Mega Thread Miscellaneous Freo Discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just watching Sunrise and the AFL results continually coming across the bottom of the screen shows that apparently WC beat us by 10 points yesterday.

The WC trolls are everywhere but channel 7 are full of them

Norf have made a rather gutsy (gutless?) choice as their Grand Final captain...

(hint: he's on their bench)

04d72b8952fd70abd3806eeb4b5ea4b3.jpg

On MIX using BigFooty.com mobile app

http://m.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2017-05-10/focus-on-improvement-for-in-form-freo

Wasn't sure where to post this but I found it surprising we're 14th in the league for turnovers, a complete turnaround from last season although I have noticed we are leaking goals like a sieve from stoppages.

If the midfielders start getting in top from the first quarter we should finally start to see some big wins. We've kicked big scores this year and are scoring more freely (as evidenced from our comeback wins) so if we can stop the opposition scoring so easy I expect to see our first blowout win soon.

http://m.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2017-05-10/focus-on-improvement-for-in-form-freo

Wasn't sure where to post this but I found it surprising we're 14th in the league for turnovers, a complete turnaround from last season although I have noticed we are leaking goals like a sieve from stoppages.

If the midfielders start getting in top from the first quarter we should finally start to see some big wins. We've kicked big scores this year and are scoring more freely (as evidenced from our comeback wins) so if we can stop the opposition scoring so easy I expect to see our first blowout win soon.

I like this

Lyon: “Sometimes it’s just as simple as ball watching after an error - don’t worry about it and get on and help us get organised.

Rewatch the first half and check who is ball watching .

Last edited:

In the essendon game they had a +1 at stoppages whereas we were more defensive. I wonder if it's a strategy thing for us that's causing the results to be what they are - like rope a dope

In the essendon game they had a +1 at stoppages whereas we were more defensive. I wonder if it's a strategy thing for us that's causing the results to be what they are - like rope a dope
I don't think it's the +1 that's been killing us. I've noticed it in pretty much all the games this season that it's taken one or all three of Fyfe Mundy and Neale to switch on and when they do they bring us back into the game and then onto the win. If they could be switched on from the bounce we may well not find ourselves having to play catch up.

I don't think it's the +1 that's been killing us. I've noticed it in pretty much all the games this season that it's taken one or all three of Fyfe Mundy and Neale to switch on and when they do they bring us back into the game and then onto the win. If they could be switched on from the bounce we may well not find ourselves having to play catch up.
So what is it then that takes them half a game to switch on

So what is it then that takes them half a game to switch on
I'm not too sure but it doesn't look physical or structural. I think it's mental and that's the coaches job to prepare them to be mentally ready. It just seems they let it drift to a point where it requires them to switch up a gear and they duly step up. I haven't noticed us matching the +1 at the contest when we've turned the games but I do see an attitude shift in the players. They look to put in more effort.

This game seems to make for some wacky stat lines. Like a guy played a whole game with zero handpasses and kicked 32 goals

I drafted an 18 year old, 182cm ruckman who already had a maxed out (99) ruck rating as a new recruit. He lasted to pick 34.

I think mainly it is because we aren't starting with our first choice midfield (Sandi, Fyfe, Mundy, Neale) often in the first half. With 1 (or more) spending time forward and giving the younger players a run through at the start. Come the second half and those four are spending more time in the middle (often as a team) with the younger players resting forward. As much as the shiny new toys are exciting they are not as effective in the midfield.

Team|Mundy 1|Mundy 2|Mundy total|Fyfe 1|Fyfe 2|fyfe total|Neale 1|Neale 2|Neale total
\WB|11|19|30|14|19|33|13|17|30
\ME|10|13|23|13|12|25|5|17|22
\NM|11|19|30|11|15|26|11|11|22
\ES|11|13|24|11|15|26|16|24|40
\Wins|10.75|16|26.75|12.25|15.25|27.5|11.25|17.25|28.5
\WC|8|9|17|10|9|19|12|17|29
\total|10.2|14.6|24.8|11.8|14|25.8|11.4|17.2|28.6
They are averaging 4 extra possessions each in the second half.

I think mainly it is because we aren't starting with our first choice midfield (Sandi, Fyfe, Mundy, Neale) often in the first half. With 1 (or more) spending time forward and giving the younger players a run through at the start. Come the second half and those four are spending more time in the middle (often as a team) with the younger players resting forward. As much as the shiny new toys are exciting they are not as effective in the midfield.

