Status
Not open for further replies.
May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
I have seen all the previews so far, they are all good, Now I have to live up to the high standards.

Its 5:15 am SA time, I dont care what time it is in WA. this will be an epic preview. I have been a long suffering freo supporter since 2001. So lets get this show on the road shall we. I just had half a bottle of Jim Beam and drunk off my bloody guts so lets bloody do this!

I have learnt many things in life. One is to never underestimate your opponents. Especially at a pub. Warning about this clip below... graphic image... WARNING!.... Vision a boot blade to the bloody balls!

Now for the serious bit....

Yeah Its carlton, they should not be underestimated. Our last clash vs Carlton was round 5 2016, I still remember watching this at my local drinking hole in SA called the Exeter pub. Tabs attempted mark which could of been pavs goal and Maynes face when he kicked a goal after the siren as we lost by under a goal. Round 5 2016, was the day that Fyfe, was injured. And didn't play after round 5 2016. It hurt like a psychological reverse boot blade to the bloody balls and our season rotted away slowly. It hurt and you don't want to feel that pain ever again.

Now its round 9 2017, what has changed... At freo, Matthew Pavlich, A freo and AFL legend retired after 352 games and 700 goals. Mayne left and headed to collingwood yet Freo got a compo pick and used it on Brad Hill. clancee pearce and Michael Barlow left. Matt Deboer and Tendai Mzungu busted their bums for 100 games each and are in the other side on the country on GWSs list. on the other hand... McCarthy Fled that prison known as GWS, Kersten Fled Geelongistan, Brad Hill fled hawthornistan after 3 flags because family meant more than winning flag and Joel Hamling fled the dogs despite a premiership medal around his neck. All 4 men fled the eastern states and went back home To Gods green Earth known as Fremantle.

this time last year, Freo are 0-8, shot with confidence, crippled with injuries with little to no leadership and unsure where that elusive win was going to come. In 2017, freo have 5 wins and 3 losses. 2 losses to Geelongistan and Port Followed by wins over the Dogs, Demons and Roos. a Loss to the scum coast Led by the AFLs Equivalent of toughman tony Abbott in Jack Darling. Then a win vs Essendon and then a thrilling win over the tigers that don't like Mundy (mornings).

The teams aren't name yet. But I dont care. I will back Ross Lyon to choose 22 Purple warriors to fight for a noble cause. 22 Soldiers that will fight the devil, to pump blood for this purple heart, 22 Worthy warriors on a noble task. 22 knights in shining armour. To give the dockers to pursue that elusive and ultimate prize. Yes its at subiaco, its time to rally the troops.

I will say one thing, win lose, draw or tank, we will go the distance... yeah, not too many freo supporters are Michael Bolton fans... But this song sums it up for me. Its called Go The Distance.

I have often dreamed of a far off place
Where a hero's welcome would be waiting for me
Where the crowds will cheer when they see my face
And a voice keeps saying, this is where I'm meant to be

I'll be there someday, I can go the distance
I will find my way if I can be strong
I know every mile, will be worth my while
When I go the distance, I'll be right where I belong

Down an unknown road to embrace my fate
Though that road may wander, it will lead me to you
And a thousand years would be worth the wait
It might take a lifetime but somehow I'll see it through

And I won't look back, I can go the distance
And I'll stay on track, no, I won't accept defeat
It's an uphill slope but I won't lose hope
'Til I go the distance, and my journey is complete

But to look beyond the glory is the hardest part
For a hero's strength is measured by his heart

Like a shooting star, I will go the distance
I will search the world, I will face its harms
I don't care how far, I can go the distance
'Til I find my hero's welcome, waiting in your arms

I will search the world, I will face its harms
'Til I find my hero's welcome, waiting in your arms

Win, Lose, draw or tank, I will support this club until the last drop of my blood exits by god damn body.

