Balic granted indefinite leave [Traded to Melbourne for pick 66]

Remove this Banner Ad

Members of the media who throw around damaging speculation which is ultimately proven to be incorrect should be completely ostracised by the club.

What would be really nice is if the general public grew up and respected that a statement that says a "personal issue" means that the issue is personal and none of our damn business.

Yes, we have an interest, but we don't have ownership of Harley, and certainly have no claims whatsoever on any of Harley's family. If Harley and/or the club think that the public ought to know, then they'll release more information.

Well said. Even public figures are entitled to a private life, but it must be so much harder with social media and the demands of the 24/7 news cycle. A little empathy and humanity would go a long way. Yes, they're paid to entertain us when they are on the footy field playing football, but certainly not when they are off it.

A thread like this always gets populated by the holier than thou warriors who deep down are rubberneckers like everyone else, dying to know what is going on, they visit the thread every 10 minutes for the latest update in case someone has the inside goss, but then tut disapprovingly about others daring to express their curiosity or theories.
As the saying goes, uncertainty is more unpleasant than unpleasant certainty. The club puts out some bland PR statement and this is the result.

A thread like this always gets populated by the holier than thou warriors who deep down are rubberneckers like everyone else, dying to know what is going on, they visit the thread every 10 minutes for the latest update in case someone has the inside goss, but then tut disapprovingly about others daring to express their curiosity or theories.
As the saying goes, uncertainty is more unpleasant than unpleasant certainty. The club puts out some bland PR statement and this is the result.

Yes I tend to agree with this from start to finish. If people didn't desperately want to know they wouldn't be on here including me, you and everyone else.

Having said that the club may have it's hands tied and can't comment further on it. If it's parents wishes, Balics wishes or testing positive to recreational drugs.

Maybe its a family illness and Fremantle are sending a message to Jesse Hogan that "this is how a real club deals with these issues" after Jesse was only given a few days off to spend with his dying father.

That said, I am not privy to Jesse's situation, but just struck me as odd that whilst his old man was dying he was still in Melb playing footy until the last week or so. I wonder how much of that was pressure from Melbourne to stay vs Jesse wanting to keep busy.
What a disgraceful comment!
STFU then if you're not privy!

Balic has copped the worst of the AFL media in his short career.

Remember when he was drafted and he made a comment about his Dad jokingly offering him $40,000 to stay at home and the media took it as gospel and blew it up?

And now apparently personal leave equates to being undisciplined or methamphetamine.

Poor bastard.

Balic has copped the worst of the AFL media in his short career.

Remember when he was drafted and he made a comment about his Dad jokingly offering him $40,000 to stay at home and the media took it as gospel and blew it up?

And now apparently personal leave equates to being undisciplined or methamphetamine.

Poor bastard.

Yep. Absolute friggin joke. Even when is dad came out and stated that it was a joke the headline became "Dad downplays sadness of son leaving" or something stupid. I want nothing more then for him to succeed because he seriously is a talent. But now I want him to succeed purely to give an F-U to the media.

I dont feel like that. I come to these threads to identify the dumber gossip mongers and tut tut at them because this thread and footy 'media' will be the last to know what is really happening with Balic.

Would be really sad if that was the last game Balic played for Freo. He's a really talented player (skills, size, athleticism, and footy brain) and he potentially has a long career ahead of him. Personally I hope it works out for him if he is in a Cam Mac situation (comment not based on any facts) and returns to play for a Vic club. It would still suck for Freo and us supporters though. There's no denying or hiding that fact.

If he does go at the end of the year, while good for him, and sad for us, I hope we continue on this grab for WA players like JJ, Adams, McGovern and others. The more down the track the AFL goes with increasing player movement, the more we should continue to use this to our advantage with a focus on WA guys less likely to leave.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Footy Show Barrett says he will request trade.

What, as a matter of fact? And based on what exactly?

Don't watch that pile of puke of a show, but it wouldn't be the first time Barrett is completely wrong. It's not impossible, but unless he's got that from Balic or his manager (highly unlikely), then it's just joining dots ... and like most 2 Y/O's joining dots, he's done it in a completely random way that only makes sense to what he's thinking in his head.

Barrett did break the whole McCarthy situation (iirc). I will take this with a grain of salt, but I always got the sense Balic was prone to going back to Victoria. I hope this isn't Roberton mk II.

Barrett probably has no idea. Why would a player even mention trades so early in the year? Their club wouldn't play them knowing they're not part of future plans.

Sounds like pure speculation from Barrett. The club have told the media to leave it alone. Balic's Manager has said that he will be back in about Month and the West Australian quoted the club as saying the leave had nothing to do with ill discipline. Then there are heaps of the Freo players liking his picture with his dad on IG.

In saying all this I wouldn't be surprised if he did request a trade. He is out of contract and whatever the reason for his indefinite leave (homesickness, ill family member etc) he may wish to be back with family.

I'm hopeful of an outcome like Elliott Yeo returning to Perth for a second round pick (that is if he does wish to return home). Is about fair for Balic, given that is where we picked him and he has shown plenty this year after overcoming injury. Best case scenario he returns in a month plays well for Peel and then back in our side, and decides that Freo is best place for him.

The Dylan Roberton situation is different. He had come off a poor year and there weren't many takers (from memory he was signed in one of the last Delisted FA lodgements, probably more so because we only officially Delisted him at a later stage). St Kilda was the one club that was a bit interested and they were still ropable at us for stealing their coach and Zac Dawson in PSD the year before. They were always going to go the free Delisted FA route.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back