Autopsy Mundy microwaves Richmond by 2

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Eddie tries to emulate BT's style of commentary - aka overly passionate/enthusiastic and getting swept up in the drama of the game; the only difference is BT's a lot better at sounding neutral in drumming-up the team that's either closing the gap on a lead, or where the lead keeps changing. Eddie's a bit more undisciplined, and might blatantly makes calls like 'That's a free!' 'They were robbed!' etc etc.

I remember Eddie commentating us when the Wiz made that sensational tackle and Longmuir lined up for an after the siren goal in 2005. That was at home on a Friday night and Eddie's call was absolutely awesome, can watch that over and over again.

Personally, I'm so glad it was Eddie calling Mundy's kick for goal as opposed to (was it Healy?) the other commentator who called Ellis's goal, even if it was Richmond's.

I think Eddie tries to emulate BT's style of commentary - aka overly passionate/enthusiastic and getting swept up in the drama of the game; the only difference is BT's a lot better at sounding neutral in drumming-up the team that's either closing the gap on a lead, or where the lead keeps changing. Eddie's a bit more undisciplined, and might blatantly makes calls like 'That's a free!' 'They were robbed!' etc etc.

I remember Eddie commentating us when the Wiz made that sensational tackle and Longmuir lined up for an after the siren goal in 2005. That was at home on a Friday night and Eddie's call was absolutely awesome, can watch that over and over again.

Personally, I'm so glad it was Eddie calling Mundy's kick for goal as opposed to (was it Healy?) the other commentator who called Ellis's goal, even if it was Richmond's.

Imagine if that was basil.He would ruin another magic moment for us. I'm happy that it was Eddie too.

It's not an 'us against them chip on our shoulder' thing. Have a read of the MB gameday thread and see how many neutral supporters from a variety of clubs commented on Ed's barracking.
I hate Port but Eddie's barracking for Carlton against them at the MCG a couple of years ago was ridiculous.

e7a8136ca6b9af75901dce4fe1f3aef1

"Here comes Mundy, the dumped former freo captain who made way for the uncontracted free agent Nate Fyfe due to a bitter internal player revolt, you might remember he missed after the siren against Geelong back in 2014... he takes his kick... Aaaaaaaand he's kicked the goooooaaaaaaaallll."

Just curious... How many times have people watched that kick this week already? And also quoting this because it's one of the funniest things I've read on BF.

Blakely is a gun btw. Like was lyon is doing with him. Using as a tagger to build mid mins then I presume he will be relinquished of the role at some point in the future
Having him follow the best in the business is a good way of learning tips and tricks himself - wonder if all our up and coming inside mids should do a stint as a tagger

Eddie (and Dwayne) commentated the 2015 Mundy v Richmond game. I thought he was great that day but poor on Sunday. That day in 2015 it was Bomber Thomson that was outright barracking for the Tiggers.
Thompson is an incoherent cretin. How that bloke has 2 flags to his name is baffling.

Especially like the call by him during that game when Crozier gets pushed over by Chaplin in the F50 as Hilly is about to kick it to him. Crozier gets the free and goals.

"Don't like it Ed. I believe free kicks should be earnt". FMD, if you were allowed to push a bloke over off the ball before the ball is kicked to him then wouldn't every F'n team do that?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And one of those players getting called Mundy was Blakely. I am still not 100% sure his isn't just supporting any Victorian team over others. But surely if you are going to get paid as the play by play commentator you could at least know the players names. Getting Mayne to Collingwood for Billy was gold wasn't it.

It is well known that Eddie hates to mouth the name David Mundy.

Ed was told by the Collingwood recruiters, that they were looking to grab a frizzy haired chap from Freo, that kicked goals. They didn't want Eddie to get too excited, they just said it was an "M" player. "Offer him 4 years and what ever price he asks", was Eds excited shout.

Mayne and Mundy, yep they both look the same !!!!!!.

I'm not too fussed by the commentary during games, I generally only listen to it when it's not a Dockers game. When the Dockers are playing I'm normally so absorbed by the contest I don't hear the commentary. However, the low point for me came about half way thru the last qtr when Reiwoldt put a hand directly in the middle of Hamling's back and shoved him out of the way. Eddie's call was "good push in the side there". In my mind, if it was a fair push it wouldn't occur to the commentator to emphasise that they thought it was a push in the side. If the decision (or non-decision in this case) was not contentious then Eddie would have just called it a "push" and not a "push in the side".
When a commentator starts to cover for an obvious mistake on behalf of the umpire, or he tries to make a call that contradicts what is clearly visible to anyone watching the vision then it becomes quite clear that they have some hidden agenda.

At best background noise if you listen to them.
Very few of them have any talent at anything.
Certainly abrasive idiocy is what's mainly on the payroll.
Bit like the Bigfooty ignore button;don't need to activate it in order to ignore campaigners.

Eddie was terrible during the game, absolute hysteria when Tiges got close then hit the lead, even Lynch said " Oh no " when Mundy marked

Healy was the only neutral commentary and the Vics reckon he was barracking hard for us all game, actually Derwayne was neutral but he is so Over. The. Top, Every. Time. it makes it hard to listen to him pronounce names like San. Dee. Lands.

Work that out

Eddie will barrack for any team playing a Vic team, fact.

I like Ed as a president but he is an awful commentator

Eddie was terrible during the game, absolute hysteria when Tiges got close then hit the lead, even Lynch said " Oh no " when Mundy marked

Healy was the only neutral commentary and the Vics reckon he was barracking hard for us all game, actually Derwayne was neutral but he is so Over. The. Top, Every. Time. it makes it hard to listen to him pronounce names like San. Dee. Lands.

Work that out

Eddie will barrack for any team playing a Vic team, fact.

I like Ed as a president but he is an awful commentator

Eddie barracks for a close game, like a few other commentators do. If any side is 5 goals down at 3/4 time looks suddenly like making a comeback and pinching the game or making it a close one they tend to sound like they are barracking that side in for a tense last two minutes. I guess it is just the boredom of the professional commentator who has called countless 6-10 goal wins before and is trying to maintain enthusiasm. To be fair to Eddie he did get what he wanted and screamed his **** off calling our last play, it's quite a good sound track that will stick with that footage for all future people looking it up on YouTube.

(Disclaimer - I watched the game at the pub with the sound turned down low, only watched the full replay a day later)

Did Blakely tag Martin on the weekend? If so i don't understand his plaudits this round, Martin had a great game i would've thought?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back