Freomaniacs Memorable moment: Round 22: 2010

There were many freo wins vs carlton. But this one stood out. We got pumped by the Hawks in our typical trip to tassie resting 11 players including Matthew Pavlich. We got copped by the Victorian Media. Ironic... we got copped crap for allegedly tanking one game in 2010. Our opponents in carlton were alledgy "tanking" from 2005-7.

Last round of 2010 had something on the line. YES freo had already had a finals spot. A win vs John Elliots army meant we got a home final. Yeah it was tough, it was close, it was a struggle. But I wouldn't have it any other way. Life wasn't meant to be easy, It wasn't meant to be fair either. Freo won 13.15.93 to 13.9.87.

This meant a Rematch vs the hawks on the 1st round of the finals, But it was at subiaco oval, Freo won that day then lost next week to Geelong in a semi final at the MCG.

How will Freo win this?

Backline: Back 6 has had mixed results, Ibbo, Spurr have had their moments. Logue had a few games there. Tucker has slowly developed. Hamling and Johnson has stood tall as KPDs.

Midfield: Brad hill has been nothing short but brilliant. He created a domino effect, in a positive way. He added pace in a slow midfield. His kicking has been good passing it to the likes of Kersten, McCarthy, walters and Langdon. Fyfe has gone back to his best, similar to when he won a brownlow too. Lachie Never ceases to amaze me.

Forward line: Its been different. Pavs retired, Ballantyne has done his hamstring. Kersten and McCarthy were the 2 main talls in the 1st few rounds. Then tabs has got hands of stone and caught everything left right and centre. Walters and Langdon have busted their guts out too. We are not reliant on one guy but share the load with 4-5 blokes up forward. Thats a good thing.

Freo are not the team like 2016, crippled with injury or shot with confidence. freo will go in as warm favourites. I wouldn't be surprised if freo win this in a close game. I wouldn't be surprised if freo lose this narrowly either.

Win, lose, draw or tank, I expect all 22 players to put in 100% of their blood, sweat and tears of this game.

Prediction: Dockers by 20 points.

This will be no walk in the park for Freo as Carlton are going ok at the moment.

We have had a different player kick a late match winner in our last 3 wins, who will it be this week if we win?

Fyfe to pull in a big mark and put it through for a goal inside the last 2 minutes for me.

I mentioned in another thread how concerned I am about this match; but Jesus the over-inflated arrogance on the Carltank board really makes me want to spank those pretenders.

If their solid form over here has any mental weight on our players then it should really have little to no bearing on our trade-recruits; the messianic Billy, Cam Mac, Hamling and Kersten - that also goes for our young guns in Blakely, Weller, Langdon, Hughes and Crozier.

My Prediction: The game to be even up until 3qtr time, followed by a 10 goal to none haul in the final term.

Freo by 74 points.

At the time how big of a loss was Alex Silvagni felt to be? He's played like a superstar for us since coming in. Probably been our best defender all year even though he's only played 3 matches.

Was he perceived as a big loss or just a fringe player moving?

At the time how big of a loss was Alex Silvagni felt to be? He's played like a superstar for us since coming in. Probably been our best defender all year even though he's only played 3 matches.

I've always rated him highly, so have others on here. It's absolutely no surprise to me to see him playing so well, he's done it for us many times. He's a great player and if he can get a good run with injuries, should get some recognition playing for Carlton.

Wish him all the best, expect when he plays against Freo.

Fringe. No way he'd be in ahead of Hamling or Johnson for us. Our best young KPD (APearce) is out injured again this season. But even so we have 3 decent young KPD prospects in the 2s that we'd probably play ahead of him if a spot opened up.

I've always rated him highly, so have others on here. It's absolutely no surprise to me to see him playing so well, he's done it for us many times. He's a great player and if he can get a good run with injuries, should get some recognition playing for Carlton.

Wish him all the best, expect when he plays against Freo.
Have to say Collins will probably be in the same boat next year, if he goes to another club needing
backman, the Vic media will be all over it.

If we play like we've played the last few weeks we should walk away with the 4 points. Hopefully Hill if he's 100% comes back in, wouldn't risk him if even he's just off it and save him for Adelaide. If he does come back however, Hill/Hill/Walters combo will be spectacular to watch.

