Demons, I feel are not to far away from this at this present time, I liked what I saw in this new fledgling outfit, well stocked with quality players, well coached and staffed and IMO your guys are a team and a club of the here and now and the future NEAFL Competition.

Ally Craft,
I had the pleasure of watching the Canberra Demons in Round 2 at Aspley and I was very impressed, yes the young guys you talk about in your earlier post were very good, but so were the more mature players as well, I feel and hope that in the not too distant future, Canberra will have a side that will rival all sides in the NEAFL Competition - They are not that far away at present. I have been a constant doom gloomier about only having 1 Sydney team (being Sydney Uni), but through luck or lack of competition for players, it seems like the Sydney Uni team have built a strong hold (in a short period of time) with a very competitive list in the Harbour City rivalling their bigger brothers, being the two Sydney AFL reserve sides. This is great for Footy and for Sydney AFL as we now have a competitive Non AFL but new formatted NEAFL side, where if the young blokes are good enough in the greater Sydney are and surrounds, they can possibly get a gig with Uni.

I trust that this will be simular in Canberra, with this model now taking shape, I can only wonder how long it will be before there is 1 team in Brisbane, 1 team on the Gold Coast and or possibly 1 team on the Sunshine Coast or further up in Northern QLD? This just means in my opinion - The cream will always rise to the top and this is what the NEAFL Competition needs to be, IE as strong as possible to rival the AFL reserve sides when they are at their best - No side likes constantly loosing week in and week out, but if that team or teams embark on steady strong growth path taking all opportunities around them, this is the likely key to any Clubs future success and this is the model that Uni (I feel) has embraced and good luck to them. The Canberra Demons, I feel are not to far away from this at this present time, I liked what I saw in this new fledgling outfit, well stocked with quality players, well coached and staffed and IMO your guys are a team and a club of the here and now and the future NEAFL Competition.
yep Billy bunter the Neafl comp is definitely improving. Take your point re Sydney Uni being the solo team and therefore strong.
I wonder, do Asley, Redlands, Southport NT or Uni have academy kids playing? Do they have kids taken away at different times?

I think its good that the kids, if good enough , get to play at the Neafl level. Note the Swans have an U19 Neafl Academy setup where the boys actually train with the Swans AFL club. Does GWS do that? Maybe they should.

I am not complaining about the current set-up. It is what it is. As I've said, the Dees need to improve their primary list so they are not dependent on the Academy boys.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great posts on the Demons earlier in this thread as they caused a huge boil over in beating the Thunder in the NT. EVen more so if the news about their youngsters being called up for GWS Reserves is true. Well done to Klemke and his team.

Great posts on the Demons earlier in this thread as they caused a huge boil over in beating the Thunder in the NT. EVen more so if the news about their youngsters being called up for GWS Reserves is true. Well done to Klemke and his team.
best tip i've ever got wrong!.....only 1 of many I might add

Tipping after Round 6
ALLEYCRAFT .... 3 ...... 20
GRIMLOCK........3........19
STUYD.............2........19
PEANUT ..........2........17
JUST A BRAKER 2........13...
BILLY BUNTER ..3........16

Last edited:
Tipping after Round 6
ALLEYCRAFT .... 3 ...... 20
GRIMLOCK........3........19
STUYD.............2........19
PEANUT ..........2........17
JUST A BRAKER 2........13...

Stuyd1,

Why no points for me this week mate? Have I done something wrong?? I know I am second last??? Were they too bold????

Billy Bunter ,
my humble apologies to you ,,
Yes u tipped 3 ,, and are on 16

stuyd1,
Humbly accepted Sir and thanks for your quick reply. Yes 5th is better than second last but not by much!!!!!! Bit like a dead Heat really for both positions Ha, ha. I shall do some form research and see if I can do a little better - Yeh right, boy it sure is a lot tighter this year - one thing is the AFL sides seem to be a little more committed finally, after all the comp was set up originally for their benefit , Just wrapped to see the Canberra Demons getting over NT over the Weekend - Aspley will find a very up and about committed side down there this weekend, I hope it is livestreamed???????

I wondered why I am running 5th or second last? I just checked the games this week and noticed that Aspley are playing the GWS Giants "Dah" Still The Canberra Demons will be up and about (even with the travel concerns) and I still hope they Livestream the Giants v Aspley Game. Tips to come!!!!!

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back