Analysis The Matt Taberner effect

Remove this Banner Ad

Was generally very good yesterday but that bomb kick to Hill late in the game with 3 Tigers near him was a shocker.
He should have taken that option sooner/quicker - sometimes we've had free options and out guys wait for things to backfill instead of moving the ball forward and honouring the free player

Key forward - was too used to walking back slowly (usually to take a shot), but had to get back quickly while players were flooding back as his free/running options were drying up.

I'd know, I was a serial offender doing this in jnr footy whenever I took a mark up the ground hahah

Last edited:
He should have taken that option sooner/quicker - sometimes we've had free options and out guys wait for things to backfill instead of moving the ball forward and honouring the free player

With a couple of minutes to go in that situation the plan would be to soak up as much time as possible and if there is no clear lead kick down the line to a pack and then either get the ball out or lock it in. He did the hold up part ok but then kicked to a small with 3 on him. The coaches would have been pissed with the kick but over the moon with the mark.:D

He was looking over his shoulder (to the corridor) as he walked back, if he saw anything useful he might have done something earlier - other than that, eating up time was the correct thing to do. BHill was a poor choice of target - But I think he would have been hoping for the ball to get moved over the line for a throw in - which would eat up more time.

He was looking over his shoulder (to the corridor) as he walked back, if he saw anything useful he might have done something earlier - other than that, eating up time was the correct thing to do. BHill was a poor choice of target - But I think he would have been hoping for the ball to get moved over the line for a throw in - which would eat up more time.
Make it simple , a poor decision to kick it to b.hill who had three taller players in front of him .

Was generally very good yesterday but that bomb kick to Hill late in the game with 3 Tigers near him was a shocker.

It ended up being a false 'safe option' as all players try to hug the line when in doubt, but a tiny Hill with 3 tall Richmond's nearby wasn't a good choice that time.

However, if you look at the vision, he doesn't have a lot of options. The real issue is that he should have waited just that extra few seconds for players ahead of the ball to give him safer options. Most of the options are still running away from him when he kicks it and Richmond were better setup than we were. After deciding to take his time, he should have taken all of it because there was basically none of our players ready for the kick except Hill who was then out of it pretty quickly.

It ended up being a false 'safe option' as all players try to hug the line when in doubt, but a tiny Hill with 3 tall Richmond's nearby wasn't a good choice that time.

However, if you look at the vision, he doesn't have a lot of options. The real issue is that he should have waited just that extra few seconds for players ahead of the ball to give him safer options. Most of the options are still running away from him when he kicks it and Richmond were better setup than we were. After deciding to take his time, he should have taken all of it because there was basically none of our players ready for the kick except Hill who was then out of it pretty quickly.

The issue really is that he should have gone for a longer option. If in doubt, if you're going to kick it down the line, go long. This at the very least means that our forwards will be able to get to the contest to try and get it out of bounds.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it is Mathews 50th AFL game against the Pies this week, Congrats on the achievement, as many on here have written him off,
yet he is still getting a game.
Should be a dry day so you would expect a decent showing, but by hitting that milestone, he has played enough to be judged on.
Lets hope he keeps on defying the odds.

I think it is Mathews 50th AFL game against the Pies this week, Congrats on the achievement, as many on here have written him off,
yet he is still getting a game.
Should be a dry day so you would expect a decent showing, but by hitting that milestone, he has played enough to be judged on.
Lets hope he keeps on defying the odds.

The verdict is in... and it's not good.

Can't say McCarthy or Kersten or any of our forwards really had much of a chance today when our midfield/half backs were turning the ball over and had flat out horrible entries/kicks.

Don't be quick to jump on the hate for one bloke when there were plenty of passengers out there today.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back