Welcome Shane Kersten - Welcome to Freo!

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 25, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Pointing out first that Mayne butchered at goal, which isn't a shared trait.

Comparing to Mayne is interesting. Both are probably best used as 3rd talls, comparable height/weight. Maynes in 2015 scored 1.2 goals a game (in goal kicking yips stage rather than his 2012/2013 true kicking era) where Kersten is currently on 1.1 per game. Mayne at his spuddiest offered more than Kersten is currently offering both through scoreboard (though at 0.1 just barely), for all his woes at goalkicking Mayne was a top class defensive forward and Kersten isn't at that level.

A forward can miss a shot - or two, but Mayne slayed our momentum a few times with continual misses. Kersten isn't spudding the kicks like Mayne did which is to his credit. But his scoreboard pressure is light, so he needs to at the least get some more tackles in - like he did against the Kangas (4 tackles) where he has only been laying 1 tackle in all the other games or get more seperation from his opponent or fly at the packs more or something. Otherwise, we're relishing one magic card trick from him per game (spectacular mark or a match winning goal) but little else in 4 quarters.

Not trying to roast him. I think it takes match time for new players to settle in as a preseason doesn't compare to matches, let alone that the forward line is substantially changed and needs time to gel. But imho he will need to progressively take his game up another level or two or he will lose his spot in the next year or two via recruitment.

Last edited:

UFO Tatsu

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 11, 2012
Perth, WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Seemed to be a point in the third quarter against us where he started to click and has gone on with it since.

Have taken a fairly keen interest in his development after playing a couple of games against him in juniors. Works well in conjunction with other forwards which is a strength that not many young KPF's possess and bodes well for a long term partnership with McCarthy. Don't know if we'll see many dominant games from him at AFL level, but can see him being reliable for a couple of goals a game and consistently providing attack on the football with his willingness to chase, pressure and tackle.

You 193cm height?

Hellgood

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 21, 2006
WA
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
You 193cm height?

Couple of cm off that, but Kersten has a good 20kg on me now and possibly had even more back then. Fortunately I played most of my footy as a forward / wing and didn't have to stand him. Possible claim to fame is standing next to Jesse Hogan at a centre bounce (he was even bigger than Kersten was but for some reason being used as a midfield bulldozer). I was happier standing next to him than anywhere in the line of fire though thats for sure!

UFO Tatsu

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 11, 2012
Perth, WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Couple of cm off that, but Kersten has a good 20kg on me now and possibly had even more back then. Fortunately I played most of my footy as a forward / wing and didn't have to stand him. Possible claim to fame is standing next to Jesse Hogan at a centre bounce (he was even bigger than Kersten was but for some reason being used as a midfield bulldozer). I was happier standing next to him than anywhere in the line of fire though thats for sure!

Couple of years ago we would of signed you up into the team :p

Lost_Deputy

Premiership Player
Sep 9, 2013
Bundeena
AFL Club
Fremantle
Pointing out first that Mayne butchered at goal, which isn't a shared trait.

Comparing to Mayne is interesting. Both are probably best used as 3rd talls, comparable height/weight. Maynes in 2015 scored 1.2 goals a game (in goal kicking yips stage rather than his 2012/2013 true kicking era) where Kersten is currently on 1.1 per game. Mayne at his spuddiest offered more than Kersten is currently offering both through scoreboard (though at 0.1 just barely), for all his woes at goalkicking Mayne was a top class defensive forward and Kersten isn't at that level.

A forward can miss a shot - or two, but Mayne slayed our momentum a few times with continual misses. Kersten isn't spudding the kicks like Mayne did which is to his credit. But his scoreboard pressure is light, so he needs to at the least get some more tackles in - like he did against the Kangas (4 tackles) where he has only been laying 1 tackle in all the other games or get more seperation from his opponent or fly at the packs more or something. Otherwise, we're relishing one magic card trick from him per game (spectacular mark or a match winning goal) but little else in 4 quarters.

Not trying to roast him. I think it takes match time for new players to settle in as a preseason doesn't compare to matches, let alone that the forward line is substantially changed and needs time to gel. But imho he will need to progressively take his game up another level or two or he will lose his spot in the next year or two via recruitment.
Agree with all of this but would like to add that Kersto is showing more promise for the contested marks coming out of D50 and general long options. It was an area we were getting slayed in and is big for our transition.

UFO Tatsu

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 11, 2012
Perth, WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Clunking those contested marks were the difference between a goal and a rebound 50. Despite his apparent low stats, I am more than happy with his contribution to the forward line, especially in the past three games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought his performance yesterday was mega.

He stood up for us when it was tough early and really contributed to keeping the lead manageable. Thought he was easily in our top 5 on the day.

Tbonefreo

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 13, 2013
Wagga
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think he has won over the freo faithful after a shakey start. He was easily the least likeable of the 4 recruits, but has shown plenty of ticker.

That left foot 50m goal assist was *ing money

Aug 27, 2007
Block 108 as loud as any
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Everton_East Freo_Atalanta_Tranmere
Tabs gives Shane and Cam a bit more freedom - rather than just sit in the goal square and try and outmark and outmuscle taller and bigger defenders than themselves

Both look good in the forward 50 and up the ground, winning the ball on the wing then pelting the ball in to our forward 50.

Shane loves applying pressure and has a bit of confidence about him when taking on a would-be tackler. Like how he is slowly finding his role. I'd wager it was tough for both him and cam being new forwards trying to find a rhythm with the only other permanent forward to gel with being Walters (given tabs was at Peel, ape and ballas were injured and even then Walters has been playing further and further up the ground). It's like throwing them in blind and hope it works - tabs at least gives them something to work around

Sep 18, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swan Districts Vancouver Canucks
His 50m left foot pass to Mundy in the third made the pants a bit tighter.
Yes.

It was also off a step after corralling a bouncing ball and turning through traffic.

Barra didn't have to break stride...

MadDocker

Premiership Player
Jun 26, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
I've never really understood the referencing of getting a boner to men playing football etc...

CPJbwU1WcAEcICF.png

jedi mind tricks

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 13, 2011
Dream State
AFL Club
Fremantle
Kersten had a great game on the weekend, infact all the players we picked up from other clubs have been good.

We gave up very little for them and all have added something to the squad. Hill outside pace. Kersten and Cam a stronger more potent forward line with Hamling a key defender who is much needed considering Dawsons form and A Pearce injury.

Kersten was never given much of a go at Geelong and Ross has continued to play him. He has found form and if kicks straight will be a big concern for opposition clubs.

JimmyDE

Jive for Bay13s Safety Officer
Jul 6, 2011
Pursuing my ambition to become big in Japans
AFL Club
Fremantle
We gave up very little for them and all have added something to the squad. Hill outside pace. Kersten and Cam a stronger more potent forward line with Hamling a key defender who is much needed considering Dawsons form and A Pearce injury.

Kersten was never given much of a go at Geelong and Ross has continued to play him. He has found form and if kicks straight will be a big concern for opposition clubs.
It was great work from the club picking those 4 players up, they all came froms clubs who have played good footy over the last few years.

Kersten started off a bit slow but his form is getting better every week, he is going to be a very good forward for us. His work at ground level for someone playing in his position was brilliant vs Essendon.

Wally Walpamur

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Sure makes it interesting to see who the club have already identified as targets for this upcoming trade period, assuming we've gone the young WA boys living abroad strategy. McGovern would be high on the list I imagine, Tim English next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back