Analysis The Matt Taberner effect

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it was worth noting that he seems to have allowed Kersten to be a better player. If he plays OK himself and Kersten continues to play well then it is a win.
Definitely. The past two weeks has been Kersten's best. Can't be a coincidence . Matt Taberner having that effect.

Not sure he is a long-term ruck foil for Sandi, especially if Sandi gets injured, but whilst he is in the system works well!

Some terrific clunks in the air again, and kicked two goals in a low-scoring match, on the biggest stage. Good progress !

Yeah, got to be happy with that. It wasn't an easy siutation. Just about everybody found themselves in and out of the game and getting it wrong at some point. Given his history, this was an important game. In the past he's followed good performances with relative downers. Thought this was a solid game overall and was still clunking them when the pressure was on.

Not sure if RTB will be so forgiving of that poor option to go to Hill, but that aside, I reckon he did his job.

Yeah, got to be happy with that. It wasn't an easy siutation. Just about everybody found themselves in and out of the game and getting it wrong at some point. Given his history, this was an important game. In the past he's followed good performances with relative downers. Thought this was a solid game overall and was still clunking them when the pressure was on.

Not sure if RTB will be so forgiving of that poor option to go to Hill, but that aside, I reckon he did his job.

To be fair I'm not sure RTB should be forgiving of the entire last quarter. Really no one stood up to put them away, or to steady the ship. Terribly disappointing and lucky final result. Started in the middle and spread around the field.

To be fair I'm not sure RTB should be forgiving of the entire last quarter. Really no one stood up to put them away, or to steady the ship. Terribly disappointing and lucky final result. Started in the middle and spread around the field.
This. Take the 4 points, but the last quarter was putrid, seriously poor decision making when the pressure got cranked up. Luckily our star leaders stood up in the last 21 seconds.

Ross alluded to that in his presser. If the midfield does it's job in the last quarter, Tabs never needs to be in that position.

Ross alluded to that in his presser. If the midfield does it's job in the last quarter, Tabs never needs to be in that position.

Yup.
Not to say the defensive cohesion for the rest of the game wasn't great and midfield did well for three quarters but that won't really do it in this league.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Those centre clearances leading to goals, ouch! The whole team was under the pump from repeated midfield errors in that last quarter, equally they made the difference in the first 3 quarters that gave us a chance to get the chocolates in the first place. As RTB say's, it's all won and lost in the midfield.

Not sure he is a long-term ruck foil for Sandi, especially if Sandi gets injured, but whilst he is in the system works well!

Some terrific clunks in the air again, and kicked two goals in a low-scoring match, on the biggest stage. Good progress !

He had 12 hitouts vs Nankervis' 20 for the match, so I think he's doing much better than expected in the ruck at the moment.

Those centre clearances leading to goals, ouch! The whole team was under the pump from repeated midfield errors in that last quarter, equally they made the difference in the first 3 quarters that gave us a chance to get the chocolates in the first place. As RTB say's, it's all won and lost in the midfield.

I think we must have fumbled the ball about 125 times in a row trying to clear the ball from the midfield in the last quarter.

If you keep fumbling then eventually the opposition are going to pick it up, that's pretty much what happened in the last quarter and that's why they won like 10 clearances in a row.

So good to see him improving his ruck work , all along I said he needed to go back to wafl to add other skill into his game . when he can't mark the ball at least got something to fall back to .

The three pronged talls is working nicely.
Each is contributing different things. They're working up he ground and running hard back. All of them can mark and are reasonable kicks for goal.
Can't wait I have a Hill on each wing where they can really benefit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The three pronged talls is working nicely.
Each is contributing different things. They're working up he ground and running hard back. All of them can mark and are reasonable kicks for goal.
Can't wait I have a Hill on each wing where they can really benefit

Their are a number of reasons they are working relatively well. One is that they are all mobile for tall(ish) players and they're hard runners. It means we can play tall but still maintain a dynamic front half which is important for the current game. The other thing is that we're generally not favouring one or the other. There's no Pav who was options 1 thru 6 for most players delivering the ball in years gone by - so this set up they all get a genuine look at it where in the past that would happened less often.

On top of that, there's still upside to all of them really, Tabs has worked hard to slowly but surely improve and there's no reason that can't continue, McCarthy I suspect is a season or so away from his best ... not so sure about Kirsten. Hard to read how good he can be, but he's doing a solid job at the moment.

Their are a number of reasons they are working relatively well. One is that they are all mobile for tall(ish) players and they're hard runners. It means we can play tall but still maintain a dynamic front half which is important for the current game. The other thing is that we're generally not favouring one or the other. There's no Pav who was options 1 thru 6 for most players delivering the ball in years gone by - so this set up they all get a genuine look at it where in the past that would happened less often.

On top of that, there's still upside to all of them really, Tabs has worked hard to slowly but surely improve and there's no reason that can't continue, McCarthy I suspect is a season or so away from his best ... not so sure about Kirsten. Hard to read how good he can be, but he's doing a solid job at the moment.

The other thing that's changed is the delivery.
Brad Hill, Blakely, and Sonny can kick to a lead.
sonny as a mid is worth more than Sonny as a small forward, as we don't lose the ball as much

Yes clearly marked it and would b contender for mark of the week.(Crozier).was hoping tabs would get a run a bit earlier in the year,he has certainly added an extra bow to the forward line and his ruck work has been very competitive,allowing sandy more rest

Remove this Banner Ad

Back