Education & Reference Public and Private schooling

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 20, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Celtics , England FC
I'm doing an essay on public and private schooling for university and I need some qualitative data.

If you guys can help me out that would be fantastic.

What type of schooling did you attend? How was your experience? and would you send your children to public or private?

Cheers in advance

Was private from the age of 4 (pre-prep) through to year 12.

Pretentious beings aplenty, highly competitive in secondary school but the students usually come from great families, with the staff mostly carrying a wealth of experience in their role(s). The quality of my education was terrific and I had many great co-curricular and school-extended extracurricular experiences.

If I have kids, sending them to a private school right from the outset will be a non-negotiable expense.

I went to private school and am currently at University of Melbourne.

I thought our school was great. It was much better than the public schools where there were fights aplenty.

I would definitely send my children to a private school, I want them to have the best schooling possible.

I went to private school and am currently at University of Melbourne.

I thought our school was great. It was much better than the public schools where there were fights aplenty.

I would definitely send my children to a private school, I want them to have the best schooling possible.

Thanks for the response mate! It's interesting to have some private schooling perspective :)

Went to a public primary school. It was fine overall I'd say.

The public high school was less good. Lived in a peri-urban area so the school was mostly normal kids but with a large and disruptive proportion of dropkicks. Couldn't count how many lessons were completely derailed by bogans making it about themselves and getting in loud arguments with the teachers. Location also meant it was full of 40-year-old and up teachers with an eye on retirement who'd long ago lost their passion or incentive. Both those things definitely had a negative impact by the time I got to Years 11 and 12 and I was ill-prepared for the 'serious' stuff.

My parents were a bigger influence on how well I did however.

I'm doing an essay on public and private schooling for university and I need some qualitative data.

If you guys can help me out that would be fantastic.

What type of schooling did you attend? How was your experience? and would you send your children to public or private?

Cheers in advance

I attended a public school and it was an extremely rough school which didn't really lend itself to getting a good education rather just surviving. We then made the decision to send our kids to private schools but tbh if I had my time again I probably would of just gone for public during their primary years and switched to private for high school.

tbh if I had my time again I probably would of just gone for public during their primary years and switched to private for high school.

That seems fairly common from what I hear and read. Think because the turdball kids don't develop the spine to disrupt everything until the teenage years (when they become more aware of what is pissing them off in life).

Perhaps my views on this topic may change once I become a father but right now I'm of the mind that I'll be sending them into the public school system. I don't like the "closed-off" aspect of private schooling. I think the public school system promotes diversity, community and secularity, amongst other things, more than private schools do.

However with all that said, I'll be making my decision based on what will benefit my kids the most. That decision will have to wait to see how the educational climate is regarding what ever policies, curriculum and funding are in place at the time.

I was brought up through the public school system, from kindergarten through to year 12. I think I turned out alright.

I can't speak from experience about private schooling but public school did come with a lot of disruptions at times. Something I wouldn't want my kids to go through as far as hanging with bad eggs and poorly-trained teachers, but I also wouldn't want them hanging around pretentious and self-righteous kids either.

Last edited:
I went to a public school for primary and private high school.

Both had their ups and downs.

For my daughter who is in grade 1, she's been going to the same private school i attended.
We feel it's been really beneficial for her in a smaller school and she's made great friends.
The teacher's seem to pay more attention to each child's needs and development as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I went to fairly well-rated public schools and it was a good experience. Still had plenty or one-on-one guidance from teachers and don't feel the curriculum lacked anything. Private school isn't really a big thing over here. Even if it was, I'd most likely send my kids to public school - particularly at primary level.

I went to a private coeducational Montessori pre-school, the local public coeducational primary school and then a prestigious single-sex private school in late primary school/all of highschool. I enjoyed all 3 but the quality of education was certainly vastly superior at the former and latter schools, so I'd prefer to send my future kids to a prestigious private school (at least in highschool, and even earlier if I can afford it).

Full public.

Fine experience but lacked any push for students to succeed. People weren't ready for year 11 when they got to year 12, it felt like we were behind. Teachers bypassed deadlines. Self motivation was the only way to succeed.

Would send kids to private.

Was private school. public in primary initially.

A fairly low end private school so I got looked down from the proper private school boys and thought of as a snob by the public school lads.

Most of my education was self taught. I hated school. My only care was for the sport.

Went to a public school for primary and one of those elite* all boy schools for high school.

I wouldn't send my child to a same sex school because I think that the mild benefit of better grades through less distractions is valid although its loss of social aspect is not worth it.

Also for a school that costs 10k+ a year, some of the teachers and facilities were bog average.

When I have kids I will have no hesitation in sending them to a public school, but if I don't live in an area with a decent high school I would consider a co-ed private catholic school etc and let them know to not pay attention to any of the religious crap.

The thousands of $$$ private schools can cost I could spend on my children more selectively and beneficially.

Last edited:
Home schooling easily the best for a child's development IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back