2nds 2017 - Peel Thunder

Remove this Banner Ad

There's some double up names of the Fremantle list, sometimes I'm not quite sure which player is being posted about when Ryan, Darcy and Griffin are being talked about

Luke Ryan Nyhuis
Jon Griffin Logue
Sean Darcy Tucker
Don't really matter , Webb said they are all solid.

There's some double up names of the Fremantle list, sometimes I'm not quite sure which player is being posted about when Ryan, Darcy and Griffin are being talked about

Luke Ryan Nyhuis
Jon Griffin Logue
Sean Darcy Tucker
Not to mention Cam, Pearce, Hill, Hayden and Harley

B Dawson ~ Collins ~ Nyhuis

HB Ryan ~ Logue ~ Bray

C Bennell ~ Morris ~ Duman

HF Ugle ~ Cox ~ Ballantyne

F Darcy ~ Bell ~ Jetta

R Griffin ~ Deluca ~ O'Brien

I/C Lawler Thorne Hancock Matthews Humble Strnadica Tassone

Two more to come in from the Freo emergencies. Assuming Sheridan + Suban.

Ballas with his first WAFL game since 2009. And good to see Deluca back at League level.

Might be worth watching just to see Ballantyne running around for Peel again. I agree about Dawson, he is a liability in defence and is an OK WAFL forward.

Hope they swing Dawson forward again .
I think the more important question is who you are going to support when Nyhuis lines up on Ninyette on the weekend?

I really like Cody but reckon he might struggle against Ryan.

edit - both were in the WAFL Team of the Week last week...

FORWARD POCKET – CODY NINYETTE (Perth)
The dynamic small forward is one of a host of exciting youngsters that the Demons are giving plenty of opportunities to in 2017 and it's paying off. He has played every game this season and had kicked nine goals before Saturday's win over Claremont where he delivered 15 disposals, four tackles, five inside-50 entries and four crucial goals.

INTERCHANGE – RYAN NYHUIS (Peel Thunder)
The small defender played a crucial role in Peel Thunder's breakthrough premiership last year. After a slow start to 2017 having missed the opening month, his form is building impressively again. In Saturday's win over Peel, he not only restricted the lively Taryce Stewart to three kicks and no score but had 13 disposals and four marks himself.

Last edited:
I think the more important question is who you are going to support when Nyhuis lines up on Ninyette on the weekend?

I really like Cody but reckon he might struggle against Ryan.

edit - both were in the WAFL Team of the Week last week...

FORWARD POCKET – CODY NINYETTE (Perth)
The dynamic small forward is one of a host of exciting youngsters that the Demons are giving plenty of opportunities to in 2017 and it's paying off. He has played every game this season and had kicked nine goals before Saturday's win over Claremont where he delivered 15 disposals, four tackles, five inside-50 entries and four crucial goals.

INTERCHANGE – RYAN NYHUIS (Peel Thunder)
The small defender played a crucial role in Peel Thunder's breakthrough premiership last year. After a slow start to 2017 having missed the opening month, his form is building impressively again. In Saturday's win over Peel, he not only restricted the lively Taryce Stewart to three kicks and no score but had 13 disposals and four marks himself.
I think Nyhuis is more than ready for a shot at the big time and I think if we were sitting 12th-14th on the ladder he'd be very close to getting a game. Have a feeling the 'kids get picked if it's a 50/50 call' is going to be put on the backburner with top 8 being so close.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Nyhuis is more than ready for a shot at the big time and I think if we were sitting 12th-14th on the ladder he'd be very close to getting a game. Have a feeling the 'kids get picked if it's a 50/50 call' is going to be put on the backburner with top 8 being so close.
I'd like to see him get a chance. My instincts are whispering 'deslisted without playing a game' however.

I'd like to see him get a chance. My instincts are whispering 'deslisted without playing a game' however.
You could be right but with question marks over the futures of Ibbo, Spurr, Sutty, Sheridan keeping a good solid flexible lockdown defender that's poised under pressure makes sense even if he is just depth. It's called a rookie list for a reason and this is only his second year. I think he and Collins fit Lyon's mould of solid role-players and just because they aren't B22 I wouldn't equate that to Ross not rating them - if a spot opened up I don't think Ross would hesitate giving them a shot as he'd be confident of them playing their role. Neither are likely to become superstars though.