McCarthy kicked 6 against these guys in the JLT series so hopefully he recaptures that form. He's a breakout game away from realising what he's actually capable of. I can see one of Tabs/Kersten/Cam kick 4+ if we can get on top in the midfielder battle.

Blakely should go to Cripps. He's probably been their best mid this year (not that I've watched a lot of their games) and would be a good match up. I think we actually have the better team but Carlton have been good this year and last years game still burns. If we can get Fyfe/Johnno/Neale/Mundy/Sandi to all stand up then I reckon we'll win comfortably.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I get the feeling he was forced out by our list management approach in promoting youth. So i wouldnt say he was a loss at all despite how good he can play.

Forced out by list management, both he and Barlow could easily still be playing for us but we had depth in these positions and enough players over 28 in these positions that they had to be moved on to allow some youngsters to play, honestly they were just the unlucky ones out of contract.

I was fairly confident that they would play well in their new teams if they got picked up (as well as DeBoer who hasn't had a run yet due to injury)

..and with Alex Silvagni at Carlton it's important to remember he's a rookie elevation due to Ciaran Byrnes knee. Byrne is due to return shortly.

There is a chance he may be put back to rookie and therefore be unavailable for selection. I believe we get another rookie elevation spot shortly but we may use it on Le Bois.

His best year was circa 2010. I, along with many Freo fans, thought he was going to be in our best crop of players. Great team man, courageous as hell and his kicking seemed to be ok that year. Pretty sure he kicked a few but maybe wrong.

Then Lyon came in and Silvagni for whatever reason, injury/suspension/not-a-good-fit/Dawson, never really got a look in and was always fringe/depth. Many of us were praying for Silvagni to get a chance during Lyon's tenure so he could prove himself but when he did we were let down. His performances under Lyon were not memorable.

That said, I was hoping we'd keep him for depth. Think he still has something and he is showing that at the Blues. However his kicking seems to be getting worse, not sure why.

His best year was circa 2010. I, along with many Freo fans, thought he was going to be in our best crop of players. Great team man, courageous as hell and his kicking seemed to be ok that year. Pretty sure he kicked a few but maybe wrong.

Then Lyon came in and Silvagni for whatever reason, injury/suspension/not-a-good-fit/Dawson, never really got a look in and was always fringe/depth. Many of us were praying for Silvagni to get a chance during Lyon's tenure so he could prove himself but when he did we were let down. His performances under Lyon were not memorable.

That said, I was hoping we'd keep him for depth. Think he still has something and he is showing that at the Blues. However his kicking seems to be getting worse, not sure why.
Kicking well for 88% DE over 3 games.

Short kicks though.

Kicking well for 88% DE over 3 games.

Short kicks though.
What's Zac Dawson's DE?

Saw him kick an absolute flour bag into your fwd 50 in his first game, think it was against the Bombers (or was it a JLT game). Turned out ok as one of your forwards marked it but nowhere near where it was meant to go. Something snaps inside him when there is pressure on the kick.

What's Zac Dawson's DE?

Saw him kick an absolute flour bag into your fwd 50 in his first game, think it was against the Bombers (or was it a JLT game). Turned out ok as one of your forwards marked it but nowhere near where it was meant to go. Something snaps inside him when there is pressure on the kick.

No idea.

All I can tell is he's looked very assured when kicking.

The best Ballantyne moment
the best moment full stop

Great stuff OP, ya done good

I'd like to see us pay close attention to Docherty this week, Brady Grey and his physicality imo are needed to work him over a bit. Hugely important player for them and if we can quell him and his run from defence it'll go a long way to winning this one. Going to be a total slugfest on a wet deck, Carlton have a strong inside brigade so the midfield battle will be a beauty and Sandi and Kreuzer will be another interesting subplot. Two best rucks atm for me

Expecting a brutal encounter with Freo pulling away to win by 2-3 goals and both teams to struggle the following week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back