Team|Mundy 1|Mundy 2|Mundy total|Fyfe 1|Fyfe 2|fyfe total|Neale 1|Neale 2|Neale total
\WB|11|19|30|14|19|33|13|17|30
\ME|10|13|23|13|12|25|5|17|22
\NM|11|19|30|11|15|26|11|11|22
\ES|11|13|24|11|15|26|16|24|40
\Wins|10.75|16|26.75|12.25|15.25|27.5|11.25|17.25|28.5
\WC|8|9|17|10|9|19|12|17|29
\total|10.2|14.6|24.8|11.8|14|25.8|11.4|17.2|28.6
They are averaging 4 extra possessions each in the second half.
What's the point if we're playing catch up every game though? Wouldn't it be better to start with the A Team and once we have a hold on the game, then put this kids through the middle? Maybe it was because Neale and Fyfe were coming back from surgery and injury?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What's the point if we're playing catch up every game though? Wouldn't it be better to start with the A Team and once we have a hold on the game, then put this kids through the middle? Maybe it was because Neale and Fyfe were coming back from surgery and injury?
Maybe. Or maybe in a development year, they are trying to work on the younger players taking ownership. We know that those 3 mids can play. We are trying to work out who else can.

Congrats.

But was going to say, pretty interesting how many great hopes for our forward line didn't come around, still we do pretty well:

Walters (probably everybody agreed he would have to kick a major part of our winning scores)
Yarran (gone)
Ballanytne (him back to AA form would have been nice)
Apeness (not yet again, but a lot had him in the best 22 before Kersten or Taberner)
Bennell (was/is likely to start more a forward and at his best should be dangerous)

Congrats.

But was going to say, pretty interesting how many great hopes for our forward line didn't come around, still we do pretty well:

Walters (probably everybody agreed he would have to kick a major part of our winning scores)
Yarran (gone)
Ballanytne (him back to AA form would have been nice)
Apeness (not yet again, but a lot had him in the best 22 before Kersten or Taberner)
Bennell (was/is likely to start more a forward and at his best should be dangerous)
True, who predicted we'd be 5 from 6 games with none of these players having an impact in our forward line..

True, who predicted we'd be 5 from 6 games with none of these players having an impact in our forward line..
Anyone else get the same feels as what happened in 2012. 2011 being a horror year, slow start to the year in 2012 than it turned into a pretty good year maybe 2018 we make the grand final and win than maybe?

Hypothetically if Hill, Balla's , Balic and Bennell are all fit and ready to go after the bye and we are in the running for a finals berth [we should be 8 and 4 at the bye and only need to win 4 out of the last 10] :D who goes to make way .

Hypothetically if Hill, Balla's , Balic and Bennell are all fit and ready to go after the bye and we are in the running for a finals berth [we should be 8 and 4 at the bye and only need to win 4 out of the last 10] :D who goes to make way .
Good luck , as for me I am not asking too much a few afl game here and there for those inexperienced players. When injuries ,suspension and players management come they are good enough to fill the gap.

Hypothetically, you missed A Pearce.

Tough calls. The only obvious one is D Pearce out for S Hill. I would hate for Grey to be dropped for Ballas as Grey has been giving us some grunt and pressure in the forward 50 (how good was that tackle on Cotchin). Maybe Tabs for Ballas but concede Tabs has been ok the last 2 games and has been used as the 2nd ruck.

I can see Croz being dropped for Bennell.

Balic is going to have to fight it out with the likes of Langdon for a spot.

Who gets dropped for A Pearce? Sutcliffe would be first cab off the rank. As much as Spurr cops it around here I still think he is a very important cog in our defence. He needs to stay in.

Tough decisions to be made by our coaching staff potentially, but happy to let the cobblers do the cobbling.

Hypothetically, you missed A Pearce.

Tough calls. The only obvious one is D Pearce out for S Hill. I would hate for Grey to be dropped for Ballas as Grey has been giving us some grunt and pressure in the forward 50 (how good was that tackle on Cotchin). Maybe Tabs for Ballas but concede Tabs has been ok the last 2 games and has been used as the 2nd ruck.

I can see Croz being dropped for Bennell.

Balic is going to have to fight it out with the likes of Langdon for a spot.

Who gets dropped for A Pearce? Sutcliffe would be first cab off the rank. As much as Spurr cops it around here I still think he is a very important cog in our defence. He needs to stay in.

Tough decisions to be made by our coaching staff potentially, but happy to let the cobblers do the cobbling.

I think you can write off Pearce for this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back