List Mgmt. Fyfe - Signed until 2023!!

Remove this Banner Ad

How much money can we pay him before we end up like Sydney with no depth?

5 million over 5 years, including performance bonuses to hit those targets is pretty much the most I would offer. I don't want to look back at the Fyfe contract in 3-4 years when players like Balic, Neale etc are leaving, in the same way Swans supporters must be looking at the Tippett and Franklins deals now.
Yeah fair cop really. His resume is miles and miles of Buddys as well.

5 million over 5 years, including performance bonuses to hit those targets is pretty much the most I would offer. I don't want to look back at the Fyfe contract in 3-4 years when players like Balic, Neale etc are leaving, in the same way Swans supporters must be looking at the Tippett and Franklins deals now.

Tippett is the mistake not Buddy.

Yeah the Buddy deal's not the issue. Even Tippett up until this year has actually been pretty decent.

I don't think Swans fans really are crying too much about losing players like Mumford, Membrey and Titchell (not including Malceski because he was ******* done like dinner) when the alternative is that they'd have absolutely no skilled forwards over 190cm. I mean what would their forward line look like? Sam Reid and Xavier Richards? Awesome, I bet they're killing themselves.

Fyfe is probably a bit different for us in that we're probably reasonably good for inside mids. But I don't think the argument is that simple. Would people really be pissed off on the whole were we to lose Balic and Tucker in 3 years when the alternative is that we keep a few decent Vic kids but Fyfe is playing for a Victorian club?

The salary agreement hasn't been signed yet as far as I know. It why we have 1/3 of our list uncontracted.
If the TPP is raised as much as some want, 5 over 5 would be short of the starting money for Fyfe. 10 over 5 could be under consideration in that scenario. We just don't know what the TPP is going to be.
Same reason Sydney is not stressed about the buddy payments. The TPP will jump hugely next year even with a "poor" outcome on the salary cap agreement.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The salary agreement hasn't been signed yet as far as I know. It why we have 1/3 of our list uncontracted.
If the TPP is raised as much as some want, 5 over 5 would be short of the starting money for Fyfe. 10 over 5 could be under consideration in that scenario. We just don't know what the TPP is going to be.
Same reason Sydney is not stressed about the buddy payments. The TPP will jump hugely next year even with a "poor" outcome on the salary cap agreement.

Tell him he's dreaming.

The ball park for next year is a 20% increase, with 1 or 2% increases after that.

Your bottom 5 players win you the premiership, not your top 5 and I want a premiership. If Fyfe wants one, then 5 million over 5 years will be more than enough cash.

The ball park for next year is a 20% increase, with 1 or 2% increases after that.

Your bottom 5 players win you the premiership, not your top 5 and I want a premiership. If Fyfe wants one, then 5 million over 5 years will be more than enough cash.
He's on $1M a season now; i'd be willing to increase his pay in line with the TPP increase - $6.25M over 5 years ($1.25M p.a.) seems about right for one of the best players in the game.

I don't mind it (I think there is very little chance Fyfe will leave) but I also don't agree with a lot of what Ryan wrote. And The Roar comments section is clearly where intelligence goes to die.
Haha, to be fair, I think general rule of thumb is that intelligence is not permitted on any online comments section. Also, what did you disagree with? I thought he was spot on and positive on where we are heading, barring maybe not being a contender until 2020 (I think 2019 is achievable given current results).

Haha, to be fair, I think general rule of thumb is that intelligence is not permitted on any online comments section. Also, what did you disagree with? I thought he was spot on and positive on where we are heading, barring maybe not being a contender until 2020 (I think 2019 is achievable given current results).
I agree with the overall analysis just not so much on a lot of the detail.

"(Fyfe) is playing as a permanent forward more regularly" - no he's not. I think Ross estimated him 80/20 (mid/fwd) whereas he started last year at almost 50/50. Mundy is the one close to 50/50 this year and I think even Neale might have been forward more than Fyfe has.

"The relatively short history of AFL free agency says top-five players move clubs." and then later "Valuable free agents will never, ever, sign in-season." - well if you are going to move clubs as a free agent then you have to wait until the end of season. Dangerfield wanted to go home. Buddy chased the money and wasn't leaving home. It's far too small a pool to draw any conclusions like these on. I'm still expecting Fyfe to negotiate with Freo and re-sign in season like his management has continually said he would. If he doesn't then I think he probably is leaving.

