Autopsy Mundy microwaves Richmond by 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Really happy with the way Ethan Hughes has quietly gone about improving his game week by week.
He didn't get a lot of touches but there were 3 things he did that stood out for me. There was one where he showed the composure of a 100 gamer which has probably been one of his weaknesses, there was another where he demonstrated his brute strength and of course there was that one where he backed into a pack to take a "mark" (it would have been paid if his surname was Martin). And all this from a player off the rookie list, great stuff. I thought Tabs put in a much improved effort in the ruck too.

I assumed Lynch must've thought it missed as he said it early.

I'm not about to let facts get in the way of my tirade mate.

On Eddie, he is a total campaigner, barracked against us the entire time and as usual didn't know one Freo player from the other BUT, his call of the finish was legendary and I'm glad we have some proper excitement for one of our highlights. Imagine Bazil and his 5-second delay monotone calling that, yikes.

I'm not about to let facts get in the way of my tirade mate.

On Eddie, he is a total campaigner, barracked against us the entire time and as usual didn't know one Freo player from the other BUT, his call of the finish was legendary and I'm glad we have some proper excitement for one of our highlights. Imagine Bazil and his 5-second delay monotone calling that, yikes.
e7a8136ca6b9af75901dce4fe1f3aef1

"Here comes Mundy, the dumped former freo captain who made way for the uncontracted free agent Nate Fyfe due to a bitter internal player revolt, you might remember he missed after the siren against Geelong back in 2014... he takes his kick... Aaaaaaaand he's kicked the goooooaaaaaaaallll."

I don't watch any footy media on TV any more but I can imagine on the couch or whatever they have on fox these days will spend half a show talking about unlucky Richmond were and they'll replay that 6 times but no one will even mention Grey's goal.
Ross mentioned it in his presser so it should get some sort of look at.

Today I see grow and maturity in tab, tucker , grey and Hughes game . All these players learn their craft with peel. If veteran players is giving OK performance is time for another batch of young players given a chance .

Where is Fyfe at this season?

I mean, he's had some really good quarters and contributed to wins, but we all know he is capable of much more. Every week this board says he is on the verge of tearing a game apart but it just hasn't happened.

It takes time to get back into it. There's no heavy reliance on him in our midfield now. What's incredibly noticeable is his body language. Usually I hate this type of over analysis, but Mundy kicks a great goal and Fyfe is one of the last into the huddle and gives a token pat to the huddle.

I'd like to think it's because he knows he's capable of so much more and is just having a tough time working through it.

I can't see him leaving, but he's just 1% off his game right now and when you're linked to other clubs and haven't signed? Well you can't afford to be of 1%.

View attachment 370349
Cant get enough of watching Lachie's pick up and run :)
Perfect way to finish your 100th game; Match-winning play in the dying seconds. Classy and precise despite exhaustion and pressure. Started the bounce lining up on Martin, and left him way behind. Picked the gold plated forward option and placed the ball in exactly the right place for him. Nothing left to chance. A grade.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On Fyfe, the guy has been away for almost a whole year of footy - who has come back from a break that long and looked like he hasn't missed a beat? Barlow took a while to get back to his best, said he was playing with a bit of pain for a while after he got back and it took time for him to trust his body again. Fyfe also has to contend with a lot of attention from the opposition, and is targeted off the ball quite a bit to get him off his game. Add to that the added responsibility of being captain, the guy has a lot going on.

He'll work into it, and it's encouraging to see that he continues to lift when he needs to and plays a role in dragging us over the line. The fact that we are scraping through games successfully even if he is not firing as much as we hope is a positive.

While appreciating your positivity, there's been quite a few teams that have lost to teams they 'should' have won against. We are playing with a certain 'vibe' though, which is as good as anything to pick results on right now.
You will be fine unless you blow next week vs Carlton at home, or the Saints game at home, for example. I see 13 - 15 wins from your fixture, and thats not counting Swans away, etc where I had you as a loss. I got a feeling we both will be fighting for that last spot in the 4.

On Fyfe, the guy has been away for almost a whole year of footy - who has come back from a break that long and looked like he hasn't missed a beat? Barlow took a while to get back to his best, said he was playing with a bit of pain for a while after he got back and it took time for him to trust his body again. Fyfe also has to contend with a lot of attention from the opposition, and is targeted off the ball quite a bit to get him off his game. Add to that the added responsibility of being captain, the guy has a lot going on.

He'll work into it, and it's encouraging to see that he continues to lift when he needs to and plays a role in dragging us over the line. The fact that we are scraping through games successfully even if he is not firing as much as we hope is a positive.

Can't be bothered going back through this thread but you have to respect our captain, Fyfe giving that young tiger a horizontal high five....Humbling stuff!

Last edited:
Just updating my stats again.

Games won by 1-9 points

Lyon 28-11 (5 draws)
C. Scott 21-11 (1 draw)
Worsfold 33-26 (2 draws)
Clarkson 25-21 (1 draw)
Buckley 10-10 (0 draws)
Hardwick 11-14 (2 draws)
Longmire 10-13 (2 draws)
Eade 22-36 (5 draws)
B. Scott 9-21 (0 draws).

Games won by 1-6 points

Lyon 14-7
C. Scott 15-10
Worsfold 23-20
Clarkson 19-14
Buckley 7-7
Hardwick 5-12
Longmire 8-9
Eade 16-22
B. Scott 4-15.

Games won by 1-3 points

Lyon 8-4
C. Scott 9-2
Worsfold 13-10
Clarkson 12-8
Buckley 4-5
Hardwick 2-6
Longmire 2-4
Eade 11-14
B. Scott 1-11.

We were at the game and it was gold. All making sure we could see them when they hit the front and then trying to be invisible. So funny.

haha to true. not a tiger in sight at the London Tavern after the game... fair weather pricks.
i met Conor Blakeley's dad there after (true story), top man.
great game, was my son's first game of AFL... how sweet. beating Richmond after the siren. how sweet it is!?

Got home late after kids footy and celebrating mother's day......what win. I will probably reiterate most of the same, but thought we really deserved the win as we were the best side for a majority of the day. Disappointing to let them nearly snatch it but Walters was immense, Hamling is channeling mcpharlin more each week, Hughes is certainly growing, Billy great again, tabs backed up reasonably well, Kersten is a significant upgrade on the Chris Mayne of the last 2 years, MJ back to good form and lastly and possibly controversially I though Sutcliffe played a reasonably good game. Yes Sutty made some mistakes but he shows more heart than Sheridan and hopefully can build into good form circa 2013-2014.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back