Injury 2017 - Injury List

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought the plan on the last PCL was to give it time to heal without surgery, then when that didn't work it was dealt with... But I might be confusing it with Clarke
PCL surgery is rarer and more drastic than ACL, it's reserved for athletes only pretty much and has a more difficult rehab

Oddly enough playing with damaged pcls is easier than with damaged acls

Man, that's a cruel joke. In his first game back, coming through Peel reserves and playing for game-time, he does the same injury except on the other knee. *. Ah well, it makes it more important that Tabs comes good now.

Just on Zarke and AP, I think Zarke is cooked and am resigned to him being delisted -- I'm pretty sure this is his last contracted year? As for AP, there was no word out of the club on whether the report that Pearce has further complications on the rebroken leg were true or not. The listing being 'TBA' and the lack of info is worrying though.

There are some massive question marks over Apeness, Bennell and A.Pearce. Hard to remain confident they'll become key pieces of Freos future.

To a (much) lesser extent, Clarke.

A. Pearce I'm not so worried about. A broken leg is just bad luck and doesn't really reflect on whether or not his body is up to it. It might mean he'll never be the player he could have been, but it's the kind of injury that is unlikely to keep recurring. Apeness and Bennell on the other hand are increasingly looking like they'll never play AFL footy again.

The big diff between Apeness, Pearce and Bennell is we know 100% that the latter 2 have the talent. Are we a lock on Apeness being the goods?

I believe so, his contested marking in the WAFL was very good. It was a matter of building the work into his body so he could compete all game at AFL level.
Yeah cool. I guess the thing is we aren't in the position to back in a injury prone "maybe" KPF. I don't get Peel games over here and can't get to training so I have to take the BF crew's opinion. One thing I've always liked tho is his mongrel. It's the diff between the good KPF's and the greats.

Yeah cool. I guess the thing is we aren't in the position to back in a injury prone "maybe" KPF. I don't get Peel games over here and can't get to training so I have to take the BF crew's opinion. One thing I've always liked tho is his mongrel. It's the diff between the good KPF's and the greats.
His body will be like Zac Clarke .

Don't think so, Pearce or Sherro. Balic didn't train either , was told he is unwell.

Neither of them fill me with confidence though. The more guys that we chopped after round two come back in, the more I fear we will revert back to that turnover-merchant style of play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Neither of them fill me with confidence though. The more guys that we chopped after round two come back in, the more I fear we will revert back to that turnover-merchant style of play.
I afraid that all freo got at the moment in the second .

I have to say that I am glad that the club gives players a decent chance to get over injuries, which mostly have been the result of pursuing a career in the AFL. Lists are not so thin that you cannot support a few players with issues. I don't know how we rank compared with other clubs, and for sure Morabito, Bennell and Apeness are frustrating as we have a lot of hope invested in them. But these are young guys who have made a huge commitment to the club and are forgoing the opportunity to develop other career options.

I must have been watching different games. It still seems to be the case, even with DP and the Whipping Boys singing at the Mandurah Hotel.

I must have been watching different games. It still seems to be the case, even with DP and the Whipping Boys singing at the Mandurah Hotel.

Yeah, it was bad in the first half of the last game. Bit of a worry. Will have to trundle out the Sack Ross bandwagon if it gets worse.

The injuries are bad, but at least we are still in the process of finding our best 22. Other clubs have got their best 22 out there already and are watching them get injured. We're in a pretty good place considering. Our forward line is shaping up nicely anyways.

I believe so, his contested marking in the WAFL was very good. It was a matter of building the work into his body so he could compete all game at AFL level.

his contested marking was OK. He played OK in the WAFL but was hardly dominating. Would go missing for long periods.

While i can see his potential in some aspects, the guy's body just isn't up to it. Another blown draft pick. We knew he had done his knee before he was even drafted which is another example of us taking a punt with a 1st round pick i'm afraid.

his contested marking was OK. He played OK in the WAFL but was hardly dominating. Would go missing for long periods.

While i can see his potential in some aspects, the guy's body just isn't up to it. Another blown draft pick. We knew he had done his knee before he was even drafted which is another example of us taking a punt with a 1st round pick i'm afraid.

Part of the problem is that he never had an extended period (i.e. full pre-season followed by a full or near full regular season) to really develop his game for top flight. Especially for talls, it takes a bit of time on the park and he's not really had that in spades.

But with the little we've had to go on, there was some potential there, no doubt. And Ross himself has singled his upside out a number of times and I've never heard him single out players unless he's legit about it. That's no sure thing though - and I agree, the bits of WAFL I've seen he's been solid, but nothing that makes you sit up and say he's a sure thing ... but that brings me back to the point above, have we really seen all he's got?

I agree D Pearce should of retired against port and playing his 250 and Sheridan is just making up the numbers like suban.

It's just a PCL, as far as I know he hadn't had any ACL issues in either knee since draft.

PCL injuries are mostly caused from impacts, it's why the ruckmen only have that circle to line each other up - they don't get such a running leap to clash their tibias together just below the knee and rupture the PCL.

I haven't found a study yet exploring the effectiveness of a shin guard to prevent PCL injury in impacts but I hypothesise that a distribution of that impact force along the length of the shin will cause more natural bend in the knee than the posterior movement caused by a sudden and focused force pushing the lower leg (already at 90 degree bend) at that angle back towards the bum.

I don't expect it will do much for people who fall into a kneeling position though, just the leg clash.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back