Women's Footy AFLW Fremantle - 2020 #1 Team - Season Cancelled

Remove this Banner Ad

It was interesting that Tarnica Golisano played that game, and does she look different from last year, noticeably heavier and more powerful. I think some of the Dockers will tear the comp up when they come back.
Thanks for the update. Tarni was clearly recruited with the future in mind. She seemed pretty disciplined given her previous surf life saving duties etc, so glad that her coming in to a professional football training environment appears to be paying dividends already. I think quite a lot of Freo's players needed more than 6 weeks, so hopefully a few are stepping it up and make Freo more competitive - but I'm sure all the other clubs are going along similarly. It will be great to see how much they've all improved next season.

Go Dana.

From memory, the first player to get a Freo club fairest and best within 12 months of giving birth?

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk
I'm pretty sure you're right on this fact!

Grats to the girls on the wins last night. All super well deserved. And they all looked beautiful!

Great story on the Adelaide site anout how they are allocating the Crows players across the clubs to provide a strengthened and solid lical comp. Four of their interstate recruits jouned local teams staying in SA.

While in WA all of the players stayed at Swans and Coastals with no effort made to equalise the comp. Two new players (Houghton and Janz) both joined the reigning premiers, Swans.

It is no coincidence Adelaide won the comp while Freo languished near the bottom. Good administration is almost as important as coaching and players. We will fall further behind.

Great story on the Adelaide site anout how they are allocating the Crows players across the clubs to provide a strengthened and solid lical comp. Four of their interstate recruits jouned local teams staying in SA.

While in WA all of the players stayed at Swans and Coastals with no effort made to equalise the comp. Two new players (Houghton and Janz) both joined the reigning premiers, Swans.

It is no coincidence Adelaide won the comp while Freo languished near the bottom. Good administration is almost as important as coaching and players. We will fall further behind.
Good points raised. I think some of the players also play for East freo as well. Coastals won flag in 2015 and Swans beat East freo in 2016 so most of the talent concentrated in three clubs- comp is a bit lop- sided
Well next season there will be squads of 27 + 3 rookies. During May the 8 teams have the op to sign up to 22 players going forward ie need to cut 5 players. I think trading can happen during May also

These players get chance to nominate for various drafts in sept. the draft happens in Oct.

Wasn't sure Freo got their structure right last year. At least 1 ruck at 185cm tall, 3 key forwards, 2 key backs. Freo seems all midfielders.

No commentary as yet (they are advertising for a commentary team), it does make it hard to pick players out, as the vision isnt stellar either.

In the better quality games, its noticeable that while the AFLW girls are better players, there are quite a few others that are around that level. Depth in WA may be a bit better than Freos position on the ladder would indicate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Should just take her as a free agent and save our high picks for some girls who want to come back from Vic.

We need all the help we can get
Its hard to see the point of trading for her, or even what Freo could offer in a trade, as picks between states are not worth anything.

Edit: I hadnt actually considered that higher draft picks have more value, even for one club states, because they can potentially be traded to Vic clubs, looking to jump up the Vic draft order. Of course, that would require a Victorian willing to be traded interstate.

For example, GWS have the number 1 pick, if a Vic club traded for it, they would jump in front of the Dogs in the Victorian draft, and potentially get Harrington or Harris.

Last edited:
Its hard to see the point of trading for her, or even what Freo could offer in a trade, as picks between states are not worth anything.
I believe the picks do actually mean something, for example we have pick 2 (not valuable in WA draft) and if we traded that to the pies then they would effectively have pick 2 in the victorian draft which is actually valuable.

Therefore trading our picks to victorian teams can get us something in return whereas the crows would take our picks and ontrade them to victorian teams in order to get something in return.

Take her as a free agent and use picks 2, 10 and 18 to get some girls in from Vic sides (hoping that someone does want to)

I believe the picks do actually mean something, for example we have pick 2 (not valuable in WA draft) and if we traded that to the pies then they would effectively have pick 2 in the victorian draft which is actually valuable.

Therefore trading our picks to victorian teams can get us something in return whereas the crows would take our picks and ontrade them to victorian teams in order to get something in return.

Take her as a free agent and use picks 2, 10 and 18 to get some girls in from Vic sides (hoping that someone does want to)
yes, finally figure that out (by reading the fox article, I'm not that smart).

Actually, in your example, Pies would get pick 1 in Victoria, as pick 1 national is GWS. Dogs are currently first Vic club with pick 3.

Saw the trial game last weekend. McAuliffe impressed and should help the ruck. McGuire was quiet being overstaged in the forwards by Mary Smith-Bin Omar and Martina Karadada. Shayana Dorizzi was impressive for the older girls. She hasn't played any WAWFL this season though. I only really noticed the talls as i didn't really focus on the mids.

As for the Freo girls in the WAWFL I am unimpressed by the way they handle themselves. They make Boomer look like a good bloke and Jake Carlisle a shrinking violet when it comes to sledging.

Saw the trial game last weekend. McAuliffe impressed and should help the ruck. McGuire was quiet being overstaged in the forwards by Mary Smith-Bin Omar and Martina Karadada. Shayana Dorizzi was impressive for the older girls. She hasn't played any WAWFL this season though. I only really noticed the talls as i didn't really focus on the mids.

As for the Freo girls in the WAWFL I am unimpressed by the way they handle themselves. They make Boomer look like a good bloke and Jake Carlisle a shrinking violet when it comes to sledging.
Good to know. Haven't been able to find out much about this game.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back