Prediction 2017: Contenders?

Remove this Banner Ad

Leicester City pulled off the impossible in the EPL just over a year ago. They certainly weren't the best side but they racked up the close wins without ever being totally dominant. The top sides never really got going and it all fell into place.
Who knows, it's certainly an exciting season for Freo, that's for sure..

The bulldogs win kind of gave everyone hope. Win enough games to squeeze into the eight. Have a week off to prepare and refresh. Then put together a month of your best football to win the flag.

Nothings impossible, especially if the season continues as it has and there is not really 1 dominant team.

There's a difference between acknowledging the advantage thinking Sandilands is critical to us winning.
Freo managed just fine when Sandi did his turf toes, but have really missed him at times when he's missed a game or two.
Elsewhere I posted Lyon talking centre square strategy pre-Demons game, it showed that Sandi's ruck dominance drastically alters how our team and the opposition sets up. Opponents commit an extra body to the clearance to overcome the ruck advantage, and this allows us to put an extra body in defence. So clearances surely aren't the final measure of Sandi's worth.
In the final minutes against Norf we threw that extra body forward, so once Fyfe and Lachie got the kick away we were able to use the extra number to create the goal.
Could you kick a goal in the last 20 seconds without a Sandi to create the space you need?
But it doesn't always work. Against Richmond in the last minute there was a stoppage on half forward, we had numbers on the north side clearly expecting Sandi to tap it there, but he lost and it went to the south side where Richmond had numbers, and eventually Ellis got the kick away.
So Sandi gives Freo freedom to dictate terms, but that doesn't always mean they execute and take advantage. WB prove you can shark well enough to overcome a weak ruck.
What you don't want is losing Sandi when the players and structures are all adapted to having him.

IMG_0989.jpg This punter would of been pulling their hair out after first two rounds. Now there is a little hole at the end of the tunnel with light coming through it

If you look at my history, I rarely if ever post personal insults.
But your post deserves it.
And now you want to make an argument that winning clearances by +80 in 11 games is not dominating.
Seriously dude, you need to learn something about football statistics and what they mean.

The stats that I see for Sandilands when he plays, makes me comfortable in saying ... there is no player currently in the AFL who has as big an influence on a games result as what Sandilands does ... and I have data to support that. So please go away and pick another Freo player to criticise.

So true, and when Sandilands has a nightmare game (e.g. against the hawks and eagles [this year]) we seriously struggle

How we defend against the top teams with forward lines built around Talls, will define our season.
WC, Adelaide, GWS, games will be the litmus test.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back