Welcome Harley Bennell (To make long awaited Dockers Debut!)

Remove this Banner Ad

Does anyone believe that if an audit was done, Bennell would have $5K less in his account? This is just put out by the club to silence the loud mouth frogs in the media. I like everything the club has done here.
It would be pretax income anyway, just like the other fines.

Kind of agree. What have we done to change his fortunes? Other than more rest, what other treatment has he received? Why will it be different this time?

Yeah you know what i mean. Do we ease his training load? Not so much repetitive sprints?

I honestly don't see him getting through 1 wafl game.

Since we got him, we've been waiting to unleash that x factor we haven't had for years.But in all honesty brad hill has shown some x factor, our forward hasn't looked this good since 06 and we have found a way to close games.

The team seems to be really bonding right now and they all seem to be real mates playing for each other. Its an exciting time to be a freo supporter. The bennell fiasco is bad, but it's one bad egg. Lets just keep winning and maybe just maybe..play September. That's more important than any individual.

Yeah you know what i mean. Do we ease his training load? Not so much repetitive sprints?

I honestly don't see him getting through 1 wafl game.

Since we got him, we've been waiting to unleash that x factor we haven't had for years.But in all honesty brad hill has shown some x factor, our forward hasn't looked this good since 06 and we have found a way to close games.

The team seems to be really bonding right now and they all seem to be real mates playing for each other. Its an exciting time to be a freo supporter. The bennell fiasco is bad, but it's one bad egg. Lets just keep winning and maybe just maybe..play September. That's more important than any individual.
Yep, but guys like bennell dont grow on trees, so its human nature to put up with more. I for one could not have dreamed our recruits would have performed so well, particularly hamling and kersten. To think how young our team is, and how quickly we have turned it around is staggering. Harley is the cream on the cake. This list is capable of a flag. Not necessarily this year.

I don't understand what he's done wrong? He just went out and spoke to a player (relative?) during a break... I've been down at Box Hill and seen Hawks players doing the same thing... I would have thought it's a good thing... what's the issue here?

I don't get it either, some calls of him 'staggering' and acting out but I didn't see any of that.

I don't understand what he's done wrong? He just went out and spoke to a player (relative?) during a break... I've been down at Box Hill and seen Hawks players doing the same thing... I would have thought it's a good thing... what's the issue here?
Asked the cameraman not to film him, which hardly anybody seems to be reporting which has made this whole ordeal pretty confusing.

Would assume he is in trouble for that and not really in trouble for speaking to Traye on field, hell it looks like he waited until the huddle was over and spectators are allowed on the ground at breaks in the WAFL anyway.

EDIT: but honestly what it comes down to is this is Harley and the WA media love a story, nothing will stop this except getting him out onto the field

I don't think it's that. I think it's that he had words with the Channel 7 cameraman at the game and later interfered with some equipment.

WAtoday is really going full * with the clickbait today.

I still actually can't really fathom what he's done wrong here. I've seen randoms poking around WAFL huddles and i've abused channel 7 cameramen quite directly. Of course I am not a public figure with a notable past so i'm assuming that's just it.

WAtoday is really going full ****** with the clickbait today.

I still actually can't really fathom what he's done wrong here. I've seen randoms poking around WAFL huddles and i've abused channel 7 cameramen quite directly. Of course I am not a public figure with a notable past so i'm assuming that's just it.

It seems he was off his **** in the middle of the day on tv, and abusive to a tv cameraman. Let's not go all Eagles fan denial on this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It seems he was off his **** in the middle of the day on tv, and abusive to a tv cameraman. Let's not go all Eagles fan denial on this

Oh look we should be under no illusions about the extra-curricular activities of many of our current and former players, not just Harley.

But I am struggling to see what you're suggesting here. Didn't seem to be sauced from the vision and reports. Maybe the club's quite harsh penalty is evidence in favour that he was, but you'd assume the media would just report that if it was known. Not really seeing the offence commensurate with the response on this occasion.

That would be eating away at him,he would so want to be a part of that and his body is letting him down.
He would be so frustrated that running off the rails a bit would be understandable.
Though he really should try and be a little more discreet about it.
Walking around in public looking intoxicated is not a good look especially if you have already had a minor indiscretion recently.

Oh look we should be under no illusions about the extra-curricular activities of many of our current and former players, not just Harley.

But I am struggling to see what you're suggesting here. Didn't seem to be sauced from the vision and reports. Maybe the club's quite harsh penalty is evidence in favour that he was, but you'd assume the media would just report that if it was known. Not really seeing the offence commensurate with the response on this occasion.

Did you hear the club denying the accusations of him being drunk/high, as made by Langdon etc? No neither did I.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've heard from enough sources I trust that he was definitely pissed at the game on Saturday. Not having a drink, drunk by game time Saturday afternoon. He's obviously prone to having a few too many at times, hardly the first AFL player to have that problem.
As Ross says - support the person, challenge the behaviour. Its that simple IMO.

Did you hear the club denying the accusations of him being drunk/high, as made by Langdon etc? No neither did I.

No, but i'm still not particularly convinced by that. The club has seemed pretty recalcitrant to make any statements about him unless circumstances really force it. Who knows really what happened, compared to previous incidents though this one seems pretty who gives a flying s**t.

Perception is Reality!

While the Eagles biased media is filling the news with negative clips and articles of Harley, Freo needed to respond in some way, irrelevant of what they believe. By declaring they have done an investigation, fined Harley and recommended that he seek professional help, they are one step closer to being able to terminate his contract (which still has almost 2 years to go at a substantial cost to Freo's TPP salary cap).

Since Harley's repeat calf injuries in November 2016, I'm sad to say, I've struggled to believe how he is ever going to debut for Freo.
The older he gets and the more calf injuries and scar tissue he has, the harder it is going to be for him to overcome these problems.
Even after his visit to Germany and treatment on his bad right calf, he still managed to re-injure his left calf in April.
As reported, all these injuries must be absolutely devastating for Harley. Allowing him personal leave in April screamed to me that Freo medical staff were also doubting whether Harley's calf problems can be resolved. During that personal leave, on his way to the Gold Coast, without the close eye and support of Freo, he managed to find himself in some trouble when he was denied his flight due to alcohol intoxication.

So, Ross Lyon's current public declaration that Harley will be playing for Peel in 5 or 6 weeks may be pie in the sky, but it is a very good strategy. It shows Harley the club believes in him and will support him. I think the medical staff may need to treat Harley very different now that they understand the usual rehab and calf strengthening and loading processes just aren't working. I think they may believe time may be the best option. But Harley has shown that he is possibly not the sort of player who can walk away from the club, rest up his calves and come back in 6-12 months time (and I don't think he deserves to be judged harshly for that). So I can see the fitness staff taking a very soft approach to Harley. Do a light rehab, get him running and let him play limited minutes for Peel reserves. He may need to do that for the rest of the 2017 season, but I think that would be the healthiest environment both physically and mentally for Harley in 2017. If he can get through the rest of the 2017 season without any new calf strains, then he may just have a chance of getting through a 2018 pre-season and then anything's possible.

Irrelevant of what I believe, I still hope Harley and Freo continue to strive to overcome his injuries and I still dream of the day he plays a full game for Freo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back