News Crows buy professional eSports team - Update: SOLD

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.afc.com.au/news/2017-05-17/crows-strike-esports-agreement

This is an excellent idea. eSports is growing massively and has an international audience. Money is bring thrown around in eSports right now like nothing else. Audiences are enormous.

A truly fantastic way to branch out and attempt to increase revenue streams in new ways.
"The Adelaide Football Club has entered into an agreement to acquire a professional eSports team in what is a first for Australian mainstream sport.

Sydney-based Legacy eSports is one of eight top-tier League of Legends professional teams competing in the Oceanic Pro League (OPL)."

"Crows Chief Executive Andrew Fagan said involvement in the rapidly growing eSports industry would broaden the scope of Adelaide’s fan engagement, brand and commercial platform.

“It is hugely popular with millennials and there are enhanced opportunities for current and new corporate partners to engage with younger, digital and social media savvy audiences,” Fagan said.

“In many ways, eSports represents the intersection of technology, media and entertainment, which are all a key part of our strategic focus.

“Across the globe there are sporting clubs, billionaire investors and athletes becoming involved in eSports with a view to growing their brand and reach, driving commercial outcomes and engaging with new fans. "

“League of Legends eSports was the most obvious choice for our Club to get involved in, as it is one of the most developed eSports leagues in the region.

"We will bring our expertise in elite and professional sport to support the high performance development of the Legacy players who are driven to achieve success in their field.

“We will also devote resources to support the growth of the Legacy brand and their ability to engage effectively with their passionate fan base.”

Fagan added the investment in eSports is another example of the Club’s commitment to both innovation and growth.

“Our traditional revenue streams are obviously strong, as evidenced through our record attendances, membership, corporate hospitality, sponsorship and merchandise return,” he said.

“While we will forever remain focused on our core objectives of winning football matches, we need to continue to diversify our activities and programs.

“Last year we successfully established a team in the AFLW that represented the Club proudly and supported increased engagement with our female supporter base.

"Our investment in Legacy is obviously very different and new in this country but will become a very important part of our Club."

Riot Games Head of eSports Daniel Ringland said the agreement was a significant moment for all eSports fans in the Oceanic Pro League.

“Not only are the Adelaide Crows the first ‘traditional’ sporting club to expand into the Oceanic Pro League but they are a club built on both excellence in performance and dedication to their fans, which is why Legacy is the perfect partner for them going forward,” Ringland said.

Last edited:

Is it the China League?

This, it strikes me as a China like stray from what we try and achieve.

I suppose it has the benefit of not impacting the core business in the direct manner that China has for Port, but still potentially poses the sideshow/distraction to the off field

the oceanic league is a complete joke. Seriously doubting there's much money in this for the club.

I think extending the Crows brand into other entertainment opportunities is a good idea.

Diversify and attract new eyeballs. This is similar to having an AFLW team or Netball side.

Sits quite close to our core business. Much closer than trying to be a small business liaison.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can someone translate to English for me please?

What exactly have we bought?

A team of professionals that plays video games for money. People watch these professionals online and in arenas. The teams get sponsorships and so forth

This, it strikes me as a China like stray from what we try and achieve.

I suppose it has the benefit of not impacting the core business in the direct manner that China has for Port, but still potentially poses the sideshow/distraction to the off field
Showing your age :p

It's nothing like China. Buying Legacy is like buying a million names. You can do the maths.

Hope you don't mind me barging in but I think this is a fantastic initiative and well done to your club. I have my fingers crossed that my club is talking to the AFL about getting involved in this in some way, sorely need another avenue for exposure, this whole football thing is slow-going... :oops:

Nevertheless, women's league AND eSports, way to get on the front foot!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back