Autopsy Mundy microwaves Richmond by 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Loved the Belmont boy - dead seat legend but Jesus those fumbles on forward 50 still give me nightmares.

Hard to imagine Cam Mac, Kersten or even Taberner giving up a game winning goal opportunity like that.
Lets not get carried away

I only just got to see the game on replay. Everything has been said but i just want to add that Fyfe is on the verge of a huge game IMO. His timing is just a bit out at some of the ballups and his marking is just not quite there.
We also have inside and outside mids that can push forward which is going to be massive come finals time.
All the pressure games these guys have won and winning at the G is all we can do to prepare for the big stage.
I think we'll be favorites for maybe the first time this year this weekend. Really, really hope we continue the good form and post a solid win. Only negative this season is our %. First world problem though.
You don't think that's rushing it a bit!

Well every footy commentator in the country has had a go at dissecting the last 90 seconds of our game but they've all spoken from the perspective of how the Tigers lost it. Now admittedly Richmond got it wrong but only a few weeks ago the Dockers committed the unforgivable sin of constantly kicking to the Weags outnumber in that first quarter. Everybody in the country would have known that you can't bomb it into the F50 against the Weags but we did it anyway. A couple of weeks later in a crunch moment the instinctive thing to do when you're streaming towards goal with a few seconds left on the clock would have been to kick to the top of the square. But instead we clustered at FF and left plenty of space to lead into, now fortunately the Tigers manned up, but well done Lachie for kicking to the space and not kicking to the outnumber at the top of the square. The Tigers might have got it wrong but our midfield, half backs, half forwards and deep forwards all got it right.
Breathtaking stuff.

Just watched a replay, got back from Melbourne today then drove home I gotta say , footy weekends away , great fun but the liver suffers a little
All the fuss about the biased commentary is baseless, Eddie does a good job pumping up the spectacle of a great close game of footy, people gotta stop playing the victim here ,it's for losers IMO
I could never understand why people even care what they say
Fyfe was bloody good , sets such a high bar for himself to live up to , the moment where he low fived that kid in the crowd was gold
I stood in the thick of the Richmond crowd, oh what fun it was
It must have been something else to have been there.

Mind you, when either geelong or the bulldogs lose next week there is room in the eight for us if we win. Are we actually really good? Are we practicing winning close finishes, because as we know ross's fear of losing a close game is hol
I only just got to see the game on replay. Everything has been said but i just want to add that Fyfe is on the verge of a huge game IMO. His timing is just a bit out at some of the ballups and his marking is just not quite there.
We also have inside and outside mids that can push forward which is going to be massive come finals time.
All the pressure games these guys have won and winning at the G is all we can do to prepare for the big stage.
I think we'll be favorites for maybe the first time this year this weekend. Really, really hope we continue the good form and post a solid win. Only negative this season is our %. First world problem though.
You might not be rushing things at all as it seems. Those who dare win as they say.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think it's been mentioned by anybody as yet, but when you watch the Mundy final goal, take note of where he takes the mark and where the mark is finally set.
From what I can see, Mundy ends up kicking on an angle about 5 to 10 degrees tighter (about 5 metres closer to the boundary) and about 5 metres further out than where he should have. On the replay you can clearly see when Mundy takes the mark, then the opposing Richmond player stumbles forward a couple of steps, falls on the ground and puts a divit in the ground about 5 metres after Mundy marks it. You then see the umpire initially set the mark fairly close to that divit, but then with Mundy's back turned, you see the umpire walk further across to the boundary to set the mark a few metres further around (to make the kick more difficult).

I mention this, because I have previously posted how Freo need to get smarter by quickly getting the umpire to clearly show where the mark is, both when kicking over the mark and when standing the mark to reduce any chance of umpire and opposition cheating/bias against us.

Lucky for us, Mundy was still good enough anyways.

Last edited:
I don't think it's been mentioned by anybody as yet, but when you watch the Mundy final goal, take note of where he takes the mark and where the mark is finally set.
From what I can see, Mundy ends up kicking on an angle about 5 to 10 degrees tighter (about 5 metres closer to the boundary) and about 5 metres further out than where he should have. On the replay you can clearly see when Mundy takes the mark, then the opposing Richmond player stumbles forward a couple of steps, falls on the ground and puts a divit in the ground about 5 metres after Mundy marks it. You then see the umpire initially set the mark fairly close to that divit, but then with Mundy's back turned, you see the umpire walk further across to the boundary to set the mark a few metres further around (to make the kick more difficult).

I mention this, because I have previously posted how Freo need to get smarter by quickly getting the umpire to clearly show where the mark is, both when kicking over the mark and when standing the mark to reduce any chance of umpire and opposition cheating/bias against us.

Lucky for us, Mundy was still good enough anyways.
You're dead right. You can even see the divot on the ground the richmond defender made in the contest a few metres to the right when mundy is taking his run-up.

As soon as Mundy took that mark, was pretty much certain he would nail the kick. He's just that calm and confident within himself. Ever since that miss against Geelong in 2014, he has really matured. Such a beautiful kicking action too. Never in doubt

I don't think that Mundy has changed at all - he's always been a cool head. I just think that people reference the Geelong kick in the same way they do Fyfe's goalkicking from the 2013 GF

I don't think that Mundy has changed at all - he's always been a cool head. I just think that people reference the Geelong kick in the same way they do Fyfe's goalkicking from the 2013 GF

In fact if Mundy had of set the mark against Geelong he would have kicked it. Joel Selwood crimped over the mark by about 3m.

Last few games I've noticed a few players pointing out to the umpire where they've taken a mark, particularly Johnson who we all know loves a good point.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back