You could be right but with question marks over the futures of Ibbo, Spurr, Sutty, Sheridan keeping a good solid flexible lockdown defender that's poised under pressure makes sense even if he is just depth. It's called a rookie list for a reason and this is only his second year. I think he and Collins fit Lyon's mould of solid role-players and just because they aren't B22 I wouldn't equate that to Ross not rating them - if a spot opened up I don't think Ross would hesitate giving them a shot as he'd be confident of them playing their role. Neither are likely to become superstars though.
My instincts are rumbling because something doesn't add up. His close down work is pretty much the best in the comp he plays in. The fact the hasn't even been rewarded with a token emergency selection has me half suspecting that he must be missing some KPI's by a long way. E.g. leaving his man to impact contests, metres gained running off; who knows what.
Anyway I hope these rumblings at the back of my mind are wrong.

My instincts are rumbling because something doesn't add up. His close down work is pretty much the best in the comp he plays in. The fact the hasn't even been rewarded with a token emergency selection has me half suspecting that he must be missing some KPI's by a long way. E.g. leaving his man to impact contests, metres gained running off; who knows what.

He's a rookie so he can't play until he's upgraded. Even emergency. I'd say he'd get an upgrade once a spot opens up.

Rookies can't be named emergencies unless upgraded to the senior list. Upgrading rookies has an impact on salary cap not to mention that we may need to the rookie upgrade for a different type of player later in the season.

For me Nyhuis is the natural replacement for Spurr but the club despite what our supporters think rate Spurr very highly. Spurr is 30 this year though and if Nyhuis is any chance of being able to replace him down the track the club will stick by him. We don't exactly have another natural lockdown player IMO. Luke Ryan, Duman and Hughes are very different players.

Last year Nic Newman from Sydney was upgraded at the end of the season after two years on Sydney's rookie list without playing a game. He has now played five games out of eight after debuting at age 24. Braydon Pruess spent the same amount of time on North's rookie list without playing before being upgraded. Paul Duffield also spent two and bit seasons on the rookie list before being upgraded and playing 171 games for Freo. It does happen. Obviously if he plays games it's a good sign but if he doesn't I don't really think it means much at all.

Rookies can't be named emergencies unless upgraded to the senior list. Upgrading rookies has an impact on salary cap not to mention that we may need to the rookie upgrade for a different type of player later in the season.

For me Nyhuis is the natural replacement for Spurr but the club despite what our supporters think rate Spurr very highly. Spurr is 30 this year though and if Nyhuis is any chance of being able to replace him down the track the club will stick by him. We don't exactly have another natural lockdown player IMO. Luke Ryan, Duman and Hughes are very different players.

Last year Nic Newman from Sydney was upgraded at the end of the season after two years on Sydney's rookie list without playing a game. He has now played five games out of eight after debuting at age 24. Braydon Pruess spent the same amount of time on North's rookie list without playing before being upgraded. Paul Duffield also spent two and bit seasons on the rookie list before being upgraded and playing 171 games for Freo. It does happen. Obviously if he plays games it's a good sign but if he doesn't I don't really think it means much at all.
I would expect that forging after career after 2 years on the rookie list without debuting is very much not the norm. Anyway I don't know why I'm arguing; I want the kid to get a chance and make it!

I would expect that forging after career after 2 years on the rookie list without debuting is very much not the norm. Anyway I don't know why I'm arguing; I want the kid to get a chance and make it!
As nyhuis buddy , I see nothing wrong that you are having an opinion . Is up to him to fight into best 22 ,right now we can only speculated.

I doubt there's any glaring deficiencies in any KPI's. He's just stuck in the Collins basket, where he's ready to go and could conceivably be upgraded anytime with our current LTI list.. But the roles he's suited to have a healthy depth of talent in front of them. It'll be the same story with guys like Duman, Ryan, Cox, Sean Darcy - they might show a lot, but until a spot opens up for these youngsters through some sort of injury crisis.. They'll have to bide their time.

It certainly isn't the norm. That I can agree...

But as I pointed out its a long way from impossible. If Spurr gets injured and he doesn't play then it'd be more of a worry but it's hard to see a spot for him in the best 22 ATM and the club isn't going to upgrade him just to reward form when there isn't a spot there.

As others have said he has only just returned from injury as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back