"The pressure is still there – particularly in defence, where Fremantle’s midfielders are rushing back in support like it is 2013 all over again." - this isn't accurate either. We are holding far more structure forward of the ball than we ever have in recent history imo. Sure our mids provide some support (as they do/should in all teams) but nothing like the flood backs of the past.

"Still, the Dockers are not a 5-3 team." - we aren't? We've beaten the teams at 7th, 8th, 10th and 11th position on the ladder (we are 9th right in the middle of them). We've only lost to top 8 teams (at 3rd, 4th and 5th on the ladder). And two of those losses were our rubbish 1st and 2nd rounds.

"But still, Fremantle’s percentage is a much better guide of where they’re at as a football team." - I think our percentage (85.4%) is a really poor indication of where we are at as our rds 1 & 2 are massive outliers that will take ages for us to counter balance. If you take rd3 to rd8 we have a percentage of 104.3%.

"And you know what? It’s fine. This year was never the year, and neither was next year, or the year after that. 2020 is when this team turns once more for the home straight" - maybe it will take that long but his analysis is far too simplistic. We have 3 of our star players having missed almost all of last season, Neale (our B&F from last season) is still building after surgeries in the off-season, we have 4 brand new trade in recruits who need time to gel, overall our B22 has changed by more than half from this time last year and we are playing like 10 or more players with less than 50 games experience. Given we are just outside the 8 already (after having played 5 of the top 8 teams) and not even half way through our first year of a 4 year rebuild doesn't make me think we have 3 more years to go before we'll become competitive again.

"And you know what? It’s fine. This year was never the year, and neither was next year, or the year after that. 2020 is when this team turns once more for the home straight" - maybe it will take that long but his analysis is far too simplistic. We have 3 of our star players having missed almost all of last season, Neale (our B&F from last season) is still building after surgeries in the off-season, we have 4 brand new trade in recruits who need time to gel, overall our B22 has changed by more than half from this time last year and we are playing like 10 or more players with less than 50 games experience. Given we are just outside the 8 already (after having played 5 of the top 8 teams) and not even half way through our first year of a 4 year rebuild doesn't make me think we have 3 more years to go before we'll become competitive again.

IF we had a fit Bennell and a fit Alex Pearce we could push as early as next year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree with the overall analysis just not so much on a lot of the detail.

wayToGo_ great post, always enjoy reading your balanced responses.
On a different but related topic, what would it take to get you on the 'talking dockers' segment Saturday mornings on Sport Fm ?
I'd def tune in listening to your insight as I'm sure many others would ....

Will be interesting to see how this plays out now.

If Fyfe re-signs with you guys in the next couple of weeks it would be pretty clear we missed out on our man.

The longer he goes unsigned the more it makes me think we have Kelly.

Interesting times ahead, hope he gets back to his best for you guys. Have a lot of time for him and Ross the Boss.

If Fyfe re-signs with you guys in the next couple of weeks it would be pretty clear we missed out on our man.

Interesting times ahead, hope he gets back to his best for you guys. Have a lot of time for him and Ross the Boss.
If I was gambling man I'd bet on neither.

Yeah... 'pulled out'.

Like how we 'pulled out' of the running for Hogan.

spot on mate

i think we've known for a while now. its only just been made public now that we've gotten some way down the road with kelly

richo on 360 basically alluded to it, when that stupid rumour occurred

I think Kelly will re-sign with GWS short term. 2 years or so. Then go back to melb.
Could end up with 3 premierships by then

Kelly will be at St Kilda if he isn't at GWS. A few posters may have rubbed us off the wrong way but if we are serious St Kilda are probably the only Melbourne side seen as being capable of offering Kelly both finals and cash in that quantity. Draft pick wise a lot of teams would be ruled out as well, as they would with Fyfe and Martin (Freo and Richmond would match but both won't need to IMO). A lot will become more clear around and after the bye rounds - ie the next 3-5 weeks.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Carlton Fans 2016: Fyfe is coming to Carlton. He's toured our facilities.

Saints Fans 2017: Fyfe is coming to St Kilda....All the players are excited! We will trade Hickey for him.

lol Victorians, when will they learn?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back